Is more RAM beneficial for racing sims?

I have an i5 cpu and an AMD RX580 and getting great performance in the sims that I run. AC, rF2, RRRE, P2 and sometimes ACC. I have 8gb RAM, would increasing that to 16gb be beneficial? This is strictly a gaming rig. Thanks for any input!

8 GB sound sufficient to actually run a single game, but I bet your loading times suffer and if you have other programs in the background later it might be tight.

Also depends on what exactly you have there. If you are running a single 8 GB module you are running single-channel speed and adding another 8 GB would give you dual-channel. If on the other hand you have 2 x 4 GB and only 2 slots then you would have to throw out all your existing memory.

i used to have 16 and upgraded to 32, it makes the pc more chill and not that hot, and runs smooth, if i notice improvement in games no, video and photoshop yes, i have a i7.

With a full compliment of cars in ACC... and accounting for all Windows 10 processes, I have seen as much as 7.32 GB of RAM use.
I think 8 GB would be pushing it a bit.
I run 32 GB of DDR4-3000 because I do also like to transcode video.
Where I am seeing massive gains, is in latency adjustments.
I went from 16-18-18-39 to 14-17-17-36 and the decrease in load times and smoothness is noticeable on AMD-based systems.
Not sure if it will have the same effect on Intel.

Last edited:
8 GB sound sufficient to actually run a single game, but I bet your loading times suffer and if you have other programs in the background later it might be tight.

Also depends on what exactly you have there. If you are running a single 8 GB module you are running single-channel speed and adding another 8 GB would give you dual-channel. If on the other hand you have 2 x 4 GB and only 2 slots then you would have to throw out all your existing memory.
Be 16GB, 32GB, if the rams are not fast(around 3600mhz-3500) the perfomance will not change that much, just more random storage space and of course smoother gaming since rams will not be stressing.

Slower speed RAM shouldn't do much, at a maximum 3% drop at half the memory frequency. When running a single game that is.

In any case, if you want the high bandwidth then the first order of business is to get dual-channel RAM working (or triple or quad or whatever you system can support).

Slower speed RAM shouldn't do much, at a maximum 3% drop at half the memory frequency. When running a single game that is.

In any case, if you want the high bandwidth then the first order of business is to get dual-channel RAM working (or triple or quad or whatever you system can support).
Triple is equal to single channel, quad is equal to dual channel but there is no real benefit of quad apart from looking sweet cool. Dual channel is the wae for people who is not looking for looks, just perfomance.

And of course slower speeds RAM is not that harmful but it is much better to have high speed rams, you can focus all the power on one applications too, there's an option but I forgot which was. It makes the game run smoother and faster, low latency rams(CL14 for example) helps a lot more.

Where I am seeing massive gains, is in latency adjustments.

What you think I try with this Terry ? same ?

Everyday PC - Ryzen 3 3200G / Vega8
I also now run all gmotor 2.0 on it
GTL, GTR2, PnG and rFactor all look better then my RTX2080 :giggle:

3200G CPU-Z.jpg

3200G master.jpg

EDIT: Did not want to go OT but OP has not been back

Stock and 4.1Ghz all cores
Memory XMP anymore fps would be appreciated
Not that the gmotor2.0 needs it just trying for 1440p (dynamic res ) @ 120 fps

3200G CPU-Z-  stock and 4.1ghz  all core.jpg

Last edited:
What you think I try with this Terry ? same ?

Everyday PC - Ryzen 3 3200G / Vega8
I also now run all gmotor 2.0 on it
GTL, GTR2, PnG and rFactor all look better then my RTX2080 :giggle:

View attachment 339950
View attachment 339952

EDIT: Did not want to go OT but OP has not been back

Stock and 4.1Ghz all cores
Memory XMP anymore fps would be appreciated
Not that the gmotor2.0 needs it just trying for 1440p (dynamic res ) @ 120 fps

View attachment 339955
Try for 15, 17, 17, 35 at 1T....then run your most strenuous bench-marking software.
I don't use XMP or gameboost in the case of my Ryzen.
I simply go in and select the RAM speed...then tweak timings from there.

On a different note:
I just swapped out my 32 gigs of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-3000 (four sticks) for some Timetec DDR4-3600 (two sticks).
I am very impressed with the quality of this RAM kit.
It is listed at 18, 22, 22, 42 at 1T with 1.35 volts default.
I've got mine at 15, 19, 19, 39 at 1T with 1.37 volts and no errors after 20 hours of Memtest 86+
Every single game I've run so far is just blazing fast.
The guys at Timetech were extremely nice as well.
Some of the lesser-known companies have really stepped up the quality of their offerings.
This is a simple, 'barebones' RAM kit...(no RGB and no heat-spreaders) at USD $119 for 32 GB.
I called to ask them if I could remove the labels to allow installation of two Vantec heat spreaders I had laying around.
They got right back to me in minutes with a definitive...'yes'.
Normally, removing those stickers voids the warranty.
They simply asked me to send them a copy of my invoice, so as to maintain the warranty in house.
Now THAT...is customer service.

Last edited:
I went from 8 GB to 16 and noticed a small improvement in most games. The most improvement I saw was in RFactor 2 when trying to run 60 cars at LeMans or Sebring.

I saw a noticeable improvement in VR when I went from a base frequency of 2166 to 3100MHz on my DDR4 memory. However never come close to using 16Gb nevermind the 32Gb I have installed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 213 14.4%