Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
£25 for full version on steam. How is the physics? I thought that was a drifting game or something for some reason. I would like an alternative title for vr
GTR2 under a fiver and in steam sale £2.50! https://store.steampowered.com/app/8790/GTR_2_FIA_GT_Racing_Game/

And you need the HQ patch https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/

And then install crew chief which comes with the VR plugins. The GTR2 forum here on RD very friendly and particulary helpful and they know what they are talking about. If you can do Sol and CSP for Assetto then you can do this!

And mods galore from here https://esport-racing.de and if you want newer car mods like 2018 GT3 pack then google or PM me

Physics are great tbh - I like Assetto for example but GTR2 physics are very good. Think it's from the same team that make Raceroom today. Anyhoo, a fiver...

EDIT: And also use Nvidia inspector which will enable you to increase the AA considerably. Thread in GTR2 forum about it

Last edited:
£25 for full version on steam. How is the physics? I thought that was a drifting game or something for some reason. I would like an alternative title for vr
I think that is the simbin bundle with several older sims - GTR2 on it's own should only be £5

EDIT: ninja'd by @dwightyone :)

I concur with their suggestion for the HQ pack. Also checkout P&G if you like older stuff.

Last edited:

Valve-Deckard-patent-front-speakers.png

...designs of strap and other features in patent going public coincides with actual movement by Valve on the SteamVR back end

...designs of strap and other features in patent going public coincides with actual movement by Valve on the SteamVR back end

The take away I got from that is fingered crossed!!!!! The last time they released some of this information it was 1 month before the product announcement, AND Steam has an event scheduled one month from now....

Crossing fingers and toes that we get an announcement!!!!!!

The take away I got from that is fingered crossed!!!!! The last time they released some of this information it was 1 month before the product announcement, AND Steam has an event scheduled one month from now....

Crossing fingers and toes that we get an announcement!!!!!!
Same! Also of note, a few weeks ago Valve released their first SteamVR environment in years (really good photogrammetry in Mallorca).. fingers crossed!

It'd be great if hardware reviewers could look at which cards (Nvidia or AMD) seem to work best with the various VR headsets.
All they ever seem to be doing of late is rehashing the usual talking points....namely...
Cards are becoming cheaper and more available...all the while, ignoring almost all are still above a supposed two year old MSRP.

It'd be great if hardware reviewers could look at which cards (Nvidia or AMD) seem to work best with the various VR headsets.
All they ever seem to be doing of late is rehashing the usual talking points....namely...
Cards are becoming cheaper and more available...all the while, ignoring almost all are still above a supposed two year old MSRP.
Pretty much the only place that has really done VR performance testing "recently" is Babeltechreviews. The most recent was a 6600XT v 3060 (https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-red-devil-rx-6600-xt-showdown-with-the-rtx-3060/). This is about the only place I know doing consistent VR performance reviews with various hardware and driver comparisons.

Last edited:
I received a Pico Neo 3 link yesterday. Basically its a Quest 2 competitor, very similar in capabilities as a standalone headset but also has the ability to add a displayport cable that provides USB power and ensures no compression on the image from the PC. Had a few races in AC today and it looks nice, the difference going from 2.5k to 4k per eye is pretty noticeable for distant cars as well as the dials.

It hasn't been issue free, had some problems since my steam was not installed in the default place and the scale is a little big at the moment. It is actually a decent headset and its a competitive price.
The issues are pretty bad, lots of image distortion and today the developers said they wont be fixing it. So withdrawing any minor amount of recommendation, it was a headset with potential but its the development team don't care, when this gets released in the USA avoid it. It could have been good but there are so many different types of image distortions and crashing bugs that its more a scam than a working VR headset. Their lack of interest in fixing them makes it a fatal flaw.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. Given my 2080 Ti is still producing the goods even in VR, and with the 40 series seemingly just around the corner it makes no sense to me to go for a 3080 Ti or 3090 at this point.
I saw quite a few old cards on sale on ebay and looked like the price for a 3080 was about 400-500. There has been a flood of cards due to the mining craze dying again, I suspect they will at least be price competitive with the 40 series cards (performance/$).

This thread made me check on availability of cards and ended up finding a new og Nvidia 3070 for retail and I'm pretty chuffed about that. Hopefully crypto stays dead this time and if it's not asking too much take nft's along with it

I tried F1 22 this weekend and i can say with confidence say that vr is not dead.

The F1 game is a very good example of how much a game changes when you change to VR. Playing all official tracks in VR, which are all beautiful made, is pretty awesome and you get a so much better sense of scale compared to the Samsung 49" on which i used to play it.

My RTX 3090 is performing very good and i manage to get a decent 90fps in the Index with a 180-200 super sampling. Great graphics

By the the 40 series will be available, my RTX 3090 will be +2 years old.

Looking back it was a very good investment even though at the time of purchase it was expensive. But i bought it at retail, just before the insane price increase.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

This is the first positive comment on F1 22 VR implementation I've seen.

This is the first positive comment on F1 22 VR implementation I've seen.
The overall implementation is left somewhat wanting - you still have to use the keyboard to navigate the menus (for some reason F1 22 won't allow me to assign menu controls to my wheel)

However the actual driving bit is jaw dropping - it's at least as good as anything else out there with a solid 90FPS. This is medium VR settings on a 2080 Ti with original HP Reverb.

The overall implementation is left somewhat wanting - you still have to use the keyboard to navigate the menus (for some reason F1 22 won't allow me to assign menu controls to my wheel)

However the actual driving bit is jaw dropping - it's at least as good as anything else out there with a solid 90FPS. This is medium VR settings on a 2080 Ti with original HP Reverb.
This is one of the reasons I use a simple xbox controller as a button box.. native menu functions.

After the big patch it runs a lot better in vr for me, stable but I can't get it to not look blurry at any settings or resolution yet, but the driving feels good

I mapped a 4 way joystick to the arrow keys and used toggles in Dirt Rally 2.0 to use my button box.

Are you saying that F1 2022 has no provision for that and that you need a mapped input device?

There are also other tools that let you remap any keyboard keys. For example my StreamDeck XL should be able to assign any keyboard button.

Just saw yet another set of benchmarks that show the 4090 will be over twice as powerful as the 3090.

The upside is that the 4070 will have similar performance to the 3090.

16384 Cuda cores vs. 10496 ( 56% more )
slightly faster memory
Clock speeds are supposed to be way up as well.
60% higher base frequency
48% higher boost frequency
1657565235382.png

At Base frequency that is 1.56 x 1.6 = 2.496 or ~250% more power.
At Boost frequency that is 1.56 x 1.48 = 2.30 or 230% more power.

Once again this is 4090 vs 3090.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%