is professional motorsport getting boring?

Hi i have a quick question and would love to get peoples feed back. As this is my opinion and wantr to no what other people think.

after watching alot of old 1980's 1990's btcc and gt championships i then thought i will have a look at what the british gt championship and the btcc has to offer in 2023, there are alot of upsides to watching more recent stuff. the video quality is good i like the live leaderboard and the commentary and the cars look cool. However the cars dont look as cool as the older stuff in my opinion and to be honest i find the racing pretty boring.

the technology we have now is far far superior but that does not equal better more exciting racing.

watched an old video of the british gt championship from back in the 90's and it was a fully packed silverstone in heavy rain. fast forward to today and silverstone had about 50 people maybe 100 in the sunshine.

this says to me that maybe i am right maybe motorsport is getting boring?. looks like it to me at least

watched an old video of the british gt championship from back in the 90's and it was a fully packed silverstone in heavy rain. fast forward to today and silverstone had about 50 people maybe 100 in the sunshine.
Back then it wasn't as easy to access motorsport as it is now, no YT or regular TV coverage.
Also there may be less interest with more distractions from other things.
Apart from F1 (which I haven't bothered watching for the last 3 seasons) I find most other motorsports still are interesting, especially if you're following a series.

Back then it wasn't as easy to access motorsport as it is now, no YT or regular TV coverage.
Also there may be less interest with more distractions from other things.
Apart from F1 (which I haven't bothered watching for the last 3 seasons) I find most other motorsports still are interesting, especially if you're following a series.
yes you have a good point actually. infact if i screw my pea brain on its obvious you are correct. there will be more eyes now watching than before simply because as you said its easier to access. maybe i need to get involved and follow it properly and realise it is not 1998 anymore.

Pro level auto racing has suffered the same fate as all other professional sports over the past fifty years - once sponsorship and marketing takes hold everything becomes secondary to profit. Rules are dictated by the investors, venues are dictated by the investors, schedules are dictated by the investors. There is no room in racing for privateers any more, but they were exciting and interesting in the past; good drivers will be ignored in favor of a lesser driver with a ton of monetary backing; historic tracks are cast aside because they are too far from town or do not have grandstands for 100k people. Names of tracks, races, even entire series frequently change to reflect new sponsors.

If you want to truly enjoy a race weekend, attend club and vintage events.

Pro level auto racing has suffered the same fate as all other professional sports over the past fifty years - once sponsorship and marketing takes hold everything becomes secondary to profit. Rules are dictated by the investors, venues are dictated by the investors, schedules are dictated by the investors. There is no room in racing for privateers any more, but they were exciting and interesting in the past; good drivers will be ignored in favor of a lesser driver with a ton of monetary backing; historic tracks are cast aside because they are too far from town or do not have grandstands for 100k people. Names of tracks, races, even entire series frequently change to reflect new sponsors.

If you want to truly enjoy a race weekend, attend club and vintage events.
i was watching a youtube video of a bscc round birmigham superprix, i believe it was 1989 and they said how much it cost to run a decent car.........£250k per season and thats in 1989. now i wonder what were the golden days of the bscc when it was actually affordable for a average working class person to be able to get involved and compete for the chamoinship?. my guess is the first year it started back in 1959..........

Imo it's been boring for decades. Of course the direction is always money, sponsors, technology and marketability. I limit my interest to following Goodwood, the TT, Historic Masters, Touring Car Masters, Young Timer Trophy, Peter Auto. Only current series I bother with is Moto GP.
Didn't really miss anything though last 7 years amateur club racing.

Last edited:
The racing scene is taken over by marketing companies from the US, who simply can not understand and do not care about racing. Giving licenses to countries, were the only race fan is the local warlord . :thumbsdown:

Here I think a great video about the essence of racing.

Last edited:
The format for some newer real racing series can be a bit boring at times.
When I can't find good close racing on television, I sometimes resort to a rather wacky solution.
I'm finding AI racing in some sims really entertaining.
I was without a wheel for about seven weeks recently.
I'd setup a twenty-five lap race in some of the most severe conditions with AI cars, grab a beer and watch.
It was entertaining to watch the battles...especially at places like Mugello and Road Atlanta.
It was a 'free' show to boot.

Last edited:
One reason for the monotony is that all top level series' rules are so draconian that all are edging closer and closer to being spec racer series.

That each team builds it own car is meaningless if the "rules" are no less than a blueprint, then each team builds the same car.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%