Is it just me?

Or does the AI at Zolder have real issues with chicanes? They seem to stop dead mid-way through the corner, then accelerate then stop dead again forcing me to rear end them as an accident is completely unavoidable. I have restarted countless races that were on their way to being epic, only to be, (what seemed like) brake tested or shoddy lines through the corner. And no the AI level is set just fine, if i go any higher i get absolutely destroyed, it seems to be only this track im encountering the issue...its a shame because its a real deal breaker. You cant race the AI confidently without second guessing what they are about to do!

One of the best budget coolers is the Cooler master Hyper 212 Evo which can compete with many AIO's and higher end coolers out there and i believe is around the 30 Euro mark :)
Just nope, sorry. It might be "enough" if you got a really cool case but looking at raw comparison of delta temps:
upload_2019-4-23_12-43-42.png

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...ler-master-hyper-212-led-im-test.html?start=6

The LED is the successor of the EVO as far as I know.

The 212 LED is based on the older 212 which the 212 Evo out performs if i remember correctly :)
Ah okay!
Either way for air cooling it's all about surface area. Optimal airflow and the components make some difference too but all the cooler master 212 no matter if evo, led etc are pretty thin. Components and air flow seem to be really good in comparison but they all lack raw surface area.
For a 5 GHz i9 you would want to look for something like the noctua nh-d 15

• Deleted member 197115

If you are planning on overclocking, cooling is the last thing you want to save money on.
240mm AIO like Corsair H100 should do pretty well, quiet too. (MPL fans)
I am sure there are some budget options too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the cheapest simracing only machine:
I5 9600k
And depending on the prices and tests of the upcoming ryzen 3xxx:
Ryzen 3600

And if you need more power for rendering and other work stuff:
I7 9700k or i9 9900k

For cooling you should either go big fat air cooler like thermalright Macho, dark rock pro 4, noctua nh-d 15 etc, or a 240mm AiO.

Memory get the fastest you can pay for. But don't get 300€ memory with the i5 instead of 100€ memory with the i7 of course :p

All incredibly interesting and love geeking out about this stuff too but back on topic!

I turned up the AI to 95/95 and now the game has changed... its fricking tough for starters. The AI don't all stack into the 2nd corner anymore, they follow each other closely and there is no room for error.
Basically I have the same number of AI, just made them smarter. All good now and my only wish is that I could just accept my ageing hardware for longer without the incessant itch to upgrade it all the time... :cry:

I notice when i set every ai setting to max.
In acc i spin the car around and let it stay still
Ai drove in to me and formed a big traffic jam but when i do the same thing in ac they drive around me.. so in my eyes ai is better at the moment in ac then acc

Just nope, sorry. It might be "enough" if you got a really cool case but looking at raw comparison of delta temps:

I own thw 212 led on a i7 and i can say my cpu is not hotter then 48 to 52 degrees celsius.

Its not only the cpu cooler.. good airflow in your case is helping alot. I got a coolmaster haf or hap+ case with a big fan in front one on the side and one in the back. All on lowest speed and my cpu never gets hotter then 52 celsius

(As someone who runs a Ryzen 2600, even though somewhat overclocked, I'll just say it's really not as bad that you'd have to completely avoid it for simracing or gaming in general. Yes, Intel CPUs are likely a better choice, but they tend to be more expensive and also, if you do other things on your PC apart from gaming, Intel's advantage might disappear fairly quickly depending on what you do. I don't regret getting the Ryzen in the slightest. Though it's true that getting a Ryzen 7 won't give you any real advantage compared to Ryzen 5 for gaming, unless you stream/record and use CPU encoding instead of something like NVENC.)

All incredibly interesting and love geeking out about this stuff too but back on topic!

I turned up the AI to 95/95 and now the game has changed... its fricking tough for starters. The AI don't all stack into the 2nd corner anymore, they follow each other closely and there is no room for error.
Basically I have the same number of AI, just made them smarter. All good now and my only wish is that I could just accept my ageing hardware for longer without the incessant itch to upgrade it all the time... :cry:
Oh...I thought that might be the case! Looks like I will be watching the pack from the back of the grid, having said that I did go and purchase an i5 9600k / MSI Nvidia 2060 - so thanks to all for all the help and advice. It's very much appreciated.

Maybe not much help but I run a Ryzen 5 2600X that happily boosts to 4.2Ghz, Corsair LPX RAM 3200 running at it's properly posted speed (the 'right' RAM is very important for the AMD CPUs, makes a big difference) and a OC'd RTX 2060 - I get around 70-80fps in game, maxed out graphics, 1440p, with a full grid, runs super smooth. GPU is running flat out but well cooled so no throttling, CPU peaks at about 40% capacity and doesn't get above 45C.

AC I get around 115fps maxed as above etc...

Maybe not much help but I run a Ryzen 5 2600X that happily boosts to 4.2Ghz, Corsair LPX RAM 3200 running at it's properly posted speed (the 'right' RAM is very important for the AMD CPUs, makes a big difference) and a OC'd RTX 2060 - I get around 70-80fps in game, maxed out graphics, 1440p, with a full grid, runs super smooth. GPU is running flat out but well cooled so no throttling, CPU peaks at about 40% capacity and doesn't get above 45C.

AC I get around 115fps maxed as above etc...
Would be interesting what fps you would get in acc if you lowered the graphics settings so the ryzen can be run into its limit instead of the 2060. And then comparing this to the 9600k.

If you want to do the quick test:
Put resolution scale to the minimum possible (beware, eyes will hurt hehe) and disable dynamic upsampling in the advanced tab.
This will keep all effects etc active and therefore won't lower the cpu load but the reduced resolution will free up the 2060 a lot.
Should do the job for a proper test :)
Then please tell us which track at what time of day + weather and how many AIs and also how many "visible opponents" you have set.

Would be nice to know the result! :)

Don't wonder though: if the load of the 2060 drops below 90% you are in the cpu limit. That might be at about 60% cpu load though due to acc not running on enough threads!

Would be interesting what fps you would get in acc if you lowered the graphics settings so the ryzen can be run into its limit instead of the 2060. And then comparing this to the 9600k.

If you want to do the quick test:
Put resolution scale to the minimum possible (beware, eyes will hurt hehe) and disable dynamic upsampling in the advanced tab.
This will keep all effects etc active and therefore won't lower the cpu load but the reduced resolution will free up the 2060 a lot.
Should do the job for a proper test :)
Then please tell us which track at what time of day + weather and how many AIs and also how many "visible opponents" you have set.

Would be nice to know the result! :)

Don't wonder though: if the load of the 2060 drops below 90% you are in the cpu limit. That might be at about 60% cpu load though due to acc not running on enough threads!
Ok, had a quick go, so by no means an exhaustive test.

Dropped everything to the lowest graphics settings and the GPU was running 35-40% @ 40-43C
CPU was running at.. exactly the same. No different to before. Checked with resource manager and all cores/threads being used, just not that much. That was with all visible oppos.

FPS was around 80-90

By the way - the thing that I've found affects FPS the most at the Epic/High settings is the Foliage LOD setting in the advanced tab. I set it to Mid - game looks exactly the same and makes a 20fps difference over High.

Dropped everything to the lowest graphics settings and the GPU was running 35-40% @ 40-43C
CPU was running at.. exactly the same. No different to before.
Yeah, no surprise there. It really is a very CPU limited game. I mean, in 1920x1200, with around medium settings, I was still often maxing it out with a mere 970 (on a somewhat OC Ryzen 2600). Upgrading to 1660Ti basically only gave me more stable framerate in the rain and other more GPU intensive situations, access to higher graphics settings and higher resolution to use, but the maximum framerate barely changed.

(I wish I would finally get around to do the comparison videos I've been promising, and now even more with the GPU upgrade. But I hate doing edited videos so much, so I always postpone it for some other time, even when I would have time to make them... :cry::redface:)

So I finally fired up the new setup - I can't thank you guys enough. It destroys all my racing titles I've bought on Steam. Everything is maxed out and it's just buttery smooth, I can't quite get over the difference, and how bad things were before but I was none the wiser! VR in particular is astonishingly different experience now. In RRRE I'm running 45 car grids (track dependent), no FPS drops and I can now read the dash and buttons on the wheel. ACC VR though is very much a sh:t show - awful stuttering, and within 2 minutes I just had to stop due to frame drops making me feel sick with motion sickness. Is this where the title is right now? Or am I missing a trick? I was shocked at the difference. Again, thanks for all the advice on offer here - I very nearly went the AMD route, I'm glad I didn't now.

So I finally fired up the new setup - I can't thank you guys enough. It destroys all my racing titles I've bought on Steam. Everything is maxed out and it's just buttery smooth, I can't quite get over the difference, and how bad things were before but I was none the wiser! VR in particular is astonishingly different experience now. In RRRE I'm running 45 car grids (track dependent), no FPS drops and I can now read the dash and buttons on the wheel. ACC VR though is very much a sh:t show - awful stuttering, and within 2 minutes I just had to stop due to frame drops making me feel sick with motion sickness. Is this where the title is right now? Or am I missing a trick? I was shocked at the difference. Again, thanks for all the advice on offer here - I very nearly went the AMD route, I'm glad I didn't now.
What did you end up with in the end? :)

MSI 2060 Gaming Z in combination with 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz, Intel Core i5 9600K and a gaming motherboard. It cost a pretty penny but hopefully it'll future proof my computer for the next few years. TBH I like just editing and gaming on AMS, but ACC is rather good and has my attention. Let's hope VR gets sorted!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back