Is Classic Content Overlooked in Simracing?

Never forget AC Ferrari pool when modern F1 won after 512M, despite modern F1 from previous year already being in a game, and community effort in supporting 512M. That just shows how ridiculous it is about being in tune with this day, with whats popular..
The modern F1 Ferrari won against the 512M for the simple fact that many people playing AC were not born when that car was racing and are not interested in vintage cars, so they cannot relate to it. That is normal. And that also shows why it is NOT ridiculous to develop racing games that are popular, because if they are not popular you are not going to sell them.

Myself, I first bought AC for the Ferrari 458 Italia.

(Just to be clear: I would have loved the 512M, I think I made 1 or 2 laps with the SF70H and never touched it again ever since.)

Last edited:
GT3/GTE class being the most popular is misleading. Look at the most downloaded car in RD database in AC.

If you start to spy every player in the world... Sorry, but data don't lie. GT3 is super niche. No one care about it in NA.

I don't think it is very much as data. Back then there were some problems with downloads. Also update download did count, I think.

Tons players doesn't mess with mods, a lot of people are never searching anything, they just wants something what is already exposed, popular and relevant. But I think we are happy that we have that many enthusiasts, and hope is there. But also the fact that people that make no choices are pretty much focused on past few years of motorsport, while enthusiasts are interested in whole span of history of a car, and we want to race them all :D That makes it diffucult, I suppose, there is no concentration at one point for example sports cars of 1954, why not 1964 ? Maybe 1994 is already stone ages for some ?

The modern F1 Ferrari won against the 512M for the simple fact that many people playing AC were not born when that car was racing and are not interested in vintage cars, so they cannot relate to it. That is normal. And that also shows why it is NOT ridiculous to develop racing games that are popular, because if they are not popular you are not going to sell them.

Yeah thats obvious, and also not so obvious. It is ridiculous what happened there, but it is not ridiculous what is popular and why it popular, but the effect of it in that case.

I was not born in 80s was not born in 70s, was not born in 30s... it doesn't have any difference for me. I am interested in simulating vehicles, not simulating something that I saw in TV when I was 15. I saw Walter Rohl onboard on TV once though...

Last edited:
Just to be clear: I would have loved the 512M, I think I made 1 or 2 laps with the SF15-T and never touched it again ever since.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or was the 512M #2 in the voting? If so it suggests there's some support for that kind of car after all.

Also, let's keep in mind that the modern F1 won in no small part because someone let the F1 subreddit know about the vote, and a bunch of people who have no interest or stake in Assetto Corsa showed up to rep the tribe. Dunno if that swung the results, but it was a thing.

How many outthere have a motorcycle for 10000+ € and drive it 3 or 4 times a year? How many have a bike for 1000+€ and drive it one or two times a month? How many smoke cigarettes for 5, 6 or 7 € a day for nothing or spend their money in alcohol or partys?
Simracing is a hobby, and as a hobby i do it for my personal amusement, for my soul, for my nerves. You can't calculate that.

No but a Limited Company can calculate that and it equals nothing for them.
This isn't motorbikes that sells millions per year, or cigs that sell in the billions or anything else for that matter. That is a crooked comparison.
The only way you are getting content that isn't worth speculating on being able to earn a living from is the way it's being done now - through single enthusiast modders taking their spare time and their passion to make these things.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or was the 512M #2 in the voting? If so it suggests there's some support for that kind of car after all.

Also, let's keep in mind that the modern F1 won in no small part because someone let the F1 subreddit know about the vote, and a bunch of people who have no interest or stake in Assetto Corsa showed up to rep the tribe. Dunno if that swung the results, but it was a thing.
Damn, now I want the 512M! I actually voted for the 'bastard' 333 SP, that would have been a cool car too.

I think game developers can see which cars get more usage, and of course they have to make ends meet. At the same time they are fans of cars like us. Compromises, ah compromises!

Last edited:
Downloads hardly mean anything. There are lots of people collecting cars for fun, but who hardly use most of what they have in the garage.

There was also an issue with download managers a while back that massively inflated the numbers for some things here @ RD. I wouldn't rely on that for much insight.

I like to highlight parts of the text I find to be the most important with the use of bold.

Starting the post with a vague and forgettable quote is also my cup of tea.

Finally, I like to make use of a question mark on the post title, to try and convince people I want a varied and diverse discussion, when really I just like to complain about why the things i like the most aren't being catered to enough.

:p
So true, bold text should be used more often.

Historics is one of the best sim racing experiences. Hard to master but when you can drive these monsters well they give not only the joy of racing but also the pure joy of driving. To me anyway. Modern glued to the ground cars are fun to race but not as fun to drive.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say classic cars are harder to drive, if you focus on silly comparisons like historic F1 vs. modern GT3... the modern GT3 has so little power and aero that of course it's easy to drive, whereas something like Lotus 98T has over 1000 horsepower and aero that needs commitment cause it stalls under 140km/h, so a corner can be fine at 110 and 150 but nowhere in between.

Between modern GT3 and a <2.0L porsche though... I'll take the porsche (like this https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18267/lot/648/ )

Which is not true. Panky said after the vote ended, that the numbers were similar before the poll was posted on F1 reddit, even more in the favour of the modern f1 car.

Yeah, or 1000 laps with GT3 vs 10 laps with GT40. :D

In local league I am not very fast with GT3, and not very enthusiastic though. When we had an evening race with late 60s sports cars, I was doing pretty good :D

My poison at the moment is GT40 at LA Canyons in multiplayer. It is much faster than people think.. I like to scare the hell out of the poor guys on 911s :p.

Personally I love classic cars and GT Legends was truly awesome, we have to be thankful that sims today normally do include some classic cars, then of course we have the superb moder's that do at times give us a classic car.

Main problem of course, it is a niche market within an already niche market.

Last edited:
@kunos Which point are you disagreeing with... or both? :D

I dont agree on the point that the poll result was not representative of the AC user base. You guys should understand that the vast majority of users that buy racing games do not write here, reddit, FB and so on and often with opinions that are radically opposite to the ones that dedicated forums suggest as "popular". The result was obvious from the very first minutes, and, to be honest, totally obvious even before we started the poll.

but we are terribly OT, this doesn't really matter.

but we are terribly OT, this doesn't really matter.

Agreed. Thanks for the clarification, though. No sense storing bad information in the brain.

And yes, it was no surprise to most of us around here either that the modern F1 would win, myself included. I vaguely remember posting something to that effect at the time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%