Is there demand for an additional skin pack(s)?

Björn

Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle
Hey guys,

during today's Mini Friday TS session, the topic of Alex' FBMW livery initiated a brief discussion on car skins other than WTCC/Minis.
Personally, I've always liked both the variety and the ability to make a car 'yours' our skin packs offer, and given the size of the WTCC and Mini packs, I think I'm not the only one ;)
With WTCC and STCC2 alternating, I think it would be a great idea to introduce a STCC2 skin pack or incorporate it into the WTCC one to form a new 'TCC skinpack' allowing every driver to have up to 2 skins (one for each series) added to it - it just so happens that the STCC2 templates are already present in our download resources

But why stop there? I just scoured the webs for more templates and I think I got everything covered - Caterhams, Rads, F3000, FBMW, IFM, FRR (should we ever drive it ;)), Retro's, WTCC87, GTs.. everything we've driven for the past months seems to be there :)
However, all combined and 7zipped weighs in at a whopping ~175MB, might've to be splitted for comfort ;)

However, before any uploads are started - would there be actual interest in this? If so, in which varieties?

- alter the WTCC skin pack to a new one combining it with STCC2 skins?
- add a new STCC2 skin pack?
- add a new 'miscellaneous' skin pack?

Make a general RD skinpack for Race07. Inside the RD folder, there should be subfolders for each driver and in their folder all the files needed for their skins to work. Style of file placement inside those folders is dependand on every person but once they make up how they want to do it, they should stick to it so updates only overwrite what has been changed and there is no mismatching, duplicating or other problems.

If its is a 500mb skinpack, why not? I mean, we live in 2014 where 500mb is nothing.

You'll not hear me complaining. 50% of my time spent on racing sims is making liveries for the cars, as one day I hope for it to be my career! It's great to be able to see who you're racing against from a glance of their livery.

I too have all the templates for everything is anyone needs any.

Make a general RD skinpack for Race07. Inside the RD folder, there should be subfolders for each driver and in their folder all the files needed for their skins to work. Style of file placement inside those folders is dependand on every person but once they make up how they want to do it, they should stick to it so updates only overwrite what has been changed and there is no mismatching, duplicating or other problems.

If its is a 500mb skinpack, why not? I mean, we live in 2014 where 500mb is nothing.

Great point(s), especially as the Mini skinpack weighs in at just below 15mb although it contains quite a lot of (partially inactive) skins.
Cleaning it up (deleting drivers who have been inactive for X months) every once in a while, I think a 'global' skinpack should be a good way of handling things - as long as @Justin Swan / staff in general are okay with that, of course :)

File structure per user sounds good and would actually help with cleaning up since one wouldn't have to check all folders for a certain user's skins.
As far as subfolders are concerned.. yeah, I'd leave it up to each user, with the restriction that it's kept at one level beneath that user's folder, e.g.

- RD Race07 Skinpack (root folder)
--- John Doe
----- FBMW (dds & ini files in here)
----- Leon (dds & ini files in here)
----- IFM (dds & ini files in here)
and so on..

Are we gonna do it? Judging from the response so far... yes! :D

However, I'm gonna wait until after tomorrow's race for staff response(s) in terms of organisation, in specific whether or not we merge existing skin packs into this new one - I'm gonna 'interview' Dennis on that during the race hoping he'll get distracted enough to let me by ;)

One way or another, it's gonna happen, so 'get skinning' if you want ;) I might actually start uploading the templates later on, but you're all set in that matter, anyway :)

Okay, here's how we're gonna do this (for now) :)

I don't want to get this on an 'official track' of any type (with or sans merger with the current packs) without Justin's input/approval but some of you might want to power up the paint shops/brushes/crayons :p

So, let's just keep everthing in this topic for the time being, you can post links (dropbox, mega, whatever suits you) to your finished skins in here and I'm going to assemble them into a pack later.
If we're ready to go 'official' by then, we're gonna move everything into new topics with 'rules', guidelines etc, otherwise I'm going to post a link to the pack here and in the relevant events' topics :)

As fate would have it, we're running the muscle cup cars next Thursday which hasn't happened for quite a while (not in my time at RD, anyway ;)) - they weren't in the template pack so far, so I added it a few moments ago: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/race-07-additional-templates.2668/
Should one or more skins be submitted for this class, the first version of the pack will, of course, be posted prior to Thursday's event :)

Gentlemen, start your imaging software ;)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back