Is there a guide for good racing posture/positions?

So i bought my first wheel last year before Christmas, I only have a wheel stand (GT Omega) and a new Secret Lab Titan chair ... I am looking to get a seat base and racing seat to add to the stand at some point soon but I wanted to know how i should be sitting for both my current and future setup.

Things like how high and/or close the wheel should be, how far the pedals should be and how high my seat should be and what kind of angles the base and back should be.

I do love my wheel, it has made racing games come alive, but I have not bee 100% comfortable using it since i bought it

The rules is: feel comfortable and in control of your devices. Other than that, look for the kind of driving position you like the most: F1, GT, rally, street car... Different cars require different driving positions.

Upvote 0
The article above gives a very good guide for finding the right position. Some points...

A proper racing position is quite a bit closer to the wheel, and a slightly closer to the pedals than a street position. For the wheel this is to allow you better leverage and control over the steering input. Most racecars do not have power steering, so leverage is important.

A proper steering grip is at 9 and 3...period. Nothing else (not 10/2, 8/4, 12/6...all those are crap). Put your hands at 9/3 and leave them there. Pretend they've been duck-taped in place. You should almost NEVER remove your hands from 9/3 (except in rally/drift where more than 90* rotation is common). With proper handspeed you can control any slide (not skid or spin) without ever moving your hands from 9/3. If the car is still facing down the track, leave you hands at 9/3. But...

You have to develop the ability to cross-over. This is where the wheel is rotated 90* so that the 9-oclock hand is at 3-oclock, and the 3-oclock hand is at 9-oclock. If you are turning left, the right hand will be on top...and vice-versa. You do this without ever removing your hands from the wheel---just rotate until your hands are crossed. When in this position your inner forearms will be touching. In truth, with a proper seat position, you can actually rotate well past 90* in cross-over. I can get to about 8-oclock left, and 4-oclock right.

To make all this possible you need to be close to the wheel, so that the elbows are bent at roughly 90 degrees. A normal street position with nearly straight arms will not allow for a proper cross-over. Following the guidelines in the article should get you close to that correct position.

The whole point of all of that is to develop the muscle memory for where the centered / forward position is on the wheel. If I need to snap the wheel back to straight, I know exactly where my hands should be: 9/3, every time. Also, I can develop muscle memories for every corner on the track. Provided the car is handling consistently, you should have the same turn-in character (amount and rate) every single time. Having that muscle memory is key to consistency lap-after-lap.

Seat/pedal again should be a little closer than the street position---but, the difference is less dramatic. For me its about 1 click closer (on the seat slider) than a street position. In a real racecar the braking pedal force is on the order of 70 lbs at threshold, which is about twice a normal street car under hard braking. So, you need a slightly closer position to have the needed strength, and still have the subtle control to manipulate the pressure to manage lockup. Further, you need to be able to maintain that pressure while blipping the throttle using heel-toe for downshifts at threshold. Most sim-racing pedal setups look pretty crap to me for this though...and pedal force is no where near 70 lbs. So, I find this less critical in a sim-rig.

Real race pedals (and street pedals for that matter), are ~8" off the floor-pan (floor to brake-pedal-center). The brake pedal is typically about 2" closer to the driver than the clutch. The throttle pedal should be about 1/4" to 1/2" below the brake pedal while the brake is at full pressure (70 lbs). I like 1/2" ...but, I heel-toe a lot. People who don't blip as much (or at all) often like a more level setup (0 to 1/4"). I also keep a very small space between my brake and throttle pedals for this reason ( about 1/2"). I actually have an oversized throttle pedal (called a "loud-pedal"). Again, drivers who don't blip prefer more standard spacing without the loud-pedal.

ETA: I drive a SpecMiata, so its a GT style position. As such my seat layback is ~20*. Some drivers prefer a 10* position, but I have more rounded upper back...so I need the slight layback to keep my head/shoulders within the halo containment....and still be comfortable. An hour of racing at 1.5g you need to be comfortable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%