Is DLC destroying gaming?

The idea of downloadable-content has been a complex idea since it was first brought up in the middle of last decade.

I looked at the PlayStation Store and I was disappointed with the direction gaming is headed.

I will say that a majority of DLC expands the game greatly, but, a good minority of DLC is like the Oblivion Horse Armour DLC or Pay-to-win.

I also get that feeling that pure single-player games are dying out?

Your thoughts?

It depends on how you look at it. We grew up with single-player games and in a time when DLC didn't exist yet.. so yeah, to us it seems that paying extra money for extra content isn't fair. Though for future generations it'll be standard procedure, so they won't feel that 'gaming' is being destroyed. This is indeed the direction the gaming industry is heading, but what worries me more is the Free to Play model which, too, will define the future of gaming.
Again, this will most likely become an industry standard.

And yeah single-player games are slowly dying out because consumers expect there to be a multiplayer mode in a game they buy. If there isn't then they feel they paid too much for too little content. Pure single-player games will in the future most likely be the ''indie games'' genre of today, made by a select group of individuals rather than a studio.

I also despise how there is collector's edition DLC that is exclusive to that edition and is never released on a standard edition.

Examples:

Fable II for Xbox 360
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Pre-Order DLC
NBA 2K13 Pre-Order DLC
The list goes on...

When I own a game, we consumers should be allowed to purchased pre-ordered or collector's edition content.

They are doing this to make you pre-order their game to better calculate thing I guess. I have left the direction of "having it all", for example I neglected the weapon-DLCs for Deus Ex 3 as they don't add up to the game whereas I purchased The Missing Link DLC (several hours gameplay).
I haven't spent the full price for a game for years.
They make us buy DLCs? So they wait for me to buy, until value for money is nice for me. I have plenty to play!

I don't think single player is dying. In Germany we are very excited about adventures which will stay singleplayer as a matter of fact.

Let's watch and see where it all is going. I still had a better feeling about video games in the past. So many "Part 2" or 3 games...
But there will always be innovative developers!

I think the idea of a DLC can work well, the problem is companies look at this as a way to screw us over for more money. I'll use something like NHL 13: (which I know doesn't have DLC's... to my knowledge at least) In the past when I bought an NHL game, like NHL 04 you played it for a year, had some fun, and waiting until NHL 05 came out to buy that if you were a fan of the series. I would have liked the offer of paying maybe $10-$15 for updated teams, arenas, jerseys etc to the current year instead of paying $50-$60 for the new game. I think where DLC's fail are with games like Call of Duty MW3 where people think it's pointless to buy new maps on top of the 10 or so you receive months after the game came out and you don't play it too much anymore. I think it was smarter of Activision to just give the maps out free like they did in CoD4 and CoDWaW because it encouraged people to play the game against and even got some people to buy it after seeing the great FREE work they did.

So, I don't think it's directly ruining gaming, it can make it better if it's implemented properly, but companies will find a way of ruining them.

EA's tiger woods 2012 is a great example of DLC gone wrong.

The whole game is basically the free to play "tiger woods online" except you can play as much as you want. (tiger woods online has a currency system and each course has a fee, you get a certain amount of money daily, but you can't play every course in a day)

However for things like better gear you have to pay real money to get them as DLC.

So basically they charge $60 for a game that you can have unlimited play time of the f2p tiger woods online.

Not to mention the game's graphics look unchanged from tiger woods 08.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back