Is the game now completely broken?

After a long break I started RF2 again because I ve seen that they made some updates. I tried a 2 hour endurance race at the vintage Le Mans track. The problem is that only 15 out of 44 cars finish their qualifying lap. Most of them do an outlap and pit in. I tried to let them run a one hour long practice session and now most of them did a timed lap but when I switch to the qualy session most of them still wont do a timed lap. I tried other cars and still the same problem occurs. This was never an issue before.
Then the AI behaviour itself: There is a lot of bumping going on. I drive the 1967 endurance mod and I have to break around 350 meters before the mulsanne corner. The AI brakes at around the 250 marker which leads them to crashing into me. There is no way that I'm able to break that late.
Remembering back 2 years ago I had some quiet good races against the AI at this track with the same cars without many issues. Yesterday i fiddled around for over two hours trying to get a race going. This is not the definiton of a game for me.
Why the devs changing so many things right now. The engine is outdated and got to its limits a couple of years ago. It's kinda counterproductive to make a game that depends on mods and change parameters that break many of them.

Interestingly there was a quite big AI update recently that have made the AI a lot better.
I would not be surprised if these updates also require mods to be updated.

With regards to making a game that depends on mods - while rF2 is a "open simulator" where modding is something positive and encouraged. The change in philosophy, especially after Motorsport Games took over, have moved it more towards officially licensed content. Modders don't always get access to all information needed after updates anymore either.

Interestingly there was a quite big AI update recently that have made the AI a lot better.
I would not be surprised if these updates also require mods to be updated.

With regards to making a game that depends on mods - while rF2 is a "open simulator" where modding is something positive and encouraged. The change in philosophy, especially after Motorsport Games took over, have moved it more towards officially licensed content. Modders don't always get access to all information needed after updates anymore either.
Yeah most mods weren't updated since 2018. I mostly play vintage cars and most mods are also quiet old. But also mods that were updated recently make problems now. Ok I see they are shifting now to a new philosophy but I don't know why the keep the Workshot then if they won't give Infos to modders anymore.
Anyway: The game is now nearly unplayable with my prefered content.
If this problem remains I will have no reason to continue playing this game, which is a shame...

I tried to let them run a one hour long practice session and now most of them did a timed lap but when I switch to the qualy session most of them still wont do a timed lap. I tried other cars and still the same problem occurs.
Have you tried training the AI? Type 2 training is appropriate in situations like this.

What did I just say in another thread is first thing you adjust ?

Set the AI strength so you can out brake them not the other way around, that won't work ;)

If you do this you can pass and let others repass to get used to running close.

As for qual just go out do your lap then accelerate rest of session (Ctrl +X ) , they will all do Q lap in 5 minutes. Why people want to waste a hour of their life
watching AI qualify I will never understand.

Put more fuel then you need if possible and try a forced setup for AI.

As you improve slowly raise AI strength.

Set 50% damage and 4x tyre wear this will teach you very quick not to lock brakes and AI performance will also be affected.

Personally I set unreliability to 0% ...why people want cars breaking down so they have less to race is beyond me.

Last edited:
What did I just say in another thread is first thing you adjust ?

Set the AI strength so you can out brake them not the other way around, that won't work ;)

If you do this you can pass and let others repass to get used to running close.

As for qual just go out do your lap then accelerate rest of session (Ctrl +X ) , they will all do Q lap in 5 minutes. Why people want to waste a hour of their life
watching AI qualify I will never understand.

Put more fuel then you need if possible and try a forced setup for AI.

As you improve slowly raise AI strength.

Set 50% damage and 4x tyre wear this will teach you very quick not to lock brakes and AI performance will also be affected.

Personally I set unreliability to 0% ...why people want cars breaking down so they have less to race is beyond me.
Thanks for the tips.
Problem is that when I set the difficulty down to where I can outbreak them in Mulsanne corner they will be around 10 seconds a lap slower than me. I dont want to brag but I'm pretty much an expert on Le Mans and have driven thousands of kilometers on this track. I won't do 4x tyre wear because I mostly do long distance races sometimes over 3 hours and I simply cant stand the rattling of my wheel when I have a flat spot because I locked up (which happens in long races).

rF2 has a huge variance across all cars / tracks. So at your race pace one combo may need to be 100% another 120% 90% ....

Okay what I would do is more pitstops then AI to make up 50% of the deficit.
So 30 laps would be 150 seconds so extra 1-2 stops then AI. The other 50% I would
use 4x tyre so you lift and coast, brake sooner and lighter so no lockups which
will have you lapping 5 seconds slower.

Make a forced setup for 75% fuel then in race change to 100% before your stops.
That should add 25% to your fueling time vs AI.

Increasing fuel usage and tyre wear affects combos differently.
Then there is aggression again wildly differing outcomes.

I can always find a way to have decent races with most all combo, may be simple as one thing or a mixture of others. ;)

Last edited:
rF2 has a huge variance across all cars / tracks. So at your race pace one combo may need to be 100% another 120% 90% ....

Okay what I would do is more pitstops then AI to make up 50% of the deficit.
So 30 laps would be 150 seconds so extra 1-2 stops then AI. The other 50% I would
use 4x tyre so you lift and coast, brake sooner and lighter so no lockups which
will have you lapping 5 seconds slower.

Make a forced setup for 75% fuel then in race change to 100% before your stops.
That should add 25% to your fueling time vs AI.

Increasing fuel usage and tyre wear affects combos differently.
Then there is aggression again wildly differing outcomes.

I can always find a way to have decent races with most all combo, may be simple as one thing or a mixture of others. ;)
Thanks for your tips;)
I have a question: Is it possible to change the starting fuel for the AI in qualifying? Right now when I switch to 2x Fuel consumption the AI runs out of fuel in the outlap in which leads to most of them not doing a timed lap. I think the AI struggles now with long tracks like LeMans or old Spa. I'm mostly running the 1967 Endurance Mod which wasn't updatet in a while. Maybe some parameters changed that affect the fuel calculation.
I found out something else: Its not the cars in the same class as mine that do the back-bumping but the cars in the lower classes because they come to a corner at lower speed and if I lap them before a corner my I have to break much earlier than them. So what happens is that they haven't started their breaking process while I am now hard on the breaks which leads to this problems.

After a long break I started RF2 again because I ve seen that they made some updates. I tried a 2 hour endurance race at the vintage Le Mans track. The problem is that only 15 out of 44 cars finish their qualifying lap. Most of them do an outlap and pit in. I tried to let them run a one hour long practice session and now most of them did a timed lap but when I switch to the qualy session most of them still wont do a timed lap. I tried other cars and still the same problem occurs. This was never an issue before.
This bug has been in ISIMotor games since at least rFactor 1, probably before.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 330 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 168 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%