Is This All I Can Expect From VR in AC?

Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the "Computech" sub-forum. But since my numbers are from AC, I'm posting this here.

Having just upgraded my graphics card, my system specs are now: i7-7700 (Not K) CPU, 16 Gigs Ram, Geforce 1660ti (6 Gigs) videocard, Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset. In AC, from fpsVR, this system is giving me 83 fps, 18% reprojection when running solo around Road America, but only 45 FPS, 50% reprojection when racing 20 AI opponents around Road America.

All graphic settings in AC (Content Manager) are either set to OFF or Minimal.

Is this really all that I can expect from this system? Or are there further settings to adjust somewhere to get the FPS up when racing in VR? I'm asking because I've read some posts saying that some guys are achieving " a solid " 90 FPS in AC VR. (If so, what the heck kind of systems do they have?)

FWIW - with FRAPS, on single screen, I get approx. 175 fps running solo, and approx. 80 fps racing AI with the same race and graphics settings as above.

Do any of these numbers seem low to you guys? If so, what can be done to improve them (especially in VR)?

Thanks!

What's the consensus on best CPU for VR performance in AC?

Would an i9900k be worth the extra costs from a i8700k? Seems like clock speed is king rather than multiple cores?

....And I'll add another "consensus" question, just to confuse matters.....

What's the consensus on what's most important for maximizing VR (specifically WMR, if that matters) performance in AC:

CPU Speed?
GPU?
or Ram Speed? (assuming 16 GIgs Ram).

• Deleted member 197115

My i8700 bottlenecks my 1070 with a big grid...if I am interpreting the "main t" data correctly in render stats
9900k will definitely help but they way AC is coded, not by a huge margin.
I have moved from i7-5930K 6-Core to i9-9900K 8-Core, both overclocked. I can be more relaxed with grid size and graphics settings but still full grid, some mod track/car, night, rain, and it starts nose diving.
Other games saw full benefit though, e.g. Division.

• Deleted member 197115

....And I'll add another "consensus" question, just to confuse matters.....

What's the consensus on what's most important for maximizing VR (specifically WMR, if that matters) performance in AC:

CPU Speed?
GPU?
or Ram Speed? (assuming 16 GIgs Ram).
As with a race car setup you need to balance all of them.
RAM speed is easy, just overclock to the highest.
GPU vs CPU, you need to monitor which tanks first and address the weak point.

Why can't you just use fpsVR, it has two graphs side by side, GPU on the left and CPU on the right, you can tell right away which one is holding frame time back.

Don't know if its related but I've been messing about with an old GTX460 this week, (waiting for new card to arrive). A number of times I've been stuck at half my refresh rate and have not figured why, but a simple reboot sorted it, next time it happens try a reboot.

For VR.

1) cpu speed ( single core speed)
2) gpu power
3). Ram.

That more or less the importance of items needed.
With the caveat that if you are CPU bound, increasing ram speed might alleviate the problem and might be cheaper than getting new CPU. i have 3k MHz ram and I haven't felt the need to overclock it yet (besides XMP out of the box overclock already there that is)

With the caveat that if you are CPU bound, increasing ram speed might alleviate the problem and might be cheaper than getting new CPU. i have 3k MHz ram and I haven't felt the need to overclock it yet (besides XMP out of the box overclock already there that is)

RAM overclocking is lot to deal with if you want to max out performance. You get performance from both a mhz increase and timings along with a number of voltages. All need to work hand in hand. It's not easy as changing a multiplier on a CPU (+ vcore).

If someone is looking to get maximum RAM performance the first setup is to make sure you have B-Die kit. This is limited to intel platforms. I know the AMD platforms don't scale up past 3333mhz well due to IMC limitations.

FWIW I play this game with everything on max settings and Steam SS at 202% (value chosen by Steam) and it runs perfectly on VR without any reprojection and solid 90 FPS.
i57600K, 16 GB 3200 RAM, 1080Ti
Still it doesn't look nowhere near as good as Project Cars 2 but I guess it's normal being an older game.

FWIW I play this game with everything on max settings and Steam SS at 202% (value chosen by Steam) and it runs perfectly on VR without any reprojection and solid 90 FPS.
i57600K, 16 GB 3200 RAM, 1080Ti
Still it doesn't look nowhere near as good as Project Cars 2 but I guess it's normal being an older game.

What single core clock speed are you running? With how many AI is this? Are you using Sol mod?

I’m using a Titan XP and i7 6850K with 32Gb 3200 DDR4 14, Samsung 850 SSD.. I got Sol installed and run most settings medium, smoke minimum, PP to Sol, shadows maximum (less flickering), MSAA 2x, reflections medium, mirrors high, smart mirrors on in Sol, SS 1.5, getting 90fps in VR on every track when alone, but more than 5 AI and it starts to drop at start and is hitting ASW with 45fps if more than 7 AI. Seriously considering to buy a i9 9900K, don’t think my GPU is a problem, should be about the same as a 1080Ti, RAM seems fine too, it’s just those damn AI hitting the CPU... GPU doesn’t seem to break a sweat in any situation.

Last edited:
I'm running a GTX1080TI with a I9-9900K overclocked @ 5.1 Ghz. I get almost constant 90 fps with almost all settings to max and with 20 AI racing RSS Formula Hybrid 2018 and ACF1 2019. It's really about the CPU. Before I had a i7-7700 and I wasn't able to race against more than 6 AI .. now with the i9-9900K it's a world of difference and so much more joy to play ;-)

What single core clock speed are you running? With how many AI is this? Are you using Sol mod?

I’m using a Titan XP and i7 6850K with 32Gb 3200 DDR4 14, Samsung 850 SSD.. I got Sol installed and run most settings medium, smoke minimum, PP to Sol, shadows maximum (less flickering), MSAA 2x, reflections medium, mirrors high, smart mirrors on in Sol, SS 1.5, getting 90fps in VR on every track when alone, but more than 5 AI and it starts to drop at start and is hitting ASW with 45fps if more than 7 AI. Seriously considering to buy a i9 9900K, don’t think my GPU is a problem, should be about the same as a 1080Ti, RAM seems fine too, it’s just those damn AI hitting the CPU... GPU doesn’t seem to break a sweat in any situation.

I forgot about that, I drive mostly in practice mode alone or mods with AI traffic. I'm more into pure driving than racing and I haven't installed Sol yet either so that could certainly make a difference in performance.
I don't think it's a problem with your system, certainly, but the thing is I can run PC2 with very high settings (except for a few things on medium) with 16-24 cars and I never had any problem. AC might be different but it shouldn't be more demanding than PC2 in my opinion, I don't know.

I'm running a GTX1080TI with a I9-9900K overclocked @ 5.1 Ghz. I get almost constant 90 fps with almost all settings to max and with 20 AI racing RSS Formula Hybrid 2018 and ACF1 2019. It's really about the CPU. Before I had a i7-7700 and I wasn't able to race against more than 6 AI .. now with the i9-9900K it's a world of difference and so much more joy to play ;-)

holy crap that's 1 bad ass PC! what ram are you using, what speed? Also what headset. wish I could build a system to run like yours.

I forgot about that, I drive mostly in practice mode alone or mods with AI traffic. I'm more into pure driving than racing and I haven't installed Sol yet either so that could certainly make a difference in performance.
I don't think it's a problem with your system, certainly, but the thing is I can run PC2 with very high settings (except for a few things on medium) with 16-24 cars and I never had any problem. AC might be different but it shouldn't be more demanding than PC2 in my opinion, I don't know.

Yes, in PC2 I can also run most things on high and get 90fps even with a full 32 grid, it stays a bang solid 90fps, yet with AC anything more than 7 AI and things go downhill... I think AC calculates the AI physics way more intensely than PC2.. In rF2 I can run most things high and get 90fps with around 16 AI.

Sol uses quite a bit of CPU, it’s around 10-20%, depending on what settings. The lighting FX eats a lot of CPU, the smart mirrors and the weather FX. But damn, it looks so much better than vanilla AC, I can’t go back:unsure:

Sol might be the reason why I’ll be getting a new MB and i9 9900K...

• Deleted member 197115

It's mostly single rendering thread problem, not physics.
For me AC works many folds better than PC2, but this is WMR. Couldn't make PC run half decently without reprojection which I can't stand.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back