Is the ACC AI really this bad...

This is not mean to be a bashing thread. It's more of a 'hope there is something I can do' thread. Bought ACC awhile back but never really dove into it yet. Decided to take this weekend to really try it out and see how it differs from other sims. Spent some time getting the settings right for my average system and turning some practice laps to get comfortable with how the cars handle. Love the driving feel and sounds. Graphics i'm iffy on. Some of it is that I can't max the graphics settings because of my system and some of it is the Unreal Engine was just a horrible idea to use for this game, but it just lacks something for me in the eye candy department. Doesn't look bad, but the colors and lighting don't quite look right. Too HDR looking for my tastes.

Decided to try my first race and man what a boring time that was. The AI has no race instinct in them. Even when I missed my marks and left an opening, they just refuse to pass you. I even intentionally left openings in the turns to see what they'd do and they wouldn't take them. It's almost like they are too cautious and have some built in mechanism to not make contact with you so if you get out of the racing line a bit, they think you are going to crash and back off. I double checked and have aggression set to 100% so i'm not using some low AI setting. I know AC gets a bad rap for it's AI, but I actually get some pretty good races with them. I thought ACC would be similar since it's Kunos based, but it's light years behind what I get in AC.

So is this just the way ACC's AI is or is there something I can do by editing a file or something to improve the AI? Or does Kunos just think of this as an online game and didn't put much effort into the AI?

Last edited:
It's way better than it was pre 1.6, and I mean way better. Previously it was simply a chase the rabbit thing with the AI doing absolutely nothing except follow the car in front. At least they do race against each other now.

That said the AI is generally still very timid when it comes to the player.

If you want a decent racy AI then I can recommend at Raceroom, or one of the recent F1 games - still best in class for AI IMO. Also Wreckfest offers an AI that's as mad as a box of frogs.

Thanks for verifying what I am seeing. Thought maybe I had a setting wrong. I do have Raceroom so I can use it or AC for AI races I guess and just use ACC for hotlapping or testing. Shame though because ACC does do the driving part very well that it would be nice to be able to use it for racing.

Maybe one thing that I can suggest is that you set the AI ability to a value that leaves you fighting in the mid-pack. I've had some really good races like that, and the AI have taken advantage of a few of my mistakes.

Of course if you're one of these weirdos talented people that can trounce the AI on 100% then my advice is not going to do you much good.

Maybe one thing that I can suggest is that you set the AI ability to a value that leaves you fighting in the mid-pack. I've had some really good races like that, and the AI have taken advantage of a few of my mistakes.

Of course if you're one of these weirdos talented people that can trounce the AI on 100% then my advice is not going to do you much good.

Will give that a shot. Thankfully I am not ones of those aliens. In any racing sim, I usually have to keep the AI between 90-95% strength depending on the track or car class i'm driving to keep up. I'm actually glad i'm that bad because I think I would get bored if I could beat the AI all the time at 100%. At least now I still have room to improve which keeps me wanting to practice and tinker with setups.

This is not mean to be a bashing thread. It's more of a 'hope there is something I can do' thread. Bought ACC awhile back but never really dove into it yet. Decided to take this weekend to really try it out and see how it differs from other sims. Spent some time getting the settings right for my average system and turning some practice laps to get comfortable with how the cars handle. Love the driving feel and sounds. Graphics i'm iffy on. Some of it is that I can't max the graphics settings because of my system and some of it is the Unreal Engine was just a horrible idea to use for this game, but it just lacks something for me in the eye candy department. Doesn't look bad, but the colors and lighting don't quite look right. Too HDR looking for my tastes.

Decided to try my first race and man what a boring time that was. The AI has no race instinct in them. Even when I missed my marks and left an opening, they just refuse to pass you. I even intentionally left openings in the turns to see what they'd do and they wouldn't take them. It's almost like they are too cautious and have some built in mechanism to not make contact with you so if you get out of the racing line a bit, they think you are going to crash and back off. I double checked and have aggression set to 100% so i'm not using some low AI setting. I know AC gets a bad rap for it's AI, but I actually get some pretty good races with them. I thought ACC would be similar since it's Kunos based, but it's light years behind what I get in AC.

So is this just the way ACC's AI is or is there something I can do by editing a file or something to improve the AI? Or does Kunos just think of this as an online game and didn't put much effort into the AI?
Just finished a cracker hour long race against the A.I at Spa (100%/100%) were there were overtaking each other multiple time for the race lead allowing me and a few other A.I to catch up, then there was a five way battle for the lead . 3rd and 4th place had an accident in the last chicane while try to pass each other causing the 3rd place A. I to spin (amusing to watch I must say) I find If I choose the 2020 season the A.I do battle at lot more with each other and myself, I know there was any update in the last patch maybe Kunos have only updated the 2020 A. I so far ?
Try this thread if you looking to gain some more performance https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/i-got-my-fps-back.172350/

Last edited:
I did a GT4 race on hungaroring on friday to prepare for an online race. I had the AI set to 100%/100% and started 11th of 25 (just set it up like this). It was really a neck and neck fight. Of course the constency of the AI is really good. I had to really concentrate to keep touch. Later in the race some of the AI cars struggled a bit and AI overtaking was taking place in front of me. They were tripping over each other and I could gain 1 or 2 places.
So for me that was a good enough experience! I finished 5th or 6th, can't remember.

I am still very careful at the start as this is the time where the AI is wekest in my opinion. Well, but you'll have T1 incidents with human racers, too.....
So for me AI racing is really an option at least for practice. Just set the AI to a high enough level.

I don't know man. Usually when I make small mistakes the AI overtakes me. The AI does still have some issues. They have too much lateral padding (i.e. distance they leave between each other when they try to overtake each other) is too high. They're also a bit too slow in the dry on aome tracks and a bit too quick in the wet. Apart from this they're flawless really

Edit- also the fiel spread is a bit too high

Last edited:
I don't know man. Usually when I make small mistakes the AI overtakes me. The AI does still have some issues. They have too much lateral padding (i.e. distance they leave between each other when they try to overtake each other) is too high. They're also a bit too slow in the dry on aome tracks and a bit too quick in the wet. Apart from this they're flawless really

Edit- also the fiel spread is a bit too high
They are far from perfect, that is crystal clear. The AI cannot give you the same racing experience as human opponents can. I doubt this will change anytime soon (also in other sims).

The only Incident I've had with the AI is I was making a block pass. I was in front of him on the inside. Just as I was about to turn for a late apex he turned to take his normal line collecting the back of my car and spinning me. Other than that I enjoy running against them.

They are far from perfect, that is crystal clear. The AI cannot give you the same racing experience as human opponents can. I doubt this will change anytime soon (also in other sims).
Of course they are not perfect and can't substitute a league race but compared to pc2, original assetto Corsa, some rf2 tracks they are definitely better. There are some issues which are fixable (like field spread and dry pace(just give them extra grip)) but in any case I don't think Kunos has the time and resources to keep working on AI. In any case I am pretty happy with the 1.6 AI and appreciate all the work that's gone in

Last edited:
The AI get on my nerves at times. Go for a move down the inside and they spin you to the outside on the corner exit. It's like being in a server full of forza motorsport players :roflmao:
Each time I was spun like this it happened because I changed to the racing line right on corner exit with a potentially lower speed than the AI (but already was past).
...if you think that the AI would compromise their corner exit speed and/or line and they don't. :D

Each time I was spun like this it happened because I changed to the racing line right on corner exit with a potentially lower speed than the AI (but already was past).
...if you think that the AI would compromise their corner exit speed and/or line and they don't. :D

No ive noticed they get out of corners perfectly everytime

The AI get on my nerves at times. Go for a move down the inside and they spin you to the outside on the corner exit. It's like being in a server full of forza motorsport players :roflmao:
You need to give the AI more space. They actually fight for positions. They are not like humans. You cannot force them to back out on corner exit and you have to hold your line and be respectful.

If they were agressive, then some other users would claim they are diving/crashing etc. Not easy to get the perfect AI taste for every single person. But still ACC AI is the best AI I've seen in simracing. Makes RF2 AI look stupid.

I don't get what people get out of racing against AI anyway. They could do the perfect possible laps every single lap and the only reason you're able to race against them is because they are intentionally designed to be at human level.

If they were agressive, then some other users would claim they are diving/crashing etc. Not easy to get the perfect AI taste for every single person. But still ACC AI is the best AI I've seen in simracing. Makes RF2 AI look stupid.

Then I'm guessing that you haven't tried R3E, or any of the F1 series from Codemasters.

I don't get what people get out of racing against AI anyway. They could do the perfect possible laps every single lap and the only reason you're able to race against them is because they are intentionally designed to be at human level.

Because some of us honestly can't be arsed to have put up with these low level meatsacks online. Not to mention that on an average server there's always a couple of these things with pings that make them look like a junkie going through cold turkey and ultimately ruining everybody's race.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Then I'm guessing that you haven't tried R3E
It's quite rough and wild there, so not everyone's cup of tea (definitely not mine) unless you enjoy "rubbing" and bumping. And on some tracks it just acts stupid, like flying off the track missing brake point, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back