Ironbark Hills

Tracks Ironbark Hills 0.6.5b

Login or Register an account to download this content
@Norman Leslie @NightEye87 Thanks so much for your input guys, I had started work on some of those files, but hadn't quite got them finished. I had a basic GrassFX file, but yours is pretty perfect NightEye.
If I want the grass to be a bit longer and unkept over the fences, I can add a second entry and tell it to use that material right?
I don't run SOL, so thanks for the RainFX file, something I'd probably never would have thought of... :D

I had a quick look at seeing if Content Manager could generate anything for me, map etc, as I had read bits and pieces about how it could, but couldn't find it anywhere, guessing I need the full version?

Pretty cool seeing my track for the first time from the replay cameras. haha, Little bit exciting.

I assume you guys don't mind if I include your files in the download?

Huge improvements over the pervious version - keep at it!
GrassFX and RainFX configs would be good additions, there are plenty of people who can help with these if you're unsure.
Looking forward to seeing more raceday environmental furniture added (pit buildings, grandstands/bleachers, marshals, distance markers, billboards etc) assuming these are on the list. It's got the potential to be a really good race circuit.
Oh, I can't seem to generate a ghost when hotlapping for some reason?
Thanks Mascot, yeah, I've tried hard to make it a big improvement, and trying my best with the tools I have. ;)
I went back and did a few laps of my previous 0.5 release... and yeah, wow, what was I thinking, haha, not that 0.6 is perfect, but yeah... :D :D

I do have plans for adding in all the track day stuff to build up the environment and atmosphere.
I did have quite a lot of that stuff in there a couple of private builds back, but turfed them out because their texture setup structure etc annoyed me, a bit like the current trees... so will do what I can to fix all these as time permits.

Glad you guys enjoy the circuit!

Anybody picked up any issues with track/tarmac itself? Surface, kerbs, bumps etc?

Last edited:
@millen I took the liberty to strip the trees out of the track and apply the techniques shown in the excellent guide over here:

I didn't change any textures or shader settings other than to ksTree. They work in the wind, look better and the normals are set etc. I think you need to use some new textures for the trees though, a lot of them don't look too good (to me) but maybe that is what you meant by vegetation as a placeholder, shrubs/bushes AND trees? Feel free to chop and change and so on or completely ignore me, no offence taken!

You will need to strip out the trees from the track if you do find this useful, model.ini file included.

(I know it's only a small piece of work and not perfect but if you do use it then please don't credit me, not necessary at all)

Last edited:
Loved the work! Just waiting for this track to have ai so I can be able to create some Camtool sets!
Hi Hauff, thanks for trying the track.
Nighteye posted a quick AI line few posts back if you'd like to have a look at that.

I'm a bit busy this weekend, but will incorporate all the awesome work the people in this thread have contributed into a new update in the next few days.
Thanks for the time and effort chaps.

Will also have a few track fixes and updates too that I've already completed.

Last edited:
If I want the grass to be a bit longer and unkept over the fences, I can add a second entry and tell it to use that material right?
I don't run SOL, so thanks for the RainFX file, something I'd probably never would have thought of... :D

I had a quick look at seeing if Content Manager could generate anything for me, map etc, as I had read bits and pieces about how it could, but couldn't find it anywhere, guessing I need the full version?

I assume you guys don't mind if I include your files in the download?
You can add as many configurations of grass as you like, but I think you.need to have your outer grass have a different mesh or material. As it's all one piece there is no way of telling CM to use a certain type of grass anywhere.

To be able to create a track map from CM and view any track details you need the full version. But it's basically free and well worth it.
Mind you, it uses the surfaces to exctract bits of road, and your off-track service roads are called ROAD aswell. Hence the cleanup to remove them. In the end that might affect performance too, especially with AI, because the game reads that as track while you can't actually drive there (you could, but it might be closed off at some point?).

And sure, use whatever you want :)
Looking forward to the next update!

In my opinion the track is a little too wide, but that could be taste
I like wide tracks. More clean overtaking opportunities, more line variation possible, less race-ending punishment for minor mistakes, bigger choice of useable cars.
Keep narrow roads for hill climbs I say.

Last edited:
Probably due to the lack of an AI line.

I already did some work on this, millen probably hasn't seen it yet but I don't think he'd mind me posting it here:

Includes quick jobs on: map, bad AI line (simply to make cameras working), camera set, GrassFX and RainFX.

Nice that you did the ai lines but my first attempt and this happened in the middle of a straight to the ai. I'm sure you guys will work on improvements.

Screenshot_13.jpg

Hey guys, should have a bit of an update in the next few days hopefully.
I think I've solved the framerate and performance drops. Trees, grass and bushes are now grouped and LODed correctly I think, and it seems to have solved any framerate issues in testing so far. KSTREE shader is now fixed as well as a consequence.

Terrain mesh and vegetation mesh placement has been optimised, and I've stripped out some trees in preperation of the new tree models that I will hopefully create. having been playing around in Blender, slowly getting somewhere...

Have tweaked some of the GrassFX settings and I'm liking the look so far, now just tweaking some of the trackside meshes to better suit this new setup.

New tree textures have been created, as well as a couple of tweaks to ground and surface masks/textures.

Have played around with AI line recording, and next update should have a useable AI line for some races.

Will include the cam files and other awesome stuff you guys have supplied for the track in next update too.

Hopefully wont be as a long a wait as the last update! :D

OK, so I have a new fast lane recorded, and it all seems to work really well, except turn 1. They cut the corner too hard and hit the inside wall... I haven't investigated it too much as I am rushing out the door, but can I fix that up in the KS editor and move the line slightly over?
or is that defined by the 'side' files?
I've used the files from @kevink63 AI upload and just re-recorded the fast_line, as there was a few corners where the AI slowed down too much,...
AI for Ironbark Hills | RaceDepartment

My new recording seems to have fixed all that except for my turn 1 issues. :p

but can I fix that up in the KS editor and move the line slightly over?
or is that defined by the 'side' files?
Make sure you hold Shift when loading the track so it loads the correct sidelines. Then record the new line (although I don't think it's nessecary).
Because it looks fine here (after holding shift, the "basic" sidelines are behind the concrete wall, so AI thinks it can use it :p ):
ironbanksAI.png

There's a bug when using CSP that the side lines don't save correctly.
From here on afterwards:

Last edited:
millen updated Ironbark Hills with a new update entry:

Ironbark Hills 0.6.5 - the little things

Just a little update.

- Trees and Vegetation properly LODed and named/grouped. Should help your framerates and performance. Have started to replace some trees with a new tree model and textures, so excuse the variation in looks.

- Track map now included, thanks to @NightEye87

- GrassFX now included. Based on orignal supplied by @NightEye87, but I dived in and worked out how to tweak it to my liking. Still a bit of work to do...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I like wide tracks. More clean overtaking opportunities, more line variation possible, less race-ending punishment for minor mistakes, bigger choice of useable cars.
Keep narrow roads for hill climbs I say.

I think it should just be correct, whatever the correct width is. Could also add a fantasy wider layout for the folks who like it wider if the track doesn't exist anymore (cannot find much about it anyhow).

Anyway, haven't tried this, just downloaded, will give it a go soon!

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years