Is it possible to replace 2D spectators with 3D?

I understand that when you ride, you don't really notice such details, but as a rule, the details create an overall atmosphere, even if you do not look directly at them. And spectators at Assetto corsa are just terrible. I think it's really strange to have gorgeous rain, gorgeous lighting, clowds and particles, but not have volumetric realistic spectators which will not spoil the track with their appearance

Last edited:
A 2D spectator uses 2 triangles. A 3D spectator probably uses 300 tris. My tracks usually have 8-10,000 spectators spread around the circuit, so 3D people would add quite a big performance hit.

3D trees would be even more demanding, and be completely impractical, unfortunately.
It's true, when we have quantum computers we'll be able to update AC to its full glory. Until then we have to be cheered by our fancy bitriangular folks.

A 2D spectator uses 2 triangles. A 3D spectator probably uses 300 tris. My tracks usually have 8-10,000 spectators spread around the circuit, so 3D people would add quite a big performance hit.

3D trees would be even more demanding, and be completely impractical, unfortunately.
And it is impossible to make the parameter of the viewing range for 3d spectators? Those that are in the field of view to show in 3D, and those that are out of sight in 2D, or to remove the 2D versions altogether? Sorry in advance, I don't understand much about modding and programming

Slowly but surely the subject of 2D trees and spectators is turning into the elephant in the AC room

While I generally do agree, that those flat pane trees and spectators can spoil the experience,
the problem imo has less to do with those being made of 2D panes only, but rather the less then ideal cropping, texturing, coloring, orientation, and general implementation of those panes into the scenery, in many cases.
If you look at any track from e.g. @Fat-Alfie and @LilSki, you can see how excellent und unobtrusive it can look if done right. Then @THL has released his Opel Rennbahn with loads of 3D spectators, and (I believe) also 3D trees (or treechunks) , and it looks stunning as well.

Everything in 3D, multiple light sources, ray tracing, bump mapping for the road....
At some point we might have to accept that there are limitations as to what can (reasonably) be achieved within the AC engine.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back