is it time for a new pc?

Here are the specs... what do you think :p ?
This is what i'm currently running :)
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-5-5-17)
Motherboard
Packard Bell BV MCP73PVT-PM (CPU 1)
Graphics
DELL E173FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
256MB GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i (Elitegroup)
Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
CD-ROM Drive
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

All depends on what you are doing with your system. If you are wanting to be able to play the latest games with full graphics on a full HD monitor, then yes, you should upgrade. If what you do with your system now performs to your liking, then no you don't need an upgrade.

Your system is old as far as technology is concerned, but upgrading just to upgrade isn't normally something I recommend, there has to be a reason for it. Your CPU speed is a little below minimum specs for most new or recently released software, and your graphics card might not be in the list of supported cards nor is the amount of ram on the graphics card enough, but like I said, if it is working for everything you need, why upgrade?

Your GPU seems a bit old. I would consider changing it as the first part. CPU will do for a little longer.
With those two, more RAM would be a logical follower, though not yet neccessary. But your 32-bit Windows can't manage it. So for 8 Gbyte you need a 64-bit version.
Do you have an OEM version or maybe the box with both versions in it?

HINT: A decent SSD is oh so tasty, once you tasted it:cool:

(Oh, see you're 15. I didn't have the money back then...)

If you are going to upgrade, I wouldn't waste my time buying pieces to fit what you have as you will find it hard to get anything that is going to work well with what you have. If you have to upgrade, replace the entire system with a new one.

BTW, there are ways to use more than 4Gb of ram in a 32bit OS. You just need some software to setup a ram drive and set your swap file to use that ram drive. This will increase speed of your system if you have a lot of Swap file usage.

I believe you have a PCI-E GPU?
Then you can upgrade this without a problem and will gain several frames.

Jim. he only is 15 years old. A whole new system seems a little bit too expensive. And a quadcore still is enough.

If you do a bit of research on the guys motherboard, the graphics is built into it. There may be an open PCI-e slot, but not real sure without seeing it. We also don't know what sort of PSU the system has nor it's capabilities, and with new GPU's, the PSU becomes very important in order to be able to use them. You should also have another look at his system specs, he states he is using a dual core, not a quad and the speed is only barely above 2Ghz, which is slow for new games as most don't like running on anything less than 3Ghz.

As for his age, that doesn't mean anything to me. He asked a question and I responded with the best information I have available to me along with the years of experience I have had as a computer tech and a Store owner.

The PC is a Packard Bell thing... it's also becoming increasingly unreliable... freezing and stuff... I wanted to upgrade to a 6850 but I was told I needed a new motherboard... so i'm not sure what to do :S

With the PC being a Packard Bell, I would absolutely go for a new PC as PB's have a tendency to use proprietary components and as such won't work with aftermarket parts. With the system being unreliable at the moment, this could be an issue with the PSU as those tended to be the bare minimum in order for the system to function, and when they start to decay, the system will become unreliable.

If you are looking to go to a 6850, then I can assure you that the CPU will be a bottleneck and you won't come close to the performance available from the GPU.

Best bet would be to describe the budget you have to work with so that we can see if there is anything that will be close to working for you both cost wise as well as performance wise. List the titles of games that you normally play and the ones you intend to be able to play as well so that minimum system specs can be looked at to be sure you will be satisfied with the outcome.

basically rf2 ;) as i'm a team manager hehe :) it's all i need :D and maybe some minecraft... budget wise i'm unsure of at the moment.. i'll get back to you on that

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Sorry, seemed like a Quad for me:-(

Ah, resolution is 19".
I run a HD 6850 on FullHD and it comes to it's limit when smoke and other particle effects are heavy! Did have no problems on my old 19" with this card. And a quadcore is really sufficient.
Too bad you can't insert a true PCI-Express graphics card.

Sorry I haven't looked properly at the mainboard stats.
Seems you really must buy most parts new, Fred. Have you someone who maybe can put components together we suggest to you? That would be a blast!

I sit corrected Andreas, hehe, guess I should read a little closer myself, :)

How are you determining that your graphics card is reaching it's limit when you have full effects running btw?

In Race 07 when starting in the pack and tires scream my framerate starts decreasing. It's not the amount of cars but the smoke from all them.
Without smoke and dust it's running smoothly.
Purchased it for my old 19" screen and now with 24" I have frames left.
OK, accelerating the core from 775 to 965 Mhz helps for sure, but still not superfast.

The reason I asked the question is because if you are not attempting to match the CPU with the GPU and your CPU is slow, you aren't maxing the GPU, you are maxing the CPU. It's called a bottleneck. As a test, you can download and run MSI Afterburner and set it to display the GPU %, GPU Memory and framerate on screen. This way you will know for sure what is being maxed and what isn't.

I can't believe your CPU reaches the limit and your GPU does not in a game. When did you look at it? Have you anything running in background? Seti@Home for example. This uses CPU power only.

The GPU is your bottleneck so far. Still, in my opinion a single GPU change won't help you for long.
The GPU you need depends on your mainboard. I (we?) believe you have a PCI Express 16x port left empty so you can insert a new card there.

Would be nice to post a picture of your case open to see the components maybe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back