is it time for a new pc?

First off Fred, rF2 is a system resource hog. By that I mean that if you want smooth graphics from it and you want low input lag, you are going to want something that is capable of performing well. Minecraft can tax the system as well though for the life of me I can't figure out why that is the case.

If you are going to upgrade to a newer computer, your choices are going to be limited by what you can afford to spend. There are usually some decent systems on ebay at times, but you want to be careful what you pick up from there. The other option would be to build your own system. For the build your own option, we need to find out what your budget is so that we can provide you with a decent idea of what to get that will perform well together.

As I mentioned earlier, when building a system it is always a good idea to try and match the CPU to the GPU so that you don't end up with a bottleneck at either end. In order to save money, the AMD CPU's tend to be better bang for the buck, but you can get more performance out of the Intel CPU's if you don't mind spending the money to do so.

You are going to want to stay away from integrated graphics as those tend to be slower than regular graphics cards, mainly due to the integrated using system ram instead of dedicated ram on the video car. I would recommend a card with at least 1Gb, preferably 2Gb minimum onboard ram. for motherboard and CPU I would recommend a CPU that is running at minimum 3Ghz speed. You will likely be able to keep using your current hard drive and DVD drive, and it is possible your case will work as well, though Packard Bell systems tend to not let this happen.

Due to the fact that you are going to need a PSU to power things properly, I would suggest a case as well as a new PSU so that you don't run into issues with proprietary parts from PB.

With information on budget I can be very specific on what will want to look at. I have put together gaming systems for as little as $500 US dollars and up to $2000 US depending on that the person wanted to get out of the system. The $500 system should be capable of running rF2 as well as Minecraft with most settings on high.

Let me know what you have to work with and what you want to do and I will proceed.

Well... thanks for the input... today I just heard from my parents that we're getting a new Imac and not a PC :O_o: so I'm not sure what will happen... I'm trying to persuade them to get a windows PC but they won't listen... what do i try now? Or do I just go with the imac?

Do a search on rF2 on a mac and see what others have done. It is possible to get things to work, the question is how much work are you going to have to do to get it to run. Apple OSX is based on Linux and there are a number of games that will run under the Linux portion of the Mac. I am not real up to date on mac though, so do some research and see what you can come up with.

As far as graphics goes though, you can't beat an Apple. :)

Apple computers are reliable, fast, exciting, different...

Most regular Windows games will not work on it. They are just not compatible for it:-/

Keep persuading!

You forgot ridiculously expensive for the performance you get out of them.

Well... thanks for the input... today I just heard from my parents that we're getting a new Imac and not a PC :O_o: so I'm not sure what will happen... I'm trying to persuade them to get a windows PC but they won't listen... what do i try now? Or do I just go with the imac?

For $1300 (the baseline price of the iMac...which undoubtedly will NOT handle rfactor2 very well) You could get an AWESOME pc. For reference I spent $850 about a year ago on mine, and I can play BF3 @ 60 fps on high settings (1920*1080 resolution)

lol I didn't forget, I just wanted to underline the great possibilities Macs offer:) Ok ok I forgot;)
Proper handling or not, most games simply will not start, so do your best to make your parents understand an iMac is the wrong choice in your eyes.
A self-built PC will give you all you need and will be fast enough for a reasonable price.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%