Is iRacing still competive with other sims ?

Read some of the views about iRacing and how its been around now since 2008, and how the looks just don't compete with other sims. I do wish iRacing did have AI racing as well, but I also understand it was meant more for online, but that aside iRacing runs smooth and although probably not having the latest and greatest eye candy.
I think what most interests simmers isn't eye candy though, its submersion, and iRacing has this down pat. Besides at speed who really cares about looking at individual blades of grass anyways ?
Best thing is it runs great even on older PC's, which makes it available to many more simmers. If it does get updated, I wonder whether that will be the case.

vito, can't we switch the wobbling off? i think i did, never liked it in any game.

speaking of realism: getting into more than one event a week is quite possibly the most unrealistic about iRacing or any other game there is. however, these being games, who cares?
You can race as much as you want in iR? Why would you think its one event a week? Theres so much going on, plus the grand amount of leagues running, cant complain there either. Its meant to simulate a season and be properly organized for people who cant race in a league or race a certain time.

I hear you James and agreed, No we don't hear about the cockpit shaking around ( obliviously for immersion purposes ), from drivers within IR, however there a many that have come and gone for this reason, plus I have encouraged many to try out ... and as I have said many have done so and instantly gone . I point out though I'm only discussing the v8's, because that's my personal fav ... however I believe IR v8's would have an enormous growth if only they would implement the options 1) to allow independent control of FOV and independent in car (cockpit) view, with adjustable movement , 2) allow drivers preference of either in car or bonnet view. Let's not get me wrong here I drive other cars and sims as well, but see how marketing works, I never was attracted to IR because every car was a ford, yet when I heard the VF came to IR, I was in and still am. The graphics also are stunning ( on my system anyway ). Now that I'm in, chances are I will explore many other vehicles ... wouldn't anyone. However, if ones prime reason to join IR was for a particular vehicle in this case V8's, and find it's not to there liking they'll simply go back to other sims and IR miss out growth and primarily to them monetary terms... like any good business ... more profitable you are more options for the entire sim ... better for all.

Two things to consider here and I thankyou to all the responses thus far. IR if you are reading ....
1) to capture more members that want to participate but refuse to because IR dictates how one should drive the car, one view fits all approach in particular v8's is not good marketing, unlike other sims at least the options are there.
2) if IR wont provide the options above at least allow cockpit view the option to minimise the movement from 0 to whatever.

From here I guess is to comprehend the problem drivers are experiencing with the V8 cockpit view. These are not drivers already within IR, they the hundreds that have come and gone.

In a real world experience your peripheral vision does not absorb the movement of the in car surroundings to the point that it becomes distracting. Our peripheral vision are not condensed to the perimeters of our monitors when it comes to our sim racing/driving. Hence you see now when focusing on our driving looking for markers ect ... we have this constant movement of the cockpit splitting our peripheral vision and to many this becomes unrealistic and distracting.... to point of frustration ... hence quitting.

Now I want no argument nor a debate here between us drivers on how one should and should not drive. Nor would I be entertained by anyone saying just get used to it plus not wanting a FOV discussion... respect

But I will say this .... To IRacing, professionally speaking. I been in business Long enough to recognise a flaw within a company that limits growth potential. The Australian V8 super-cars are expanding popularity world wide.... If it's programming reasons why these options are not available then it is what it is.... and you need to go back to the drawing board... quickly at that ....
So I leave this with IRacing
1) to allow independent control of FOV
2) independent in car (cockpit) view, with adjustable movement ,
3) allow drivers preference of either in car or bonnet view.
Begin to get this right, with more members flooding your gates, we'll talk about getting the Australian tracks in there as well ... lol

I'll add this: try going to your pits, change to cockpit cam and press CTRL+F12. Change the camera settings to your desired (or as close to it as possible) position - if you want closer, change the X-axis offset option. Change others as you wish - there is even an FOV slider, but I haven't changed much other than position. Click save car. This will be your new cockpit cam position for this car until you change it or reset it.

I use this a lot within iR as some of the default cockpit cams seem off to my driving position/setup. Most of the time it feels too high, so I set it lower. Not sure if this is what you need to get close to a bonnet cam, but it may help and it isn't a widely known option.

I'll add this: try going to your pits, change to cockpit cam and press CTRL+F12. Change the camera settings to your desired (or as close to it as possible) position - if you want closer, change the X-axis offset option. Change others as you wish - there is even an FOV slider, but I haven't changed much other than position. Click save car. This will be your new cockpit cam position for this car until you change it or reset it.

I use this a lot within iR as some of the default cockpit cams seem off to my driving position/setup. Most of the time it feels too high, so I set it lower. Not sure if this is what you need to get close to a bonnet cam, but it may help and it isn't a widely known option.
I was just gonna recommend that, I totally forgot.

So I leave this with IRacing
1) to allow independent control of FOV
2) independent in car (cockpit) view, with adjustable movement ,
3) allow drivers preference of either in car or bonnet view.

1. Independent control of FOV is adjustable in many places. You can even do it from in cockpit by pressing F9. You can also shift your view up/down in that menu.
2. As mentioned above you can adjust the camera view by using the ctrl + F12 menu.
3. Bonnet view has been disabled due to it not being very realistic. Plus in 5 - 10 years when everyone is using VR HMD's cockpit view will be even less realistic. :)

Hi William, of course it's drivable .... seriously do you think it's correct ? .... I don't think so .

Hi James, firstly , I prefer cockpit view, but in IR instance, and in particular the V8's it's totally wrong .... and with respect, let's not take personal preferences into count here ... those drivers whom feel they are a cut above others just because they drive in cockpit view.... whilst they use paddles, or drive an entire race without using clutch, don't heel toe ect ect ... one could debate they are also an unfair advantage .... Agreed.

lets not enter into a driver's personal preferences playing the game, The fact is the cockpit view with it's wobbling for the purpose I guess for realism is.....Wrong ...Period. Now there are those that just go with the flow and accept it how it is ... well and good and I say continue as I am and have been

BUT IT IS WRONG !! ....... IR should you be reading ....

only discussing V8's
As others said, you can adjust the view (CTRL+F12 in cockpit view replay) depending on how you're sitting IRL. And turn off the head wobble or whatever that is, so annoying.

Personally, I have a single 27" monitor, I can drive just fine with it... And I'm a RFB in everything but F1/Indy/HPD. Heel and toe, sequential stick, manual, paddles, etc... depending on the car.

I honestly do not get this. please help me out.
I'll try to address it in multiple ways. I thought what you implied it that you could only race once per week in a series. You can race as much as you like and any series you want, as long you have the license to do so. You could try whatever hosted races are available or the leagues, some are even open to anyone. I wouldn't say necessarily its unrealistic, what real life series races multiple times a week, at different tracks? iR is meant to run organized series for people who don't do leagues or want a some what more serious organization of events. They are pretty much organized "pick up" races but of course with repercussions for incidents. If they did multiple races a week, it would cause people to have to purchase multiple tracks just to keep up vs one track for that week. Provides a certain build up to each week instead of jumping in a different track each time. For me Im glad it goes this way because it be busy just to make setups and keep up with all the racing and at the same time be competitive for good results and possibly go for a division or overall championship. Its a different pace of things and not for everyone, for me its quality over quantity.

james, i suppose we are flogging a dead horse here. having been an iRacer for three years + i am well aware of how the system works. i was just pointing out that with all the talk of realism, the unlimited track time we all enjoy so much is to my mind the most un-realistic aspect of any racing game out there. the chaps i know who do real life racing are happy to get two afternoons of shakedown before a season, sometimes in march or april when it is still freezing cold in northern europe and then an hour each weekend to setup the car properly and get to know the track and that's about it.

james, i suppose we are flogging a dead horse here. having been an iRacer for three years + i am well aware of how the system works. i was just pointing out that with all the talk of realism, the unlimited track time we all enjoy so much is to my mind the most un-realistic aspect of any racing game out there. the chaps i know who do real life racing are happy to get two afternoons of shakedown before a season, sometimes in march or april when it is still freezing cold in northern europe and then an hour each weekend to setup the car properly and get to know the track and that's about it.
Ahhh I understand now. Yeah, true but thats the same for any sim out there, its the luxury we have, to practice whenever we like and any condition we want. Funny you say it though, when I raced in a league, I always never agreed with having a server setup with the same race weekend setup, felt it was cheating for other drivers to hop in and practice a race environment in the set conditions. In iR I dont do a whole lot of practice sessions for a race, mainly four tops then its time to go for it.

Hi William, of course it's drivable .... seriously do you think it's correct ? .... I don't think so .

Hi James, firstly , I prefer cockpit view, but in IR instance, and in particular the V8's it's totally wrong .... and with respect, let's not take personal preferences into count here ... those drivers whom feel they are a cut above others just because they drive in cockpit view.... whilst they use paddles, or drive an entire race without using clutch, don't heel toe ect ect ... one could debate they are also an unfair advantage .... Agreed.

lets not enter into a driver's personal preferences playing the game, The fact is the cockpit view with it's wobbling for the purpose I guess for realism is.....Wrong ...Period. Now there are those that just go with the flow and accept it how it is ... well and good and I say continue as I am and have been

only discussing V8's[the l
Th V8 is exactly the same in iracing as it is the real thing I have driven the real thing multiple times and iracings V8SC is as close to driving the real thing you'll find on any sim. I drive it in sim as it needs to be in real life using clutch and heel-toe on downshifts with a custom made sequential shifter you're better off learning to downshift straight away as iracing penalises you for using auto blip or clutch or any assist in all cars it's not for everyone iracing as you need to put a lot of time into every car learning the way it drives and the big one setups if this is off you'll have a car that's undrivable at speed the baseline you get is average at best and needs a lot tweaking if you want to be competitive. i take sim racing very seriously and put in tons of time each day at least 10-12 hours to get ready for the four main series(Blancpain sprint,GT1,IMSA and V8SC) I run each season and 3 leauge races I run in every week I suppose it depends what you're wanting from a sim and the time and money you have to put into it

Fixed the quotes:

only discussing V8's

The V8 is exactly the same in iracing as it is the real thing I have driven the real thing multiple times and iracings V8SC is as close to driving the real thing you'll find on any sim. I drive it in sim as it needs to be in real life using clutch and heel-toe on downshifts with a custom made sequential shifter you're better off learning to downshift straight away as iracing penalises you for using auto blip or clutch or any assist in all cars it's not for everyone iracing as you need to put a lot of time into every car learning the way it drives and the big one setups if this is off you'll have a car that's undrivable at speed the baseline you get is average at best and needs a lot tweaking if you want to be competitive. i take sim racing very seriously and put in tons of time each day at least 10-12 hours to get ready for the four main series(Blancpain sprint,GT1,IMSA and V8SC) I run each season and 3 leauge races I run in every week I suppose it depends what you're wanting from a sim and the time and money you have to put into it

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back