Is AC > CPU or GPU intensive ??

Hi all

I’ve heard conflicting stories / theories that AC is either CPU or GPU dependant.

I know it depends on the hardware / graphics settings / track / cars / etc

GPU usually isnt the limiting factor. All physics are calculated at one core of the CPU, so you're CPU needs a pretty high Singlecoreperformance. The more cars the more calculations need to be done at this single core. :)

Reactions: C.Y
I agree CPU is usually doing the most work in a full field of cars. Most modern GPU's can handle the pretty graphics. Shadows seem to have the biggest influence on GPU's and # of other objects seem to have the biggest influence on CPUs.

So given I have a R5 1600 (1070 GPU on 1080p triples)

it would either make sense to get a 3300x or race less AI cars

I have read up that a i7700k is the best option but then I gotta fork out for another mobo ... any other suggestions ?? I can get a 3700x for around $350aud 2nd hand ?

I don't have experience with triple monitors so I don't know if that is a factor. I would certainly turn down the shadows and reflections first. By changing the number of AI cars, I think you'll find out if your CPU is ok. It's always hard to tell.
As a reference, I have an older i5 3500 and a GTX 1660 (6G) and recently upgraded to 32G of RAM (but was ok with 16G). AC runs fine for me on all ultra settings. If I put mirror reflections on medium then I am getting over 100 FPS with about 15 cars.
I tried to run ACC and no matter what I do (turning graphics down to minimum) as soon as I load up more than 5 cars, my game becomes a slide show, so I can't play ACC.

No clue what you guys are doing. :whistling:
I'm running an olderish 1231v3 with GTX1070, and I have no problem reaching 60FPS in ACC, with details set medium to high, and "visible cars" (not sure what's the correct setting ingame, and I currently not at home) reduced to eight. The only problem is Nurbs, where I have a lot of framedrops too.

AC I'm able to set 34 other cars on the grid at the Nords, with occasional, very occasional CPU warnings. And the R5 1600 has pretty the same singlecore performance as my 1231v3.

My GPU is always running at 50-70%, while locked at 75FPS at FullHD, disabled ExtraFX though, which is very heavy. To run a triple system you'll have to reduce graphics a lot, even if you'd upgrade to a newer CPU. Could you plz check your video settings in CM for me? Afair the rendering frequency of the reflections is set to six faces per frame stock. Not really sure, its been a while since I made changes there. But one face per frame is sufficient, and this should boost your FPS rate. Give it a shot. :O_o:

If I would have to decide between a 7700K and a 3700x, I'd personally take the 3700x. Both singlecore and multicore performance are higher

Sadly I don’t in CM ... I’ve gotta download it ... just haven’t gotten around to it.

I average about 114 on the sets benchmark test on ultra (qlt 5).

when I race spa with 24 cars it goes from 90-110 and around 60ish at Bathurst with a full grid.

there was a setting that kept on making everything slower (lagging) ... as in i would make a steering / pedal input and thecar would just spin out. I dunno which setting it was but I turned it off and it now behaves better (driveable)

I’m on the hunt for a 3300x (which is proving to be hard) but if I don’t come across one I’ll just live with what I havefor the time being.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%