Physics Is there any way to use rfactor 1 aero physics in an AC mod?

I was a little agitated by SimDream's IndyCar 1995 mod, as it costs 10$ US and is a complete rip of IDT's epic mod for rF1. I spent most of my time in rF1 in that mod and the ChampCars so I started trying to fix the ridiculous amount of issues with SD's conversion. I noticed that the aero files are not only for an 86 F1 car, as are the tires, but that they are all the same for all three chassis types. I tried to find aero data online but I couldn't. Then I tried to hunch it based on video and drivers talking about the cars, but I have no idea how to properly use AC's lut files (and I'm struggling to find a tutorial), as this is the first thing project I've started in AC. So, I wanted to see if I could use the aero data in the rF1 mod. I don't intend to upload the mod anywhere and if I do I'll certainly get the appropriate permissions (I used VRC's 1999 car sounds and engine data, and just modified it), but this is more of a passion "project". I've made several mods in rF1 (not all of them brilliant, and my last one unfinished), so I understand how that sim interprets the data in the files, but not really in AC. Is there any way to take the aero data in rF1 and turn it into an lut? Also, if possible, do you guys know where I can find data on these cars? I spent the last week and a half trying to and I still have nothing.

luts are pretty straightforward, you have 2 numbers per line, input and output. For aero the input is degrees, and it uses that to look up the output, which is CD or CL multiplier. So you just set the wing the right size with the aero.ini parameters and then do the rest via lut.

Thank you. I'm not 100% sure I understand, (I'm a complete noob when it comes to this), so, the first number is the angle of the wing? Again I'm sorry, I'm a complete noob when it comes to these

I'm trying to learn how lut's work also. I can see the wings, huge squares, in aero.ini, but I can't understand the lut's? They shape the wings? give it curve? and height like in 3D? How do they relate to wing the size of like 1.5m to 1meter?

They list the coefficient of lift and drag, like in this graph:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-induced_drag#/media/File:Lift_drag_graph.JPG

This gets rid of the shape of the wing, and it's just a fixed multiplier for the size that works at any size of wing. (although the actual curves will change depending on the wing's aspect ratio)

Thanks, I have a little more understanding. But how would you aero a body of F1 car, that has lots of data. I assume, they just use base model. Since nobody had put them in wind tunnels.

CD ....Cof Drag...CL Cof Lift....I understand more now.
Whats the height_frontwing_CD and CL for?
So technically, assetto corsa probably has it's own standard function that automatically does it for you, if you add certain wing and place it in a specific angle and size. With CD and CL files, you can give it more drag and lift to something in reality it could not do.

So technically, assetto corsa probably has it's own standard function that automatically does it for you, if you add certain wing and place it in a specific angle and size. With CD and CL files, you can give it more drag and lift to something in reality it could not do.
There's no automatic function, if you don't define the luts they're zero.

There's no automatic function, if you don't define the luts they're zero.

CL gain and CD gain... can half the amount and double the amount? CL_GAIN=1.0 would make like 15:100 into 15:200? ...if it was 0.5 it would half it? I edited a car but I left CL_GAIN=1.0
CD_GAIN=0.6 and I wrote my own CL and CD graph using your image of it. It worked, car was stable, I added two wings at front and the 3 for the rear for the F1 car. 1 angled, 1 at 0 degree's and 1 at 18 degree's. But the question is the graph you gave me for CL and AOA CD, that is for specific size of wing? if it's different size, then it would give different values? It says aspec 6. What I'm trying to do is add correct size wing with the correct CL and CD values, instead of putting unrealistic values into the luts. Maybe there is program out there that calculates it?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back