DiRT Rally Is DiRT Rally simulation ?

Guys, I made an ultimate test. Coming from iRacing, rF, SimBin, Assetto Corsa, RBR, etc... I made 3 videos. I bought tha game and recorded my first ever rides. I didn't know what to expect, so I was treating it like sim and gave it a go. Here are my thoughts:

http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/dirt-rally-first-impressions-from-wrc.8997/

http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/dirt-rally-first-impressions-rwd.8998/

http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/dirt-rally-first-impressions-from-group-b.8999/

But it doesn't unless you are talking about RBR completely unmodified. You can pick the gravel tires and drive on tarmac perfectly fine. There were one or two minor typos / adjustment errors in (dry) tarmac tires. So I don't get your point. There is competition. There are RBR tarmac stages converted to rFactor and AC and I don't even see why I would drive them more than once in those sims, when the same stage is available in RBR.
I am talking about RBR out the box, as sadly I never got any of the cool looking mods to work correctly, thus I cannot comment on what may gone on in the mod scene, and like everything, this is just my opinion, everyone has one, I most certainly do not regard mine above anyone else's at all.

Anyway, fingers crossed changes come and developments push this already promising title along in the right direction, been a long while since I enjoyed played a Codies Racing game.

I am talking about RBR out the box, as sadly I never got any of the cool looking mods to work correctly, thus I cannot comment on what may gone on in the mod scene, and like everything, this is just my opinion, everyone has one, I most certainly do not regard mine above anyone else's at all.

Anyway, fingers crossed changes come and developments push this already promising title along in the right direction, been a long while since I enjoyed played a Codies Racing game.
I can agree with this :) . I still think wet tarmac is fine out of the box, at least compared to those "worthy competitors". The regular dry compound seems to use some data of slick tires (or at least compounds not used in rally events during the last years) which is not necessarily a good thing on public roads... hence you have real drivers with rally or even WRC experience saying it's not how those cars handle, but it's still quite realistic.

I spent several days sitting next to WRC driver Sebastien Chardonnet not long ago, he was giving us feedback to dial in the physics and handling etc for WRC5, which is my current project, getting his feedback on various surface grips was interesting, and also confirmed many of my core beliefs on how it should roughly be, I would also say what I wrote previously takes that into consideration, not perfect (what game is) but a damned fine effort to be starting the project with, it is probably a little frowned upon to comment on a competitors game, but I think there is room for more than one good rally game, and it is nice to play someone else's rendition quite honestly, and if that game also happens to have cult classic Historic Rally Cars in there, more the merrier, besides, strong competition only makes me want to double down and try even harder to make ours better :D

I spent several days sitting next to WRC driver Sebastien Chardonnet not long ago, he was giving us feedback to dial in the physics and handling etc for WRC5, which is my current project, getting his feedback on various surface grips was interesting, and also confirmed many of my core beliefs on how it should roughly be, I would also say what I wrote previously takes that into consideration, not perfect (what game is) but a damned fine effort to be starting the project with, it is probably a little frowned upon to comment on a competitors game, but I think there is room for more than one good rally game, and it is nice to play someone else's rendition quite honestly, and if that game also happens to have cult classic Historic Rally Cars in there, more the merrier, besides, strong competition only makes me want to double down and try even harder to make ours better :D

Nice approach to the competition. I like it

Missed a couple of gears on this run which sapped heaps of time, trying to be neat and tidy while attacking tho, good fun , running a H-Shift and Clutch no aids etc.

Replay/Track Cams start @ 7m 7secs approx....if you want to skip the onboard.

@Ole Marius Myrvold

You get the hold handbrake option if you go into preferences and select manual start launch sequence or something, i'm running full "sim" no aids mode, and yer your right, I was being very conservative on that run, I just finished uploading a run which is ten seconds faster in full attack mode :D

-----

Looks pretty hairy Stig :D, your cheating with 4wd tho mate :p

@Ole Marius Myrvold

You get the hold handbrake option if you go into preferences and select manual start launch sequence or something, i'm running full "sim" no aids mode, and yer your right, I was being very conservative on that run, I just finished uploading a run which is ten seconds faster in full attack mode :D

Aha! I haven't seen that option, I 'only' drive without aids, and with H-shifter + Clutch! ^^,

Just watching yours now mate, looks to me like your over driving it a touch :p proof is in the stage times tho right ?? I try not to get it too sideways so it doesn't bleed too much speed off ? Your having plenty of fun, I heard a couple of shift problems like I had as well ?

Just watching yours now mate, looks to me like your over driving it a touch :p proof is in the stage times tho right ?? I try not to get it too sideways so it doesn't bleed too much speed off ? Your having plenty of fun, I heard a couple of shift problems like I had as well ?

I am usually overdriving stuff a little bit! :) Not going to link to my RBR stages, but I have uploaded one snow and one Sweet Lamb stage, and they are very sideways, and on the limit :) When I'm able to keep the car on the road it is very fast. But it's a bit too risky for longer rallies.
Sideways might not be the most effective, but it tends to be the most fun! :)
And ye, some miss-shifts, but also it jumping out of gears a couple of times. Also stalled the engine one time :)

But, a bit more on topic, there is a good way to go before it is a sim.

It has the right ingredients for the beginnings tho, for me that is the most positive thing about this title, it is already fun, some careful and considered fettling will only make it better, showing tons of promise for the future of the genre :)

I need to spend some time on those Tarmac/Ice stages, I have not got my car working properly on that surface yet at all...the pure snow bits felt fun tho.

Yup, the base is there, and I know it is Early Access, but I've seen and had enough Early Access games that don't progress, so I'm treating this as a full game in that aspect :)

I try to drive that as little as possible, it's too good grip on the Monte Carlo stages for it to be that much fun.

However I guess I've soon played it enough to give a good judgement!

@Ole Marius Myrvold

-----

Looks pretty hairy Stig :D, your cheating with 4wd tho mate :p

To be honest I don't think they use launch control in MK2s ;)

RWD is brilliantly simulated in this game On gravel. Tweaking tires to low grip helps on tarmac. A bit too much traction othewise.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back