Is iRacing still competive with other sims ?

Read some of the views about iRacing and how its been around now since 2008, and how the looks just don't compete with other sims. I do wish iRacing did have AI racing as well, but I also understand it was meant more for online, but that aside iRacing runs smooth and although probably not having the latest and greatest eye candy.
I think what most interests simmers isn't eye candy though, its submersion, and iRacing has this down pat. Besides at speed who really cares about looking at individual blades of grass anyways ?
Best thing is it runs great even on older PC's, which makes it available to many more simmers. If it does get updated, I wonder whether that will be the case.

<Mod Edit: Please do not post Personal Message content on the public boards without permission of all parties involved. If you are having problems with another user, report the content to staff so we can sort it out.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought i'd post it here.

Can it be that the tire/grip calculation is completely off?
Example: Lime Rock, turns 3 (left) and 4 (right). I get into a little slide in turn 3 but catch it, then the very short straight part in which i obviously don't slide and the second i turn right i have no grip as if there's a variable set to 'no grip' which wasn't reset on the short straight.

I had already several occasions of that and i haven't seen that happen in any other sim.

Thought i'd post it here.

Can it be that the tire/grip calculation is completely off?
Example: Lime Rock, turns 3 (left) and 4 (right). I get into a little slide in turn 3 but catch it, then the very short straight part in which i obviously don't slide and the second i turn right i have no grip as if there's a variable set to 'no grip' which wasn't reset on the short straight.

I had already several occasions of that and i haven't seen that happen in any other sim.
Turn 4 has negative camber (causing less grip), while turn 3 has positive (causing more grip), so that might explain it. You might overheat the tires in turn 3 as well, which means the tires offer very little grip. Which car were you driving and do you have more examples?

I had no grip yesterday in the Aston Martin gt1 car. Span it three times on power down out of the T1 chicane. On post race investigation I'd bound the tc on the same rotary as teamspeak volume, which I turned down to concentrate!

Oops!

Talking about grip issues, COTA in Ruf Cup this week was mervellous experience. It was 1st time for me to try this combo.
I usually like Ruf C and I also like Cota in other games. But here, no fun, no grip at all, like a rainy circuit, totally unreal. Furthermore fixed setup must has been fixed randomly without doing one single lap.
It's 1st time since I joined iRacing few month ago I don't have pleasure at all.... and I'm so far from good laps (maybe both are linked ;) )

COTA is fairly slippery itself, and another thing is due to how wide it is. You don't feel like you're going fast, but in reality when you look at your speed, it's pretty high. Same thing with the Nurb GP.

Wide tracks just make it seem like you're going slow, but you're not. Same in real life (got a friend who lapped his car on the Nurb GP, he said the same thing).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%