F1 2011 Is this very good driving or...?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
In India MotionBlur holds the record (the other times are bugged or with assists or whatever, I know Motion he is one the the fastest players on PC. He even have a video about his lap which I can show you if you want) His lap time is 1.17.628 and he is 4th.
the 10th time is kiflas time I know him well too. His time is 1.18.247
25th 1.18.738
50th 1.19.079
100th 1.19.684 (this on is with assists the other are without)

I'm no expert in this pc vs console thing. Maybe after comparing the times we will get a clear picture.

OK so i looked at the India xbox times last night:
10 - 1:17.636 - no assists
25 - 1:18.117 - no assists (this one is Noble 2909's time :) )
50 - 1:18.812 - assists
101 - 1:19.411 - no assists (i didn't list 100 because it was assisted)

so from the looks of it xbox times are 2-5 tenths quicker around here.... weird. But i don't know how many players are on xbox or PC, and in order to make a proper comparison you need to know the ratio of players.

another thing to note was that of the top 100 times only 12 were set without assists.

OK so i looked at the India xbox times last night:
10 - 1:17.636 - no assists
25 - 1:18.117 - no assists (this one is Noble 2909's time :) )
50 - 1:18.812 - assists
101 - 1:19.411 - no assists (i didn't list 100 because it was assisted)

so from the looks of it xbox times are 2-5 tenths quicker around here.... weird. But i don't know how many players are on xbox or PC, and in order to make a proper comparison you need to know the ratio of players.

another thing to note was that of the top 100 times only 12 were set without assists.

Not sure how reliable the results will be as i'm sure some no assists people are using a glitch* to get uber lap times (as well as all of those who extend/cut the track, which India is great for)

Also, there are more people on xbox (99% sure) so the average amount of 'cheats' will/should be higher, therefore resulting in better lap times. I mean if you watch probably atleast the top 20 times around there, all will include running off the track ;)

*Start the lap with no asssists, as soon as you cross the line to start the lap, press start and turn assists on, then as you come up to finish the lap, before you cross the line, pause and turn all assists off again, and stupidly the game see's that as a 'no assists' lap.

That's another gripe i have with the game. For 2012 we need seperate leaderboards for assists/no assists/clean/dirty laps.

Not sure how reliable the results will be as i'm sure some no assists people are using a glitch* to get uber lap times (as well as all of those who extend/cut the track, which India is great for)

Also, there are more people on xbox (99% sure) so the average amount of 'cheats' will/should be higher, therefore resulting in better lap times. I mean if you watch probably atleast the top 20 times around there, all will include running off the track ;)

*Start the lap with no asssists, as soon as you cross the line to start the lap, press start and turn assists on, then as you come up to finish the lap, before you cross the line, pause and turn all assists off again, and stupidly the game see's that as a 'no assists' lap.

That's another gripe i have with the game. For 2012 we need seperate leaderboards for assists/no assists/clean/dirty laps.

Good points. I haven't watched any of the top times laps. So, if they are extending the track and cutting corners, and there are more people on xbox than PC, that would have an effect of the top times.
Also, i had no idea about pausing and switching assist levels.... that is disappointing. I would agree with separate leader-boards for sure. Or at the very least, a way to sort out the results so it will show only the results you want to see. They can sort you and your friends into a list so why not sort the no assists from the assists and such.

Good points. I haven't watched any of the top times laps. So, if they are extending the track and cutting corners, and there are more people on xbox than PC, that would have an effect of the top times.
Also, i had no idea about pausing and switching assist levels.... that is disappointing. I would agree with separate leader-boards for sure. Or at the very least, a way to sort out the results so it will show only the results you want to see. They can sort you and your friends into a list so why not sort the no assists from the assists and such.
Indeed. If you want the best possible results with the least amount of variables, then Monaco would be best for obvious reasons. That would atleast get rid of the cutters/extenders :)

Really, they just need to take a leaf out of Forza's book. 4 wheels outside the track boundaries = dirty lap, as well as maybe pinching their replay system! It would make league racing so much easier, to monitor cutters/extenders, as well as provide multiple camera angles of incidents, to come to a fair conclusion. #i'llstopdreamingnow :p

Indeed. If you want the best possible results with the least amount of variables, then Monaco would be best for obvious reasons. That would atleast get rid of the cutters/extenders :)

Really, they just need to take a leaf out of Forza's book. 4 wheels outside the track boundaries = dirty lap, as well as maybe pinching their replay system! It would make league racing so much easier, to monitor cutters/extenders, as well as provide multiple camera angles of incidents, to come to a fair conclusion. #i'llstopdreamingnow :p

The thing with Monaco is the Pool exit Bollard. When we raced there this season i saw that thing spinning on the track more times than not. Not sure how much time can be gained there or if you get warnings for cutting it. Also, you can gain large amounts of time at Sainte Devote by cutting there.

4 tyres off really needs to be addressed in the next version. I can't remember if it was F12009 or F1 2010 that had the tighter TT mode penalties for leaving the track.... i wish F1 2011 was more like that.

It's something that I have never really understood how they allowed into the game as just a few laps running on any track revelas the problems so surely it was something they could \ should have picked up on straight away!!

Definitely agree about grabbing Forza's replay system F1's replays are appaling in comparison to pretty much any other racing game \ sim.

The point you made about startting the lap with no assists then switching to assists and then back again is something I wasn't aware of.. thats a crazy loophole to allow :rolleyes:

Hey,

i saw this thread yesterday and read it out of interest, because on the first view i also find his huge amout of grip in high speed corners unrealistic, but after watching a few videos of him, i found a few things out, which leads to fast lap times and Noble 2909 also inspired me too find that much time he gain every lap and to improve myself. I just want to write some basics down, sure, some may say it's clear what i will write later, but for many ppl, i'm sure it's a help. And maybe Noble 2909 can confirm some of the things i write down now.

First, you should know i'm playing on the PC version of F1 2011 without any assists, that's the first step you should take, otherwise you don't need to read further. Before reading this thread, when i was racing with my friends i always took setups from racedepartment, mostly from KyleDunning, these setups are great, and i'm fast with his setups, no more to say, but the setups aren't PERFECT for my driving style because i really hate understeer in corners, that's something i can't live with and i can't go as fast as i want, most of his setups are fast and stable, but for my driving style, i suffer understeer. I prefer a setup with more oversteer, i need a good and fast turn in into corners, that's something i can't achieve with understeer, because my front doesn't turn in as i want to.

The first step for me was to create a basic setup on a specific track (i choosed Montreal) and then read some guides to really understand what each value in the setup menu does. (e.g FW/RW, springs,...) As i played rFactor a while ago, it wasn't so hard for me to get a good basic setup. These setup consists of more oversteer then understeer, so e.g i set up more frontwing then rearwing, to gain that effect, just watch out you don't go extrem on these values. I started with a 11/9 setup for the wings. For the gear ratio, i took the ones from ppl who uploaded their setups here on racedepartment, but if you want to set up your own gear ratio, choose a track where you want to create a setup, then choose the slowest corner and adjust the first gear for it, then take the longest and fastest straight and adjust your 7th gear with and without DRS, so that you get as few seconds as possible into the limiter at the end of the straight.

At this point, i had a good setup and did some TT at montreal, improving about 1-1,5 seconds of my previously best time, getting into top 125 within ~10 laps and being one of the few ppl in this range driving with no assists. That's sure an improvement there! But i was still not pleased with braking, because you can gain a lot time while braking into corners with no lockups but still as late as possible so you get the apex right and get as much speed as possible out of the corner. With my setup created, braking improved a lot, but i'm driving with a Logitech Driving Force GT and the pedals are the weak point of this wheel, because you don't get a good feedback from it, nor you don't feel the pedal, there's no real resistance. The main problem for me was that i was braking too early but also braked not enough, so i suffered understeer (not so much with my own setup) and let the car roll around the corner, losing important tenth each corner. So the next step was to look at your wheel settings in-game. For me, the key was to increase the braking-sensitivity to a few %. I never braked hard with this pedals, as i said i have no real feedback, if i braked to hard i locked up my tyres too fast. After adjusting the braking-sensitivity, i quickly felt an improvement, i could brake later, but still get the perfect apex of the corner and being able to accelerate out of it faster, it's more direct with almost no understeer.

That's just a few things you should take in mind which are crucial for getting fast lap times, or the fastest lap out there. It's really important to get a setup right which fits your driving style. If you followed my "guide" until now and you convert those informations you should be able to drive faster, but you can't expect to be faster from a few laps! It takes time, you need to learn the limits of your car and especially to learn the track you're driving on, to get the most out of it. This takes me to my last point: Learning the track and getting each corner right.

What i quickly saw from the videos posted here, Noble 2909 take every meter of the track and use this to his advantage, but still doesn't cut corners often. He often takes the curbs fully with high risk,but with the right setup it's possible to do so. (e.g spring stiffness) This results in getting the next corner right and take the next corner with as much speed as possible. In F1 2011 you really can attack the curbs hard, in F1 2010 you couldn't. F1 2011 is way off from realistic, you are able to attack curbs harder, brake into corners later, and accelerate faster out of corners then in real life. Another example: Noble 2909 brakes really late into high speed corners, he takes the entry almost flat out and brakes in the middle of the corners, with the right setup it's possible, that's just something you need to learn, you need to learn how much on which corners of any track you can attack without loosing too much grip or getting too much understeer.

Remember, these are just some basics, you need to find your own setup for your driving style and learn each track, And it takes a lot of laps to get a fast time, but if you achieve a fast lap, it feels good, because you know your own setup works and you're doing right,

I hope i could help some of you guys out here, if my "guide" is too long to read for you, or you may think it's "nothing new" then it's ok for you, but i think i can help some of you guys for sure! Have a nice day.

you say that adjusting spring stiffness helps to attack curbs...but which way should I adjust my springs to be able to run over them?
I tend to run very stiff suspension and don't have too much of a problem with curbs, corner grip seems really good too. The only thing that seems to suggest that I shouldn't run super stiff suspension is tire wear. Also with the braking, you say noble tends to brake really late and also brakes into the corner...these both seem counter intuitive/ mutually exclusive...wouldn't setting a slightly front brake balance help you brake quicker? (therefore later)

But if you set your brake balance forward then you risk locking up and/or extreme under steer into corners. trail braking (as you said noble was doing, or braking into corners) would indicate more rear brake bias...but stopping distances are supposed to be greatly extended when you move the bias back.

I have a basic understanding of real physics and how set up changes can relate, but I'm more interested in knowing f1 2011's physics...because they don't seem to make sense. any help is appreciated.

Hey John Robertson,

i can't tell you how the F1 2011 physics work in detail. For the springs, high value of front spring stiffness gives you better traction, better handling, but you suffer understeer. More rear spring stiffness results in more oversteer, and more tyre wear. Mostly i run 11/10 settings and it works really well on curbs. But it's a part where i'm still testing. As of braking, i saw that Noble breaks late into high speed corners, taking as much speed as possible into the corner. Brake bias is not much worth playing with IMHO, you should not go over 40/60 or 60/40, but for me i like a bit more brake bias to the rear, however it would be better to put more brake bias to the front for harder braking zones. Even with brake bias more to the rear, i rarely lock up my tyres or slide while turning into a corner.

you say that adjusting spring stiffness helps to attack curbs...but which way should I adjust my springs to be able to run over them?
I tend to run very stiff suspension and don't have too much of a problem with curbs, corner grip seems really good too. The only thing that seems to suggest that I shouldn't run super stiff suspension is tire wear. Also with the braking, you say noble tends to brake really late and also brakes into the corner...these both seem counter intuitive/ mutually exclusive...wouldn't setting a slightly front brake balance help you brake quicker? (therefore later)

But if you set your brake balance forward then you risk locking up and/or extreme under steer into corners. trail braking (as you said noble was doing, or braking into corners) would indicate more rear brake bias...but stopping distances are supposed to be greatly extended when you move the bias back.

I have a basic understanding of real physics and how set up changes can relate, but I'm more interested in knowing f1 2011's physics...because they don't seem to make sense. any help is appreciated.

Actually Noble is understeering a lot. He plays with an understeering car. Watch his videos carefully. He just knows how to take the corner and it looks like his car isn't understeering but it is. And it's a lot. :)

just watched Noble's videos, it's simply incredible driving. if only we had proper F1 TV replay views with attached speedometer, throttle and brake indicators that'll be awesome to try replicate his driving style, as right now it's just hard staring at his steering! :p

on a side note, it's nice to have these guys from ARL league here thou they weren't that active to give us tips and advice rather than just cutting them down with suspicion. racedepartment has been a good community for the past and current F1 PC gamers, compared to the mess @ codemasters forums. i'm even banned from viewing their forums cos of their weird IP range blocks.so please don't spoil this here.

nway thanks MattyG for the setup, will try Noble's driving style. btw would you have a video of urself racing too that i can view? and maybe post a setup of yours too if your kind enough to share? :)

I had this game on Xbox360 for my son but i never tried it myself before but after reading this thread i had a quick go and i can confirm what Zoltan said earlier cars does seem to have more grip for some reason and on average i was half a second quicker compare to my pc times and this is with xbox360 steering wheel. I can find another half a second easily if i put some some more practice in with that wheel.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back