Is This All I Can Expect From VR in AC?

Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the "Computech" sub-forum. But since my numbers are from AC, I'm posting this here.

Having just upgraded my graphics card, my system specs are now: i7-7700 (Not K) CPU, 16 Gigs Ram, Geforce 1660ti (6 Gigs) videocard, Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset. In AC, from fpsVR, this system is giving me 83 fps, 18% reprojection when running solo around Road America, but only 45 FPS, 50% reprojection when racing 20 AI opponents around Road America.

All graphic settings in AC (Content Manager) are either set to OFF or Minimal.

Is this really all that I can expect from this system? Or are there further settings to adjust somewhere to get the FPS up when racing in VR? I'm asking because I've read some posts saying that some guys are achieving " a solid " 90 FPS in AC VR. (If so, what the heck kind of systems do they have?)

FWIW - with FRAPS, on single screen, I get approx. 175 fps running solo, and approx. 80 fps racing AI with the same race and graphics settings as above.

Do any of these numbers seem low to you guys? If so, what can be done to improve them (especially in VR)?

Thanks!

Doing that raised the average FPS to 89.6. But, of course, looks terrible. I guess that's the max that I can squeeze out of this GPU?

Thanks!

Most likely, yes. For reference, I'm running a 4790K (stock clock speed) and a GTX1080 and I have 32GB DDR3 (or 4? Whatever the newest one is for the motherboard that supports the old chipset is). I'm constantly running at 45FPS in a field of ~20-25 identical cars at well optimized tracks, with shadows off and reflections on static, with no pp filter. Often I'm lower than that, or get stutters on some tracks. Since moving to VR I don't think I've ever seen 90FPS.

• Deleted member 197115

Did everything except the LOD settings adjustment and turning reprojection off (because I couldn't find them). FPS is up to 87.6 running solo now, but image looks like crap, of course.

Where do I find that wmrsettings.xml file?
If you didn't go in to enable it, it's off.
You might get better results on your system turning it on permanently, this way you can push some settings up as it will run at 45fps.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings"

Code:
 "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

Thanks, Andrew. But here's an interesting phenomenon with this 1660 ti card.

I did a Windows system restore to a time before I started fiddling with settings today. I immediately got 89 FPS when running solo (Practice mode) in VR, which I'm perfectly happy with. I then switched to Race against 20 AI and the FPS dipped to 45. I then lowered the number of opponents to 1 and the FPS stayed at 45. I then went back to Practice mode and still only got 45 FPS. (And - Yes - I closed and re-started fpsVR each time, but did NOT close and re-start CM each time).

Then I decided to close and then re-open Content Manager. Ran solo again and was back up to 89 FPS. Then I closed and re-opened CM again and immediately ran a race against only 1 opponent, and again got only 45 FPS.

So, it appears that running ANY race, no matter how few opponents, cuts the FPS in half for me! I wonder if others have experienced this? Or perhaps it's a bug in CM?

I'm probably more confused than ever now. It makes me wonder whether the problem is the GPU or weather it's CM.

When I have some time, I'll try to run "native" (non-CM) AC following these same steps to see if I get similar framerate drops, and I'll report back in this thread. Whether or not the framerate drops like this again between Practice and Race will help me determine whether or not a different vidcard is worth exploring.

In the meantime I thank you for all of the suggestions in working thru this.

Thanks, Andrew. But here's an interesting phenomenon with this 1660 ti card.

I did a Windows system restore to a time before I started fiddling with settings today. I immediately got 89 FPS when running solo (Practice mode) in VR, which I'm perfectly happy with. I then switched to Race against 20 AI and the FPS dipped to 45. I then lowered the number of opponents to 1 and the FPS stayed at 45. I then went back to Practice mode and still only got 45 FPS. (And - Yes - I closed and re-started fpsVR each time, but did NOT close and re-start CM each time).

Then I decided to close and then re-open Content Manager. Ran solo again and was back up to 89 FPS. Then I closed and re-opened CM again and immediately ran a race against only 1 opponent, and again got only 45 FPS.

So, it appears that running ANY race, no matter how few opponents, cuts the FPS in half for me! I wonder if others have experienced this? Or perhaps it's a bug in CM?

I'm probably more confused than ever now. It makes me wonder whether the problem is the GPU or weather it's CM.

When I have some time, I'll try to run "native" (non-CM) AC following these same steps to see if I get similar framerate drops, and I'll report back in this thread. Whether or not the framerate drops like this again between Practice and Race will help me determine whether or not a different vidcard is worth exploring.

In the meantime I thank you for all of the suggestions in working thru this.

Well, here's what I found in "native (non-CM)" AC. The exact same thing happens. Running solo in Practice yields FPS of 89, while running a race with even only 1 opponent drops the FPS to 45.

I'm going to start a new thread asking if others find the same thing.

Thanks.

That behaviour is indeed odd. Your you seems to be equivalent to mine (980 ti) so you should have some leeway in settings. Your experiment with AI seems to suggest your cpu is to blame. Do you know someone with another desktop you can plug your card into?

HI Scott,

Yes, I'm running the Shader's Patch because it's needed for Sol (At least I think it is...).

I haven't noted my CPU/GPU temps, but will check them tomorrow. But it would be strange if it only throttled back in "Quick Race", even with only one AI opponent, and then, one minute later it's back to FPS 89 in "Practice", as long as I re-start AC, no?

You make a food point regarding thermal issues. Disable shaders and give it a go

Hmmm.. My mistake: Custom Shaders Patch is installed but has been DISabled along.

However, the PC has been on for a couple of hours now (although I haven't been using it) and now I'm only getting 45 FPS even in Practice mode. A quick look at temps in fpsVR showed:

GPU=53 C
CPU=48 C

These seem pretty high to me, What do you think? Perhaps I need to look at better case cooling?

I'll need to check temps first thing in am, I guess.

Thanks

Can't get on TS right now, since it's going on 10pm here in the east, and I have to get up early tomorrow.

Maybe later on this week? Lemme know. Going to bed right now.

Thanks.
Your fps drop whit IA look to be a limited cpu related problem. You should try disable Multithreading in the BIOS.be sure to have the latest shaders patch version. Go on the Discord channel

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back