Is it worth to upgrade just my processor?

Hello and thanks for the kind answer.

I drive with Oculus Rift CV1 just on AC (great with Sol and Shaders) and ACC (quite satisfied with its performance right now, after the patch), on a Simetik 2 rig + Fanatec equipment.

Currently my PC runs with:
Win 7 Ultimate Pro / Intel i5 3.2 / MB Asus Z87 Pro / 16 GB RAM DDR3 / Zotac GeForce GTX 1070ti mini and 3 SSD 128 GB HD.

Would it be worth to upgrade just my processor? I was considering a Core i7-4770K... which, according to the infos i've found online, it's the most powerful available still compatible with my MoBo.

Would i benefit a lot from it?

Thx for your help guys

G

It depends, Look in your task manager graphics tab if your card is >95% used
4790 is 400 Mhz more so .... not such big upgrade, Sure you can overclock it to 4.4 Ghz
If you have the cooler that can handle it.
But if your videocard is already @ 95% or higher you won't get much more out of it

( edit ) I don't know if win 7 has a graphic gpu tab ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you're probably going to notice a lot more if you actually upgrade the board and get one of the newer processors available now, from either Intel or AMD. I wouldn't bother upgrading within your same socket just for compatibility. It's a waste of time for such a small time frame between CPU releases. I went from a 6600K to a 9600K because AC was munching my CPU on online league races. It helped a great deal. I use VR so every little bit helps. However I have a 1080Ti and it probably made more difference because of the pretty high end GPU I use. A 1070Ti is probably not going to be pinging the CPU as much so you might not notice a difference at all.

Best advice I could give is maybe look at saving for a new GPU and save the money from getting a new CPU. Later on if you find the CPU lacking you can upgrade that too. You'll get much more immediate results from upgrading your GPU, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Under windows it is hard to tell because by default you only have a "total CPU" display, as in all cores together. You cannot tell how much time you spend with a single thread keeping a single core at 100% and holding back the entire processing chain that way.

I think somebody recently recommended a more reasonable process monitor.

In any case, the answer to "am I limited by CPU/GPU/RAM speed" is always the same:
- benchmark
- underclock one component
- benchmark again

If the times changed then that component matters. If not the component does not matter.

Upvote 0
Intel i5 3.2
Maybe I'm dumb but what processor should that be? The i5 "k" or a lower i5? It depends a lot on this whether or not the i7 k will give you a big boost or not.
Core i7-4770K
The best one would be 4790k. Updated version of the 4770k. I think it should be supported by your motherboard too as it's the same socket.
I drive with Oculus Rift CV1
Well, friend of mine races with the CV1 too and he had the 4790k overclocked to 4.9 GHz (crazy, lol).
And he still couldn't run 90 fps all the time in AC.
Then he bought a 8700k, which got slightly overclocked to 4.8 GHz and now all sims run fine at 90 fps.

The thing you need to consider is that your Oculus will either run at 45 fps + ASW or at 90 fps. So either you gain enough to maintain 90 fps or you can save yourself the upgrade.

Thinking about the experience of my friend with his 4790k, I don't think the upgrade would be worth it.
In any case, the answer to "am I limited by CPU/GPU/RAM speed" is always the same:
- benchmark
- underclock one component
- benchmark again

If the times changed then that component matters. If not the component does not matter.
Yes, that's the best method. However from my experience one can simply check if the graphics card is maxed our or not. If it is, it's limiting. If it is not, it's the CPU which is limiting.
Ofc only if vsync and fps limits are disabled.
No clue how you get the oculus to go non-synced and show tearing and fluctuating fps...

Anyway I think you were thinking about my postings about "process explorer" :)
But if your videocard is already @ 95% or higher you won't get much more out of it

Exactly, as I mentioned above, that's the quick method to find out which component is limiting.

Summary:
Download openhardwaremonitor, activate the "plot" in the settings and click the checkbox next to "GPU load". You should see a graph being drawn, showing the GPU load.
Now go into AC, drive a few laps and see if that graph hits 95% or above or not.
Alternatively use any other monitoring tool that has a graph. Like MSI Afterburner.

If yes: Your 1070ti is limiting.
If not: a CPU upgrade will be good.

But be aware: If you're now, let's say, would get 60 fps, your Oculus will be stuck at 45 fps + ASW.
If you then upgrade to the i7 4770k or 4790k, you would probably get 80 fps and still be stuck at 45 fps + ASW.

In the end there are three "low budget" choices to get 90 fps in VR for most sims (ACC is a bit difficult apparently):

1. Get the i5 9600k. It's kinda cheap, has 6 cores which should be enough for at least 5 years and has a massive single thread performance, which means simracing games will run awesomely fine!

2. Get a used 8700k. A bit lower single thread performance than the 9600k but gains a little due to hyperthreading. Here in Germany it's always more expensive than the it 9600k though so no idea if you could buy one.

3. Wait for the new Ryzen 3xxx which seem to have about the same single thread performance as the current 9xxx Intels but will have more cores and SMT, which is similar to hyperthreading.
Cheaper, more cores, same single thread performance.
It might be the killer CPU :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%