Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Is Crewchief is a separate program that you are mapping to your headphones and then have the rest of the audio going to your 5.1 system?

Yes, separate program. It has settings in it for where its audio goes.

... PC configured as 5.1 with Optical ...

5.1 optical only works when encoded as DD or DTS. Otherwise you tend to only get stereo - check what your amp says it's getting! HDMI might work in some cases/setups, apparently. I gave up trying to get digital working and went to using the analogue connections.

5.1 optical only works when encoded as DD or DTS. Otherwise you tend to only get stereo - check what your amp says it's getting! HDMI might work in some cases/setups, apparently. I gave up trying to get digital working and went to using the analogue connections.

Some cards have the encoder DDL (dolby digital live) or the DTS connect that do that job. Actually if you have a decent motherboard, there are drivers that activate the encoder, because its absence is a licensing issue and not a capability issue. I've done it myself last year on a Asus X470 board.

Some cards have the encoder DDL (dolby digital live) or the DTS connect that do that job. Actually if you have a decent motherboard, there are drivers that activate the encoder, because its absence is a licensing issue and not a capability issue. I've done it myself last year on a Asus X470 board.

Oh now that's interesting. I have an Asrock Z370 Taichi MB with Realtek HD audio... it lists "DTS Interactive" which I think my amp should handle. I don't recall that option being there before! I (or MS) updated the driver Sept last year by the looks of it, which is well after I was trying. Seems like it might be worth trying again, thanks!

This is a creative labs 7.1 card and I believe it has DTS and Dolby surround. I configured it as 5.1. I'm not sure how it decodes, but my AV reciever was in 5.1 mode and all including the subwoofer were active.

The motherboard has good audio built in, but it's busy pushing 4 channels of transducers.

• Deleted member 197115

Valve Index through the lens, nice clarity but obvioulsy lacking in colors in black levels comparing to Vive Pro OLED. :(
Annotation 2019-07-08 180127.jpg Click

• Deleted member 197115

Interesting statement in this blog, not sure if pure speculation or there is some data to back this up.
Anyway, enjoy the rumor mill. :)

They (HP) plan another headset for next year to use WMR 2.0 platform (based on Hololens 2).

I agree with many that the joy stick on the Index hand controller should have been centered. Past that I'll see for myself in hopefully just under 3 weeks :) I've seen debates all over the place on this subject.

As far as color goes. The human eye tends to adjust to a wide range of contrast levels, light levels, and warm to cool lighting. As evidenced by many people who are very happy with the color of the Index headsets, it is within this range of subjective color discrimination. Whether the color rendering is an issue for many will depend on their eyes and how they process color. Color fidelity differences as easily seen in an A/B test is much less noticeable in actual use than clarity is. However there are some people who tend to spend more time calibrating their TV's that are more sensitized. YMMV.

As a side note, I understand that women statistically have higher color sensitivity. Maybe we need more women reviewers :)

I did see one guy with an Index who said he used a custom shader to boost the color levels in AC and was then happy with it. So for some people there are ways to make the Index work better.

I don't expect to have any issues, but I also know that the Rift is not known to have the more vibrant colors of the Vive and I've been pretty happy with the color on my Rift.

If you do not agree with the video then in a few days there will be a very similar video with same content just tittle "All the reasons why the Vive Cosmos might have success"
Why are those youtube guys so pathetic making review of products that released yet.

If you do not agree with the video then in a few days there will be a very similar video with same content just tittle "All the reasons why the Vive Cosmos might have success"
Why are those youtube guys so pathetic making review of products that released yet.

That wasn't a review and he specifically said so. He was just pointing out all the challenges HTC will have to overcome for the Cosmos to be a success and I think he has the vast majority right. I would not invest in HTC right now.

If I were a betting man I would put a LOT more stock in the idea that Samsung would put out a successful new headset than HTC. I believe HTC is on borrowed time as a manufacturer in this market and sadly I don't think that they have any IP that sets them apart and would be worth acquiring.

The key difference between say Oculus, Valve, Samsung, HP, Levono etc and HTC is that HTC has been split apart and their VR group is all by themselves now. Most of HTC's assets like their smart phones group have been split off. This makes them underfunded and vulnerable.

Last edited:
Yup, it's building momentum, the tools are improving, and it's a long game.

What I did get out of that is that HTC and others may have revenue streams that don't make the news that is helping them stay afloat while this technology matures.

However StarVR was supposed to be tapping into this big corporate market and it appears that they have some of the best display tech out, yet crickets. So the corporate market isn't a savior for all VR companies.

It's good to hear that they are stepping up to the plate and funding development.

• Deleted member 197115

Index, Reverb, Rift S through the lenses.
Reverb is resolution king, no doubt. Rift S is surprisingly close if not identical to Index, even better in some scenes like ED menu and eye chart (better optics?)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

PSVR, the most commercially successful VR solution today.
And look at the adoption numbers, just 4.3% of total PS4 owners.
ps4-psvr-numbers-q1-2019-e1563555385428.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years