Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

It's interesting that the FOV he is showing looks like a more impressive difference than the numbers alone portray. The vertical range looks a LOT larger here.
View attachment 313006
Yeah, that could be more for demonstrative purpose than result of the actual measurements, 2 degrees vertical difference can't look that drastic. Regardless, any increase is very welcome.
Make sure to take and post measurements when you get yours.

Yeah, that could be more for demonstrative purpose than result of the actual measurements, 2 degrees vertical difference can't look that drastic. Regardless, any increase is very welcome.
Make sure to take and post measurements when you get yours.

The image is a closer match to what the VR Round table guys presented.

I'll check it out and do an A/B on my Rift. I'll actually have both systems set up simultaneously since I'm putting together a box for my daughter to drive the Rift. So I should be able to do a quick switch between them. I may even get my son to bring over his Odyssey+ and computer for a 3 way comparison.

I don't think you can beat doing a direct switch between them within seconds vs. having to remember what one looks like compared to another.

• Deleted member 197115

There was an interesting document also covering FOV measurements, seems like different HMDs have different FOV shape, so it's not all square, that could account for different perceived field of view as well, I'd guess.

• Deleted member 197115

Finally initial impressions review from my favorite VR youtuber.

Interesting comment below his feed.

"I tried a Reverb yesterday against my Index, the Reverb has really terrible build quality and my friend's had the screen flicker issue, like most everyone has, he'll have to send it back. The extreme clarity in the small sweet spot is really crazy clear, but it's not mind-blowing against the Index beacsue of how bad the rest of the image is, you really can't move your eyes, you have to look directly forward 100% of the time. The Index has edge-to-edge clarity which we both preferred, being able to use your eyes to lok around is pretty amazing. The FOV is much wider too and along with the 120/144hz, the Reveb just makes VR seem more real. I thought the Reverb would be great from simming, but I was very wrong, the Index is the clear winner. Of course the controllers are game changing too, there is no way you'll want to use those shitty WMR controllers, they are worse than vive wands, and I made a video of throwing my vive wands away, lol."

My 2nd base station arrived. It took a detour down to Florida before coming back up here. Oh well. It spun up and the light turned green, so all is well. Now to mount this bad boy on my back wall diagonally opposite to the first base unit.

Last edited:
Index scheduled to arrive today, very excited.

I did a few tests with this software on my Rift CV1 yesterday so I have a good objective comparison:
http://testhmd.com/
Can recommend! Thanks @Andrew_WOT ! It's a great VR testing area with all kinds of fun testing corners, audio and visual, like reading tests with distance measurements marking on the floor, very easy FOV measurement tool which disengages head movement so you get a fixed image attached to your HMD, then you scroll red bars in and out of your vision with the joystick and it will give you VFOV and HFOV.
Audio tests with frequency generators etc. Glare or godrays testing. All kinds of tests!

@Hugo. I did the same after @Andrew_WOT brought it to our attention. It's certainly a lot easier to use than the ROV Test by the same author albeit so far I've only reaffirmed my previous horizontal FOV measurements between the Rift, (95), Pimax 5k+ (140) and the Index (110). And all for less than the cost of a beer. Very useful!

Re. the Index, 'kid in a sweet shop' time. You are gonna love it!

That's encouraging. An extra 15 degrees should be enough to be noticed.
I'm still waiting for my confirmation email for my reservation for the end of this month.

@HoiHman @Steve D

How is fogging on the Index?
I have had fogging issues with my Rift, but once it is warmed up, it isn't an issue. I have an anti-fog spray that works well, but has to be reapplied periodically. I was wondering if the reported heat issue might have one useful side effect of keeping the displays fog free.

Are you seeing any issues with heat?
Are your rig fans enough to keep it cool enough for extended periods?

Are you leaving the front face plate on? It looks like there are vent holes on the surface behind it and I would assume it would cool better if you remove that glossy plate.

I have a venturi fan in front of me at about wheel base height when I'm driving and a ceiling fan directly overhead if needed in addition to having my rig in an air conditioned room. Hopefully cooling won't be a problem for me.

Here we go! *insert synthwave sound track

Index.jpg

Last edited:
@HoiHman @Steve D

How is fogging on the Index?
I have had fogging issues with my Rift, but once it is warmed up, it isn't an issue. I have an anti-fog spray that works well, but has to be reapplied periodically. I was wondering if the reported heat issue might have one useful side effect of keeping the displays fog free.

Are you seeing any issues with heat?
Are your rig fans enough to keep it cool enough for extended periods?

Are you leaving the front face plate on? It looks like there are vent holes on the surface behind it and I would assume it would cool better if you remove that glossy plate.

I have a venturi fan in front of me at about wheel base height when I'm driving and a ceiling fan directly overhead if needed in addition to having my rig in an air conditioned room. Hopefully cooling won't be a problem for me.

No fogging issues, but i alway race with windsim

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back