Is This All I Can Expect From VR in AC?

Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the "Computech" sub-forum. But since my numbers are from AC, I'm posting this here.

Having just upgraded my graphics card, my system specs are now: i7-7700 (Not K) CPU, 16 Gigs Ram, Geforce 1660ti (6 Gigs) videocard, Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset. In AC, from fpsVR, this system is giving me 83 fps, 18% reprojection when running solo around Road America, but only 45 FPS, 50% reprojection when racing 20 AI opponents around Road America.

All graphic settings in AC (Content Manager) are either set to OFF or Minimal.

Is this really all that I can expect from this system? Or are there further settings to adjust somewhere to get the FPS up when racing in VR? I'm asking because I've read some posts saying that some guys are achieving " a solid " 90 FPS in AC VR. (If so, what the heck kind of systems do they have?)

FWIW - with FRAPS, on single screen, I get approx. 175 fps running solo, and approx. 80 fps racing AI with the same race and graphics settings as above.

Do any of these numbers seem low to you guys? If so, what can be done to improve them (especially in VR)?

Thanks!

I've run it twice now. With GSync ON = 5972 With GSYNC OFF = 5785

I have 2 results files, but don't know how to attach them here.

Did you run regular firestrike or timespy? If you ran firestrike, there is something sriously wrong with your system as a system with a 1060 6GB can easily get double that. Screenshot the final result and there should be a compare tab where you can see your performance compared to people with similar systems.

Last edited:
I ran TimeSpy to get those scores and the Compare Tab showed me at 52% for comparable systems. I assume that means almost exactly median or average.
Well, no. That was the tab of your system compared to all other systems. Sadly, you are the only one with your system. A GTX 1070 has about 1000 more points which in itself means nothing. But the test seems to show your system is fine. Which begs the question of why is A.C. not playing nicely? I mean, your CPU should be fine... really... hmmmm. It runs fine when not in VR am I correct?

Well, no. That was the tab of your system compared to all other systems. Sadly, you are the only one with your system. A GTX 1070 has about 1000 more points which in itself means nothing. But the test seems to show your system is fine. Which begs the question of why is A.C. not playing nicely? I mean, your CPU should be fine... really... hmmmm. It runs fine when not in VR am I correct?

As far as I can tell, Yes.

No - I have not tried a fresh install of AC. If I do that, I suppose I'd have to re-install all mods and car/track add-ons (except for Kunos DLC) again too right? (Frankly, that would be a nightmare....)

Not sure of what you mean by using the "beta branch of SteamVR".....

No - I have not tried a fresh install of AC. If I do that, I suppose I'd have to re-install all mods and car/track add-ons (except for Kunos DLC) again too right? (Frankly, that would be a nightmare....)

No actually it is very easy ..when you ask steam to delete, all your mods are left ..so you just copy and paste to your fresh instal..I very much doubt it will make any difference though.

Using anything less than a 1080ti, you have no choice but to 45fps asw mode...even a 1080ti will struggle at times trying to hold 90fps ...you will actually, soon get used to 45fps.

Ahhh. Too many threads. Yes you would have tp reinstall mods though you can probably back them up using content manager. If you right click steamVR on steam and select properties in the following menu you have a tab saying "beta". Selecting it will allow you to opt into the beta build of steamVR. That might help... or not. I would really recommend a fresh install of AC.

Quickly went through this thread and seems that CPU limitation has been discussed but its importance is overlooked.
I have the hmd odyssey+ and only gtx 1060 6gb version and gfx settings somewhere at the medium level. Framerate is 90fps all the time if solo and with 10 ai's am still running pretty solid 90fps.
Did not get this performace with my previous cpu a 8600k @5.2ghz, it was too vulnerable for dips and decided to check if 9700k two more cores help. And it helps at least at @4.9ghz.

So after my experiences I recommend the best possible cpu power for VR

Quickly went through this thread and seems that CPU limitation has been discussed but its importance is overlooked.
I have the hmd odyssey+ and only gtx 1060 6gb version and gfx settings somewhere at the medium level. Framerate is 90fps all the time if solo and with 10 ai's am still running pretty solid 90fps.
Did not get this performace with my previous cpu a 8600k @5.2ghz, it was too vulnerable for dips and decided to check if 9700k two more cores help. And it helps at least at @4.9ghz.

So after my experiences I recommend the best possible cpu power for VR
Ac is not multithreaded so two more cores are not going to help. I have a 6700k and I am fine... his CPU should be enough.

Ac is not multithreaded so two more cores are not going to help. I have a 6700k and I am fine... his CPU should be enough.
Well I only speak what I saw with my own system. Maybe the wmr and windows stuff are less bothering the core/cores which take care of ac when there's more cores. When I check the task manager cpu usage after driving I see there's lot of activity on every core not just 1 or two. While on desktop every core are idling more or less

• Deleted member 197115

DX11, very few titles support DX12 and usually it's optional and introduces either performance or stability issues. UWP games are the only exception.

race_settings.JPG gfx_settings.JPG
Did a quick test: 1 lap race around Monza with 17 AI cars

I tried to maintain as many AI's in sight as possible, to maximize framerate drops - so I drove behind the pack.
Some of my gfx setting are visible in the attached picture, others are: steering wheel visible, driver hidden and no on screen apps.

The race average FPS on my Odyssey+ was 88.7 and this is with my stock gtx 1060 6gb

My other relevant system specs are 9700k @4.9ghz 16gb 3200 mhz

Hope this helps OP or others to decide what to prioritize when upgrading their WMR system

What multithreading we are talking about here and how DX12 helps?
In AC and most other sims it's single rendering thread that bottlenecks most of the time. You need graphics engine that support mutithreaded rendering, I don't think DX11 or DX12 matters. Could be wrong.
Good article describing the root of the problem
https://medium.com/@toncijukic/draw-calls-in-a-nutshell-597330a85381
Completely right. Even of the API is DX12 if the game is not programmed to use multiple threads it won't. Also there are very few titles who utilize dx12 (which can give us a ballpark on how much of our lives we will have to endure without the newest toy ray tracing) and it is not a magic bullet. For instance, a 900 series you will suffer a bit in dx12 due to not being able to utilize parallel computing very well due to the lack of rendering pipelines (iirc). And a game properly programmed in dx11 will perform better than a poorly programmed dx12 game. It depends. Dx11 already has a lot of tools to deal with multithreading. It is up to the developer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back