PC1 Is Project CARS a simulation? lets vote!

No article about how the physics engine works makes this a sim. It was common practise for me to get in F1 challenge or rfactor 1, and edit the physics files to where it was an arcade game.
Using the most advanced software available, and using it "wrong" is not only stupid, but also very sad for the person(s) who made it possible for the PR to brag about.

My view on this game, is that it is a toned down simulator, very near arcade, just because they wanted to sell the sh*t out of it.
Don't tell me this is not true! All the advertisements, steam was full of it when I didn't get have it. Advertising at 3 places on the main page! There was no corner I could get to in the simracing community where I didn't hear of PCars in one way, or another. And not to discuss the development of the game, because they had their own place to do that.
The only place I was safe for this propaganda, were the iracing forums, where it came up a few times, but didn't last pretty long.

This IS a good game, nothing wrong with it. It is very fun when you just take it for what it is, and what it tries to be, and accept it.
But somebody who calls this a simulator is already flagging him/herself for not knowing a tiny bit of how a car acts in real life. Yes, it feels somewhat decent up to a level, but getting over the limit was never as safe as in this game.
No, sims don't need to be the most difficult thing in the world, because real cars aren't mostly that way. But PCars is just easy, ant it was made that way with all intentions, with one of them being money.

(I can see the alerts of dislikes comming in already, but I just don't care)

There is a reason PCars advertises with people like "The Stig" and "little brother Hamilton". That is because they are asked to put their name on it for a sum of money, while other sims like iracing actually have hundreds (much more, I'm sure) of active users, from ALL levels.
Every time I see a racing game glued to a real driver, I see another sellout, promoting a product to give it some (fake) credit.

Jyri, can you go a bit deeper into your view on why GTR2 is not better? The only thing you say is that is just isn't. That is not a discussion.
I personally rate GTR2 not really high anymore, because it had some flaws that were brought up by the developers. They were true to their actions, and didn't sell the product for something it isn't. And that is where I see PCars failing in the first place.

Nah, I'm not trying to score hard-core sim racer points here.

OK, one point. You will never get as detailed feedback on GTR2 as with PCars. I know it is a pain in the butt to dial in the FFB with the latter, but once you get it right, you'll appreciate the detail of the physics. One thing that both games have is more than decent low speed tyre physics. Simracers that have used to tyres going "icy" won't like them.

Nonsense. If GTR2 is horse manure, then Pcars is Elephant Dung. And you know it. ;)

And in my humble opinion, even the Neeed for Speed Shift games had better FFB than Pcars right now.

I meant that your claim that GTR2 is a long ways better than PCars is horse manure, not the game itself. I see PCars as updated GTR2. I don't like the fact it takes console gamers into consideration, but what can you do?

Anyway, my purchase was based on your short, positive pre-release review on this very forum, as I knew you were not a fanboy. What has happened since?

Come on, Pcars is not as good as GTR2 by a long ways. Yes it's prettier I'll give you that. :)
I own all good simulators and PC is the best, GTR 2 is very good, also GTR Evolution is awesome, but this new one from the 'same' people is so much better, note that GTR 2 is 10 years old so it just can't be as good as todays sim no way...tested PC with several cars and with Nords, Dubai and California Highway, this sim is better and better days after days...like they say it's Bulls Eye (10)...

It's a sim in my book as I am just as slow in pCARS that I have been in other sims. I'm getting better thanks to AC and now pCARS, but I am sure I will always be a bit off of the fast times. If I could make better lap times in pCARS without trying, then it would be arcadish.

It's funny to see a lot of comments about this release. To be honest, most of the people commenting here weren't into sim racing when GTR2 came out, but EVERYONE complained that GTR2 was too easy. Everyone believed it was a step back from the original GTR.

I do believe pCARS is better than GTR2 in many aspects. However, what I did like about GTR2 which pCARS doesn't have was it's simplicity. pCARS is avoidably complicated for getting things setup. There are aspects of pCARS I hope gets more attention which would take it to the level SMS envisioned.

Oh, and I would like to hear physic's guru Chronus' opinion on this matter. It seems he is only able to rate the posts nowadays. ;)

He did extensive physics modding of GTR2, and he learnt that the engine{despite it's age}, is very advanced, and that he also considered GTR EVO to be an improvement, primarily the tire model.

OK, one point. You will never get as detailed feedback on GTR2 as with PCars. I know it is a pain in the butt to dial in the FFB with the latter, but once you get it right, you'll appreciate the detail of the physics. One thing that both games have is more than decent low speed tyre physics. Simracers that have used to tyres going "icy" won't like them.

Hilarious, the last thing GTR2 is is icey, that's old iceracing and some cars in rf2....it was actually the original GTR that had the "ass end of the world" rear end that would go into unrecoverable spins, but GTR2/GTL/RACE07/GTR EVO/RACEON have a good overall balance.

It's funny to see a lot of comments about this release. To be honest, most of the people commenting here weren't into sim racing when GTR2 came out, but EVERYONE complained that GTR2 was too easy. Everyone believed it was a step back from the original GTR.
Honestly do not remember people complaining that GTR2 was too easy - but I am old and memory fades.
I graduated via Indy Car Racing 2, GP2, GPL, NR2003 (and mods) and I personally never found GTR2 too easy - I always thought that driving it at normal speeds was pretty much like a normal car in terms of difficulty, but going really quick was tough - just as it is in life.
To this day I 'jump' in the GTR2 Lambo and really enjoy the way the thing drives and sounds. Very cool.
I agree that pCars is a step up,although only just on the 10 year old GTR2, but pCars has huge potential to be very good in the future but right now it feels beta-ish, and as I mentioned before lacks some sim fundamentals which would give it street cred.
Nevertheless, a week on and still enjoying it!

There is a reason PCars advertises with people like "The Stig" and "little brother Hamilton". That is because they are asked to put their name on it for a sum of money, while other sims like iracing actually have hundreds (much more, I'm sure) of active users, from ALL levels.
Every time I see a racing game glued to a real driver, I see another sellout, promoting a product to give it some (fake) credit.

Jyri, can you go a bit deeper into your view on why GTR2 is not better? The only thing you say is that is just isn't. That is not a discussion.
I personally rate GTR2 not really high anymore, because it had some flaws that were brought up by the developers. They were true to their actions, and didn't sell the product for something it isn't. And that is where I see PCars failing in the first place.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. giving iRacing some (fake) credit:
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nasca...mnist=newton_david&page=InsideTheHauler100721

GTR2 was laughed upon by quite a few in the simracing community. It's funny how history keeps repeating itself. Assetto Corsa too was laughed at and called simcade at release.. many familiar names from the iRacing forums. Now some of them are seen among the rabid AC fanboys. Human nature is mysterious and quite hilarious indeed.

Btw, Henrik Roos, the other part of Blimey Games (now the majority being Slightly Mad Studios) and Doug Arnao (one of the main physics guys at SMS), both former GT1 drivers kept insisting that even GTR2 had way too little grip and was much more difficult to drive than the real thing.

.. what do you think the community thought about those comments? Right.. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 245 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 161 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 227 13.9%