Is there a way to not download the whole game again? (steam convertion)

So my internet sucks. Can I just copy the non-steam install to the steam folder and make steam verify game files and that's it? I don't want to download everything again.

If I can do that, can someone tell me how? I mean, what folder am I supposed to move it, whether I have to make steam download and then move files, etc.

Thank you.

Yeah it's pretty **** to re-download 10GB when it's there on my PC, when I have a 2Mbps line.

I have already downloaded 1.4GB, and it still hasn't created the folder in SteamApps, where I would have copied the old install's files. Perhaps someone could advise us what the folder name is that it creates in SteamApps?

I think it goes into the downloading folder until it is complete, then it shows up in SteamApps.

Not sure whether you can do that verify thing.. if someone tries it, let us know!

Simple way how to properly MOVE already installed game to other drive

1. in Windows: copy game folder to your steam games folder on other drive
2. in Steam: uninstall the game (right click on game and choose: delete local content)
3. in Steam: install into other drive (where you've already copied the files)
Steam will just verify that all files are present and change its settings, registry setting and any other settings that point to game location.
4. Done. No download necessary, no manual changing of settings.

I don't know if this will work with copying files from elsewhere though. There is still a lot to download in the latest update anyway.

Files would need to go into SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme

Last edited:
Yes! It worked!

You need to move the non-steam installation to "SteamApps\common\Stock Car Extreme". Then open Steam and install the game. After you click next a couple of times, steam will say "Discovering existing files for Stock Car Game" which might take a while. After that, I closed steam and opened it again and it showed that I had already downloaded 6.4 GB out of 8 GB, but that's because my non-steam files where from v1.21, so I'm guessing the rest are the update to v1.25 (and some files which were not original because of some mods).

The only problem (that I've just realised) is mods like SweetFX. Will they work on steam? Is there any plan to integrate steamworkshop?

@bestuck

His Method Does work, I took my GSCX v1.21 contents and put it in the Steamapps/common/Stock Car Exreme folder and put it there, then Installed from steam and it seemed to check it all.
After 5 or so Minutes it finished and then started to DL the Game but then came up Finished,

:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing