Is a GTX 1660 Ti any good for VR racing

On my 2nd pc I have a rx 570 gpu overclocked, and runs VR ok (ish)
would an upgrade to a GTX1660 Ti be worth it?
has anyone used a 1660 Ti for vr and was it better than ok (ish)

I run my Rift CV1 off a 1070 and i7-6700k. It does fine. Would a Rift S...IDK, I suspect I would start seeing frame rate issues. The 1660 Ti seems to bench out at about the same or just a shade behind the 1070. I can run 90 frames pretty consistently in PC2 and iRacing - but I've not tried pushing the limits hard. I would call the 1070 OK/Good. That said, the 1070 seems to be a decent step up from the Rx 570... $300 bucks worth of up... idk. I personally would probably look at saving a bit more and going bigger assuming the CPU is worthy.

I have NOT used a 1660 Ti, but it is mostly comparable with the 1070. So take my opinion as speculation...

Upvote 0
I do have a 1070 with a ryzen 2700x and I am running with everything at low settings (AC) with a CV1. In online races I usually race @45fps, with some crowded occasions falling even lower. I'd say that 1660ti/1070 is the absolute minimum to enter VR for online racing.
Generic VR gaming is another story..

Upvote 0
Take this for what it is because I dont even have a VR kit.:)
But my guess is that the way iRacing have optimized the ressource impact by VR does give a too optimistic picture if you transfer iRacing fps to other games?
I mean as example iRacings SPS (Single Pass Stereo) rendering does as I know help a lot compared to others.

Upvote 0
I got a i5 9600kf @ 5.1ghz and gtx 1660ti/ Lenovo explorer and I am more than impressed with it's performance for the price.
I play iracing with Max settings and 120% SS in steam 90fps on all tracks with 30 ai.

Personal opinion...wish it had 8gbs ram and would probably wait for the Nvidia 3000 series launching late spring/summer.
Rumour has it they are supposed to be a bit cheaper, but I'll believe it when I see it. Even if there not it should lower the prices on the rtx series cards.

Upvote 0
Last year I bought a refurbished 1070Ti and a Rift S to use with my old 2012 i7, oc'd to 5Ghz.
PC2 runs excellently, and AC is mostly good with CM/Sol.
AC just doesn't seem to be as polished but hell, I'm using many 3rd party tracks/cars that probably aren't optimised very well.

Anyway, that card is alright for most things, however I'm waiting to see what the 3000 series brings as I'd like to update the whole system at some point !

I know it's not the same card you're looking at but it might help in your research :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I got a i5 9600kf @ 5.1ghz and gtx 1660ti/ Lenovo explorer and I am more than impressed with it's performance for the price.
I play iracing with Max settings and 120% SS in steam 90fps on all tracks with 30 ai.

Personal opinion...wish it had 8gbs ram and would probably wait for the Nvidia 3000 series launching late spring/summer.
Rumour has it they are supposed to be a bit cheaper, but I'll believe it when I see it. Even if there not it should lower the prices on the rtx series cards.

I have an i7-7700 (not overclocked), gtx 1660ti and Samsung Odyssey+. According to FPSVR, I usually don't get more than 45 FPS, but I suspect that maybe due to my ignorance about tweaking VR settings.

Although I'm satisfied with that performance, I'd love to increase the FPS. You said that you "... play iracing with Max settings and 120% SS in steam 90fps on all tracks with 30 ai." Could you share all of he VR settings that you use to achieve this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have an i7-7700 (not overclocked), gtx 1660ti and Samsung Odyssey+. According to FPSVR, I usually don't get more than 45 FPS, but I suspect that maybe due to my ignorance about tweaking VR settings.

Although I'm satisfied with that performance, I'd love to increase the FPS. You said that you "... play iracing with Max settings and 120% SS in steam 90fps on all tracks with 30 ai." Could you share all of he VR settings that you use to achieve this?

Thanks!

I am no computer wiz just so you know :)
I just followed the VR guides on iracing.
The single factor performance booster is having a good over overclockable CPU...you wanna try for 4.5ghz as a base...over 5 GHz and your pretty much golden to run everything on high as iracing is single core dependant.

My settings
Nvidia control panel everything stock except the following
AA transparency - multisampling
Power mode- maximum performance
Texture filtering - high quality
Virtual reality pre rendered frames - 2

Iracing settings
SPS enabled
All settings in the left colum- high
Particles full res checked
Max cars 30
Antiscoptic filtering x16
AA x4
Render dynamic track - check
Render dynamic track tire - check
Shadow maps on track and cars
Night shadow maps only check walls and headlights
Number of lights 3
Pcf4 filter
Shader quality high detail
Custom
Show driver arms
Two tree pass check
Cockpit mirrors max 4
Headlights low
Headlights on track in mirrors check
2048x2048 car textures check
I would suggest using sharpening aswell, tho I am currently not and experimenting with high SS as I find it has far less jaggies and shimmering with my setup.
If I didn't list a setting it's off.
Hope that helps
Barcelona is a problematic track, I'd suggest turning off tire data and lower cockpit mirrors and turn grandstands to low.
Hopefully they will optimize that track soon....also turn off any unnecessary background apps.

Cheers

David

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back