Is F1 really the pinnacle of motorsport?

Hey guys,

So I was just thinking about F1 and this question popped into my head, and I was wondering maybe it isn't.

Personally I think WEC cars are the pinnacle of motorsport because of its strategic level and long racing times that make it more demanding thus making it the pinnacle of motorsport.

Tell me what you think in the comments.

Runic

A lot of F1 inventions went to the WEC, yes. The thing is a lot of (those) inventions are now banned in F1.
Active suspension
Passive suspension (Fric)
ABS
Traction control (all versions)
Ground effect (early 80's)

It still is... but it's now more about business than sport.
It's always been about money but there was still the pride for teams in saying "We will beat you and go as fast as we can doing so."
Most of the technology coming from F1 cars is still way to expensive to implement in most modern road cars...so the benefits are very few at this stage.

Last edited:
I say No because there are so many types of motorsports. Sure, it's the best at going fast on twisty tracks, but you'll never see a modern F1 car win the Indy 500. The engine would probably blow up before the end. You'll also never see it crash like a NASCAR car and get back in the race. The car would fall apart at the smallest hint of contact.

My point is that each type of racing has its own "pinnacle", so you cant's say F1 is the pinnacle of ALL motorsport.

Tons of idea's/technology went from F1 into modern cars. When your car has a problem? Your garage connects a computer to it and they can read out what is wrong with it.

A F1 car would be able to race a 500 miles race at Indy and probably win it! Look how much the engines have to endure! Not one race, but multiple races. What was Bottas' top speed at Baku? 378 kph! On a road course with slower corners than Indy cars run on Indianapolis.

And comparing F1 with NASCAR? Sometimes a F1 car crashes in practice, is taken back to the pits and they rebuild it for the next practice.
The damage on a NASCAR is not comparable to what damage an F1 car has to endure.
Simple technology, non-carbon chassis, closed cockpit.

F1 Cars would not do well in Indy 500. IndyCars are basically flat out the entire lap. The only thing that comes close to that in F1 is Monza, and that race is not even half the distance of the Indy 500. Not only that but the current Hybrid tech would not work there, because there is little if any braking, so ERS would be dead after a few laps. It would be cool to see some of those V10 engines run in the 500 though. In fact back when the race was more of a constructor race a lot of cars would blow their engines during the race. I remember in 1992 Micheal Andretti was dominating the race in a Honda (almost lapped the field) and then the engine blew up with 5 laps to go.

For average speed around a road course nothing beats F1, not even Indy Car (but Indy Car is much better suited to Oval racing where the average speeds are much higher and there is less braking involved). The P1 class in WEC is still about 5 seconds off the pace around Spa compared to F1 in ultimate pace, but as was mentioned the do go for much longer distances. I see WEC as the true test for road car technology, because reliability and longevity are the most important things that go into a road car that the general public will buy and drive.

IndyCar is basically a spec series, so they can't really push the boundaries of performance anymore (although they once did) like F1 does, and the current cars pretty much suck at the street courses, but they are unbeatable on the Oval tracks. I went to a race a Auto Club Speedway a couple of years ago, and it was very exciting with a lot of wheel to wheel action. Average speed around that 2-mile oval was 220 mph, and there is display at turn 1 that shows the speed traps, and the cars topped out at around 230 mph, but averaged around 223 mph over a long run. That is some serious speed. I don't think today's F1 cars could maintain that kind of pace on that track for that much distance (500 miles).

Compared to F1 NASCAR tech is basic, but if you look closely at what they do you will see that they have some pretty advanced technology too. They pioneered the use of shaker rigs to tune the suspensions. The push-rod V-8 engines may seem crude and low tech, but there is a lot of engineering put into them. Each cylinder on these engines is tuned for maximum output and efficiency, and they have to last an entire race weekend running over 9000 RPM (and this is a 5.7 liter engine so the stroke is much longer than the F1 V8 was) for what adds up to probably about 800-1000 miles. The safety features on the race tracks they run on (SAFER barrier) are very advanced, and something I'm surprised F1 doesn't use at some of the classic track layouts rather than having miles of runoff like they do now.

If needed an F1 car can run a 500 mile race at full speed.

Or let us turn it around: Let an Indy car race at Monaco...
F1 cars are not designed to run at the sustained speeds seen at Indianapolis Speedway for 500 miles. Also they are not setup for Ovals either so the Indycars would likely beat them in an oval race over a 500 mile distance. As I said before, the ERS on the current F1 cars would be dead after a few laps(no braking), whereas the Indycar has full HP available for the entire race. Plus the Indycar in the oval configuration has very good overtaking characteristics. Still I'd like to see what an F1 cars lap time would be compared to an Indy Car.

My bet would go for Super Gt series. Amazing cars and even more amazing war is going on there with the tire suppliers. I only hope this series will ones come to Europe to host some event here (else, I have to go there, there is any other way :) ).

My bet would go for Super Gt series. Amazing cars and even more amazing war is going on there with the tire suppliers. I only hope this series will ones come to Europe to host some event here (else, I have to go there, there is any other way :) ).
According to the latest news both DTM and Japanes GT500 are working towards a common regulation so they could merge into a World series... I hope so...

According to the latest news both DTM and Japanes GT500 are working towards a common regulation so they could merge into a World series... I hope so...
I have read about it. There were rumours that there should be a race this year im Europe, but I doubt that would happen. Maybe next year.
Germans just cannot cope with Japanese atm.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back