Is 2017 Verstappen's Year?

I wrote it earlier in another topic: In the Dutch junior leagues they don't use rain tires when racing in karts even when it rains. Therefore the kids (5-10 years or so) have to learn where the grip is on a damp track. How to drive the lines. That is how Max learned how to race in the rain.

I wrote it earlier in another topic: In the Dutch junior leagues they don't use rain tires when racing in karts even when it rains. Therefore the kids (5-10 years or so) have to learn where the grip is on a damp track. How to drive the lines. That is how Max learned how to race in the rain.
That's actually really interesting. Might be something other countries/karting series should look into (idk if that's standard elsewhere or not...)

May be thats true in Germany also Erwin after all Michael Schumacher was the rain meister and also was the expert at setting up the car with oversteer. It would be interesting to know if Vestappen has similar skills.

In his first three years competing, Max won 59 of 60 races. The record would have been perfect had the kart not failed. After a debut season in Formula Three in which he won 10 races, Verstappen was rapidly promoted to the pinnacle of motorsport F1.

I love F1 as if it was my kid. I care for it. Having said that it was normal for me and i believe anyone else too that when it was said that Max was joining F1 we were all pessimistic about it and what image that would make for F1 racing in general.

I wasn't really in favor of that decision as well BUT seeing his previous racing in the lower categories he had any right to be in F1. He was ruthless he was very very smart and he knows how to race people EVEN IF HE IS NOT FASTER than them.

I was fan of Schumi then fan of Vettel and Vettel for me was the only one who i'd loved to see to break Schumi's records. Vettel pushed them one by one and now comes Verstappen and it's so so young, i am almost but jealous, to the point i disliked him a lot last year. And there were moments where i cursed him. Such as the Mexican GP. But you need to be true to yourself. After all i know i have said about him i could say that that kid was F brilliant! He is so so smart. What he did in Spa, that was awesome. He knew exactly where he was and what he was doing, and what he said afterwards...pretty smart either!

Mexican GP, he was racing hard. He was very selfish. That's what champions are made off. Brazil? I don't have to comment that one. Brilliant!

HOWEVER through all of this, he is not faster than Ricciardo.

I have writen a bit more thorough but 2017 is far from being Verstappens year.

With the new regulations changing and the cars harder to drive than ever before and the G's and speed rising to a level he has never witnessed and experienced before, unlike Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso(who wont fight for it after all) Masa, and to some extent (wow almost whole grid is younger than 2008) Bottas Ricciardo etc have all witnessed faster cars. So he will have very hard time this year i am sure.

With the new regulations changing and the cars harder to drive than ever before and the G's and speed rising to a level he has never witnessed and experienced before, unlike Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso(who wont fight for it after all) Masa, and to some extent (wow almost whole grid is younger than 2008) Bottas Ricciardo etc have all witnessed faster cars. So he will have very hard time this year i am sure.

So just because the cars move 40km/h faster trough corners and generate 1-2 g's more you would think he would struggle?:D:D

He claimed the biggest step he made was going from karting straight in F3 euro series, and he was right up there from day one just as he did with any other step he made after that. Lets have this discussion again by the end of this year.:rolleyes:

So just because the cars move 40km/h faster trough corners and generate 1-2 g's more you would think he would struggle?:D:D

He claimed the biggest step he made was going from karting straight in F3 euro series, and he was right up there from day one just as he did with any other step he made after that. Lets have this discussion again by the end of this year.:rolleyes:

Although you have very fair point with his previous endeavors, which is not something that he has done only, many others made that jump, but F3 is F3 and F1 is whole different world. What he experienced and tried out last year has nothing to do with what will be like this year.

40kmh through corners with 1-2G's more which is a lot, is quite big difference. There are limits he has yet to discover. But i dont believe it will take long before he does that. But certainly first he will struggle a bit.

Look at Stroll. And like Hamilton said, it will probably separete the man from the kids. But Max is crazy enough :)

Actually, the point about some drivers initially struggling with 2-hour races (particularly the young lads) is a very valid one.
Here is what a certain Nico Rosberg has to say:

Formula 1 drivers will be "gladiators" this year as a result of rule changes that have made the cars faster, says world champion Nico Rosberg.
"The cars are going to take them to their physical limits," said Rosberg, who retired after his world title win.
"We might even see drivers losing race wins because of just being physically knackered, and that is the direction the sport should be in."
He added: "These cars are absolute monsters. It is such an awesome hype."
F1 has introduced new rules this season aimed at making the cars faster, more demanding and more dramatic-looking.

Shall wait and see. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some drivers struggle for the first few races, given that these are some of the fastest cars ever in F1. I know it used to be common for drivers to get neck issues from the forces, affecting their races. They'll all have traps like dwayne johnson in no time :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back