Is it worth it?

Hello guys,

I just bought a new racing wheel to play some sim racing games. I've thought aquire the ACC, but then I remembered about Raceroom. I love touring car races, and GT, especially endurance.
The question is, are the GT mods for raceroom good compared to ACC? And what about endurance races? Is the online community active, like just enter a server and race, or does it have to be in a championship?

Regards

Welcome to RaceDepartment Ricardo! :)

I'm not going to make direct comparisons between sims. It's a bit pointless because every man and his dog will have their favourites and often for very different reasons. It's very much personal preference based on whether you like a sims FFB, physics, content, etc etc. I mean, for me personally R3E is the most immersive sim on the market right now, but plenty of people would both agree and disagree with me.

I think one of R3E's strengths is the content. It features many different classes, so if you like variety then it's a great sim to own. It has a large field of GTR 3s as well as GTR 1s, 2s & 4s. As for touring cars, it features WTCR, WTCC, DTM, as well as classic touring cars from the `90's. And many other classes on top. You can see the full list in the RaceRoom Store.

About endurance racing, it is possible in R3E but perhaps not in the most convenient manner. There is no saving during a race even when racing offline, so that can make long races somewhat awkward. Also, R3E has no day/night transitions so the entire race would be at a set time of day. No driver swapping either, online or offline.

With all that said, why not try R3E for yourself and see if you like it? You can download the base game totally free of charge from Steam, which includes a few free tracks and cars for you to play with and see if you like how the sim feels. In addition, you can "test drive" any car available in the store using this free download version without paying a penny! A very nice feature to have.

As for racing online, the best way of doing that is to join a community that organises regular events for member to join... which you already have by joining RaceDepartment! We have racing clubs for most current sims, such as the RaceRoom Racing Club. Our events are relaxed and friendly, open to drivers of all ability levels from complete rookies to hardened veterans. So feel free to jump on in! :)

Thank you for the clarification! I've tried the game a few years ago, and I've played GTL and GTR for ages. I know Simbin games are grea
The only doubt is about community (and from what I see you do a lot of races here which is cool), and if you can just join a server and do a short race like GT Sport (more like a grab'n'go thing) because some weeks I don't have the time to practice for a proper event.
Maybe for endurance iRacing or ACC are more appropriate. Even so from what I see it's possible to make a 1h to 3h online race with the best realism possible!

The only doubt is about community (and from what I see you do a lot of races here which is cool), and if you can just join a server and do a short race like GT Sport (more like a grab'n'go thing) because some weeks I don't have the time to practice for a proper event.
This "jumping in" to un-planned public events is a problem for all racing sims, not just R3E. Public servers rarely have any oversight which means the quality of the racing can be way below par, with lots of ramming and crashing involved. It's a shame, but is down to the players at the end of the day as there are few ways of forcing people to drive fairly on unmonitored servers. It's probably the reason most of us are here to be honest... if public server racing was any good, then there would be no need for communities with organised racing clubs like RD! :p

But please don't make the mistake of thinking that our events require lots of practice and a totally dedicated attitude. They don't. Much of the time, the only practice people are getting is the official 30 minute practice session that precedes the race. You don't need to be an expert to join us. We race for fun, not competition. It's the best place to learn too, since it's a relaxed atmosphere and our motley crew are always happy to answer questions and give advice. :)

Of course you're right, the set times of organised events don't always fit our schedules, but when they do they are well worth joining.

And if you like singleplayer, Raceroom is the best imo. Lets make knowledge of the car and track, then set AI to your level, or train adaptive AI, and if you respect basic rules of racing, your experience will be more better than in others sims. I like starting from the last position, and battling with opponents for every one position, and races are great and immersive.

Hi Ross. Can I ask why the advice is to buy from the R3E store instead of steam? I purchase all my content when in game which is through steam and I don't see a difference in prices.
You're right that the transaction itself still goes through Steam, if you're not using vRP. I just meant buy from the R3E store (in-game or the website) rather than buying the actual Steam-based DLCs found on the game's Steam page. Using the store nets you discounts you don't get with the DLCs, and allows you to use vRP to pay which makes things a bit cheaper still.

Good mix of content, great audio and decent graphics for dx9 though car interiors look pretty dated

No weather, day to night transition or dynamic tracks makes it a bit bare bones compared to other current titles when it comes to track tech.

Regarding Gt3 content it is missing Ferrari, lambo and Aston Martin
Imo if your looking for a good gt3 experience and have a super computer that can run ACC I feel it would be the better option as it's far more in-depth

Online is dependent on where you live. If your based in Europe there are some regular clubs to join, if your in North America mp is a ghost town after 6pm est.

https://steamcharts.com/app/211500

Personal opinion I'd wait till a 50% off sale or for the announcement of if and when they are moving to a new engine
(Unreal engine was mentioned a while back) than purchase the premium pack.

A good game to have in your library.

Last edited:
Good mix of content, great audio and decent graphics for dx9 though car interiors look pretty dated

No weather, day to night transition or dynamic tracks makes it a bit bare bones compared to other current titles when it comes to track tech.

Regarding Gt3 content it is missing Ferrari, lambo and Aston Martin
Imo if your looking for a good gt3 experience and have a super computer that can run ACC I feel it would be the better option as it's far more in-depth

Online is dependent on where you live. If your based in Europe there are some regular clubs to join, if your in North America mp is a ghost town after 6pm est.

https://steamcharts.com/app/211500

Personal opinion I'd wait till a 50% off sale or for the announcement of if and when they are moving to a new engine
(Unreal engine was mentioned a while back) than purchase the premium pack.

A good game to have in your library.
I have a GTX1060 6gb, 16gb ram, i5 6600k so the pc won't be a problem.
Probably I'll buy some interesting things in Raceroom first, because a lot of players say that ACC is a trash and short game so I'm kind of undecided if I buy it or not (I'll wait till next month to see more opinions)
I reckon that RaceDepartment will organize a WTCR race at 25/06, so looking forward to it

I have a GTX1060 6gb, 16gb ram, i5 6600k so the pc won't be a problem.
Probably I'll buy some interesting things in Raceroom first, because a lot of players say that ACC is a trash and short game so I'm kind of undecided if I buy it or not (I'll wait till next month to see more opinions)
I reckon that RaceDepartment will organize a WTCR race at 25/06, so looking forward to it

I have just found this forum and am preparing to dive into this world of sim racing will super basic wheel/pedal setup but don't want to hit the bottom of the pool with my head!

My rig is older and I am unable to upgrade atm. Will my GTX 970, 16gb RAM, i5 6600k be OK for R3E? I understand I probably will not get a premium experience with basic gear but I'm just getting started and would like to participate.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.7%