Is Classic Content Overlooked in Simracing?

• Deleted member 637371

When i read the title i instantly thought, meh modern cars for me...then i thought about how old this baby is and well i guess its not a baby anymore but a classic.

I drive this car more than any other car in any sim. (rF2 - You need a version of this... you got the E190 Mercedes but no BMW E30 to race against...come on please add it!).

*Edit: Imagine if rF2 released some new DTM'92 cars with the new laser scanned Nordschleife!?!?

Attachments

• E30 Evo Karussell.jpg
    E30 Evo Karussell.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't race very often in Classic Race cars as such, I do remember battling away with GPL many years ago but as mentioned in the article I found the cars too difficult at the time, although the feeling of putting together a decent lap was pretty good, even if it was just one lap! lol

Putting aside whether they are accurate or not, I have enjoyed racing in the classic content on Project Cars 2. The Classic Le Mans Pack was just beautiful addon and racing down the Mulsanne in the 917 at full chat was great fun. I don't own VR but I bet that pack was popular with VR owners.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Assetto Corsa and most of the best classic style content is for that sim. I can enjoy it but I'm just way off the pace in everything :rolleyes:

it seems that in my post I forgot AC for the historical content and I apologize to the many fans I hurt and even to the big boss himself!! forgive this omission, but I had to uninstall AC to make room for ACC.....:notworthy:

I actually like driving classic cars. The reason I don't get into them often or really care to see development time going into them is because I like to spend time with a car, learning it, tuning it, and racing it on various tracks and conditions. I can spend a week or two with one car, before moving on. But only modern cars can hold my interest that long--basically anything from the 90s forward. Go further back than that, and it's just a novelty to me. I drive it for a bit and smile, but I don't want to drive it for days, let alone weeks. For this reason, the current content offering of classics is just fine with me. Even classic F1 doesn't hold me, and I'm a huge fan of F1.

Speakign of GPL, speaking of Lotus 49, speaking of iRacing.........

Speaking of Lotus 49 in iRacing...

I think the car is horrible in iRacing, and I just don't believe it. They also has some modern tire on it... and it makes it even worse... I suppose because haven't tried their actual classic tire. Car is too fast, and it is nightmare at the same time. I would say it has great impact on the stereotype. It was the the main car I would have been used in iR. But it is also unpopular, not without a help of its horrible handling, I guess. Now it is long time since I drove it, will have to refresh memories some day, but afaik it felt like it would had unnaceptable levels of toe change with suspension travel combining with weird tire stuff.

I would be more than surprised if it is actually realistic.

iR is probably the most short of classics of all sims... maybe because they can not do them properly ? Maybe because it is unpopular ? Maybe because of both ?

One more thing. I don't think we have much control over terms easy vs difficult. And we can not describe car dynamics by easy/hard. I think realistic car is very easy, till it is hard when near the limit and very hard at the absolute peak of its performance, that makes sense. But not with some fundamental issues at medium loads... anyway, thats another insane topic to discuss.

Last edited:
Yeah i want more classics. Old school powerful, screaming death traps that need your full attention to just get around the track. At the limit you have to constantly catch slides, almost lose your teeth from the brutal shakes, wrestling the wheel to stay on track and be full of fear and joy when going down the straights at full speed.

Its funny cause i didnt like old schoolers at first. Thought they were too hard to drive and thus didnt get any joy from them. Now they give me the most driving pleasure of all. I was always like that though, into more complex stuff while my mates did the more mainstream things. When they played Super Mario i was reading a 700 page flight sim manual trying the whole day to take off from the runway, lol. When they played Battlefield i was into Operation Flashpoint running around confused and amazed on the large maps. :D That said im no pro with GT3 or modern formula. Especially modern formula 1 is so fast and precise that it feels like you have to drive it a very specific way instead of your own style like classics give a little more room for. Still love the new stuff though but i just have a very soft spot for classics and would want more of it. :)

The definition "classic content" is confusing.

Some call 90´s cars classic, while i personally refer to 60´s cars, and 90´s cars are modern in that regard.

So era-specific carsets is what would be best but also will divide the active drivers even more ;)

One sim, one Car, one track for all the best solution ?? LUL

The amount of replies shows there is interest on classic cars, however the concept of classic itself is rather wide... really huge. That's also a problem because there are literally thousands of different models, so it would be really hard to agree on what we would like to be included in the next classic-only simulator "classicFactor" or "Assetto Corsa Tradizionale". People would complain "no more Lotuses...", "more tourers from the 80s and fewer LMP from the 60s" and so on... :D

Ferrari F40.....*mic drop*
Same here. Road cars and vintage race cars are the ones that can put a smile on your face, whether it's wrestling a Ruf Yellowbird around the Nords at full turbo, or dancing on the limit between fast and dead in the F40 at LA Canyons, or writing thick stripes of rubber on the broken tarmac of Bridgehampton in a DRM car, or gently sliding around in the Lotus 25 at Silverstone 67 with its bicycle tires, or praying that the brakes are warm enough on your 917K while approaching Mulsanne corner..

Last edited:
Speaking of Lotus 49 in iRacing...
I think the car is horrible in iRacing, and I just don't believe it. They also has some modern tire on it... and it makes it even worse... I suppose because haven't tried their actual classic tire. Car is too fast, and it is nightmare at the same time.()
But it is also unpopular, not without a help of its horrible handling, I guess. Now it is long time since I drove it, will have to refresh memories some day, but afaik it felt like it would had unnaceptable levels of toe change with suspension travel combining with weird tire stuff.

I would be more than surprised if it is actually realistic.

iR is probably the most short of classics of all sims... maybe because they can not do them properly ?
Because of my memory of the L49 in GPL I rented this car in iRacing when it was introduced.
Worst car overall of my rented carpack when I was a member.:poop:

My personal guess why this car drives so badly in iRacing is that its because of the shortcommings in their tire model.
As I faintly remember it they introduced the car after a 1-2 year dev and hype period of this upcomming legend.
And even after introduction they made at least 2 overhaul/repair of the cars handling - but the car is still poo(IMO):roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

90% of my sim driving time is done driving classics (special care for the 60's). I like the very old stuff, and to me the challenge to tame and feel the car on dangerous tracks is way more entertaining than driving on rails on modern tracks, where mistakes are compensated by aero and stuff. Keeping momentum is key, and this (the finesse) is what I like the most in motorsports. Kind of an "organic feature" that only comes with the driver.
I basically only play modern content in MP, where is difficult to find historic content available.
As for more " modern" content, I lost interest in F1 after the turbo era. Everything modern seems a little meh to me, " more of the same" (not saying they are slow), but I agree that the modern cars are easier to drive and naturally attract a wider audience, being a better choice for a successful sim.
Anyway, all of this is coming to an end, old and modern. In a few years, all cars will be driving themselves and probably people will be prohibited to drive them by law, for safety reasons. Feel lucky being born in the 60's.

Yes, the L49 in Iracing has got to be the worst of their cars on the service.
If you compare it to the version in AC it’s a day-night-difference.
And I say that as a Iracing fan.

Warms my old mechanical ticker to see there are still people that love the old classic and vintage cars. I have felt for a long time that it was neglected and I was tired of the same GT3/Formula servers in Assetto Corsa. So about 1½ month ago I started a Vintage Appreciation Community on Discord. We only use vintage cars and vintage tracks at least when we can find one that fits. I have got to know so many new people that come to our servers and they love the cars. There are some that crash a lot and ragequit because they are not used to how these cars handle. But with patience and some good advice from the rest of us, they can all improve over time and really start to enjoy it. We have a trackday server, a race server and a member just created a hillclimb server also. People vote on the tracks and cars they would like to use in the next race. Everything goes as long as it's vintage :) Our races gets streamed to youtube and twitch with the bcast app, so it (tries) to autoswitch view to the action. If all this sounds like something you would enjoy and want to be a part of, come say hi on our discord and introduce yourself. Discord.me/VintageAC <- Our servers are named the same way so they are easy to find.
Unfortunately I can't race myself right now, as my wheel just broke and I won't get a replacement until next week. Sad face...
Cya on the track!

somebody here is also correctly identifying the other big problem with "classic" content. What is exactly classic? Some people call cars from the '60s classic, some call cars from the early 2000s classic. It is a HUGE range, when you talk about modern you know you are talking mostly about 3-4 popular series plus recent superacars... classic could be anything older than 10-15 years, that's like 70-80 years of motoring, it's literally like saying nothing.

Btw I'm ready to start working on the Beast of Turin - I think that fits the 'classic' category pretty well. Let me know once the funds are ready and I'll start it immediately :)

Ref images all ready to go:
QvrGhQm.png

XYy7X2P.jpg

Btw I'm ready to start working on the Beast of Turin - I think that fits the 'classic' category pretty well. Let me know once the funds are ready and I'll start it immediately :)

Ref images all ready to go:
QvrGhQm.png

XYy7X2P.jpg
Oh my! If you get the sound right I might have to drive it with my earplugs :D Grip will probably be in your dreams and who needs brakes any way! Will definitely do races in the Beast.

In my head pre 50's = vintage, 50's to 70's = classic and 80's to now = modern tat

I was born in 89 so maybe it is so I can think of myself as modern :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years