Is there less grip since the latest update?

Dan Allen

I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.
...is there less grip on the tracks since the latest update (21.13)? I've got the track setting to the Fast setting and I'm losing grip on the same corners constantly i.e. coming out of Maggotts at Silverstone.

Bloody frustrating me. I'm using the same setups which worked well before the update and can no longer get away with what I used to be able to get away with :/

Am I going mad or is this something other people experienced too? Whatever it is, it's damn frustrating!

I thought I was imagining that I had less grip. Nice to know I'm not the only one imagining it. Shared delusion is much better :)

Honestly though I've had so little time to play in the last month I'd have to do a bit more testing to be sure.

@Dan Allen
You should've expected to find less grip, if you set the track to anything other than Optimum.
These options have the following numerical values:

Optimum:
Session Start: 100
Ramdomness:
Lap Gain:1

Fast:
Session Start: 97
Ramdomness: 20
Lap Gain: 20

Green:
Session Start: 92
Ramdomness: 20
Lap Gain: 10

Slow:
Session Start: 94
Ramdomness: 15
Lap Gain: 60

Old:
Session Start: 86
Ramdomness: 30
Lap Gain: 50

Dust:
Session Start: 83
Ramdomness: 10
Lap Gain: 18

(Source)

Explaination of Randomness value:
"Randomness adds or subtracts a percentage to the starting grip.

Example for the "old" preset:

Means that the starting grip is 86%, but with a random margin of +/- 3%. Think that even 1% difference is CLEARLY noticeable while driving."
directly from Kunos
(Source)

Lap Gain:
Value of number of laps per car to add 1% grip.

@Dan Allen
Example for the "old" preset:

Means that the starting grip is 86%, but with a random margin of +/- 3%. Think that even 1% difference is CLEARLY noticeable while driving."
directly from Kunos
(Source)

Lap Gain:
Value of number of laps per car to add 1% grip.
So for an "old preset" race with a grid of 9 cars, after 15 laps, grip would be 15*9/50 = 3% higher than at the start of the race?

In the real world tarmac grip varies a lot depending on numerous factors. So chose whatever you feel like because all of them simulate reality.

If you are hot-lapping or testing a set up, go for optimum (constant 100% grip), as this way you have one variable less to worry about.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.5%