Is it near impossible to shift in F1 sims with a non-racing wheel?

I have been trying with nothing but stumbles to shift an F1 car in sims; of course, Tier 1 is a class of its own, but it seems almost as you need a steering wheel to manoeuvre in sims such as F1 CE, rFactor, F1 Challenge 99-02, and Codies' F1 2010. :confused:

I can drive with every other aid turned off, but I can't shift with a Game Pad at all. I was planning on using my SideWinder Force Feedback Pro if I could find its USB adapter on sale. I might have to wait for pay day to come next Monday; I was thinking about purchasing Driving Wheel GT for Gran Turismo which also has PC compatibilty.

Heck, I even used my DualShock 3 controller through special drivers to play it through motion sensing, but that is also a stumble. :rolleyes:

I have seen some really great and fast drivers who use game controllers and some that use keyboards, so if they can do it I am pretty sure that you can. It is just a matter of figuring out what it is going to take to be able to make it work out for you. Do you have the games set to auto clutch? what have you assigned your up shift and down shift to?

Upvote 0
I'm using a Logitech RumblePad 2 Gamepad and I use the front right shoulder button to shift up, and the front left shoulder button to shift down, whilst using the analogue sticks to accelerate/brake and steer. It takes a while to get comfortable, but once you do then you will find it better.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back