iRacing Videos

Thanks guys, really enjoyed that battle. Question for you guys...I had a comment suggesting i was htting the limiter too much but for me it seems faster to rag the MX5. Where is the optimal rev range in rev lights to change gear?

Yeah for me when it comes to shifting in the MX-5, it all depends on feel for me. On the uphill sections at Road Atlanta I will hit the first or second red rev light as I feel shifting too early can bog down the car imo. Other parts I'll shift a tad early. But that's just me. :)

It seems fine to me.
The only thing is that you seem to use autoclutch and don't release the gas when you shift. Therefore you always touch the rev everytime you shifts. Other than that, it seemed perfectly fine to me :)

PS: on a track like RoadAtlanta, you probably loose .5s just because you use autoclutch... Try without, it's not necessary to have it, even without a clutch. Just shift at the right time. Downshift is easier.

Thanks Flavien, i did not realise there was such a drastic difference in lap times with the auto clutch in iRacing. I use my G25 clutch as a throttle and have a nixim modded brake so clutch is unavaiable. I will put some laps in how you suggested though. So you say to map the clutch to a wheel button and just shift at the correct time and all should be good?

Would like to get into the 41's there aswell as my best so far was a 42:1 in that race above and was averging them consistently.

LEt me try quickly and I ll see if it's doable... I only use H-shifter and H&T, but that is how I drive the skippy, so the MX5 should not be much different...

EDIT: well... my bad, the skippy and the MX5 arent the same :(
You need the clutch.. sorry about the false hopes...
But yeah, yo udefinitly loose time with autoclutch...

Ah bummer, oh well. I will try that with the skippy though as i'm sure that could help. I may just open my pedals up you know and rearrange the pedals so the clutch can be used. Not enough time today but i will do it in prep for the league. But i prefer the resistence the cluch offers as a throttle but would rather have faster times.

I'm used to rFactor where the auto clutch is not so drastic to lap times, so i figured this would be the same. Thanks mate

So... anyone want to critique me? Though I caught quite a bit of my mistakes, constructive feedback is still highly appreciated. My best lap time so far is 1:50.534, so I really need help.

Feel free to mute the audio if you don't like my choice of music.

Yep, like Hampus said it's kind of hard to tell you anything without the engine noise...
As far I can see just like that, I'd say your apex need some work, and you are globally too slow becasue of that... Maybe not pushing enough... But without the engine noise... ;)

I usually drive the Roadster, so i checked out my times i had of the Cup and Roadster on Laguna Seca.

1.44.404 in Race for the Roadster

And

1:42.999 in Race for the Cup version

So your 1.50 pretty much says it all.

You haven´t practiced enough, it took me two seconds to find this out starting with the last turn and out on your fastest lap.

Last turn before straight: Well i say you took that corner at about 25% of what´s possible. You basically glide through the turn, upshifted very lazy, got on the gas even lazier,

Turn 1: You should be able to get on the brakes when you are on top one of the white lines. You braked several meters before that, then glided down to the turn and here is where i stopped watching :D

Do 50 laps and come back to us m8. This is probably as contructive as i can be so practice, practice and practice, then show us your improvement ;)

Do 50 laps and come back to us m8. This is probably as contructive as i can be so practice, practice and practice, then show us your improvement ;)
And constructive it is. I know my skills, and I'll take any criticisms thrown at me, because at the end of the day my goal is to be better with practice and tons of it.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong." That's what I go by.

Thanks for the quick but straight-up replies. I actually plan on doing at least 20 consistent laps a day, seeing I have tons of free time until next week.

John, when practicing I always use the TAB key to show me the delta. Gives me an understanding of where I am losing speed and why after a few laps. Try to hit the apex of every turn even if you might think you are slower doing that. Good driving though.

Yeah i have found the same coming from rFactor where it's pretty easy to lap fast. Thing with iRacing is you think your quick then you see others times and reality hits you. I think the phrase practise makes perfect suits iRacing perfectly, same goes with NetKar which i rate up there with iRacing. It's easy enough to lap fast but as soon as you start psuhing harder thats when it hits you.

It has a steep learning curve to drive on the edge but in the end as with all sims it will come to you ( That's what i keep telling myself anyway :wink: ) But i have made a decision now that my time is 100% focussed on iRacing and also NetKar as NetKar just has something over me and always will, such a special sim and so underated.

John, when practicing I always use the TAB key to show me the delta. Gives me an understanding of where I am losing speed and why after a few laps. Try to hit the apex of every turn even if you might think you are slower doing that. Good driving though.
Ehh, I really don't use the delta right now because I'm still working on consistency. When I could do 50 laps without incident, I'll start working on speed.

And constructive it is. I know my skills, and I'll take any criticisms thrown at me, because at the end of the day my goal is to be better with practice and tons of it.

"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong." That's what I go by.

Thanks for the quick but straight-up replies. I actually plan on doing at least 20 consistent laps a day, seeing I have tons of free time until next week.

Great :D

And yes my replies are honest and straight up but that does not mean i´m being rude even though it might sound like that sometimes.

I will try to get better and really go through the details of what you can improve upon. See ya after a couple of days then m8!

Wonder if Kevin or anyone can give me some tips on where i'm going wrong here. Have an optimal of 41:2 as seen in the vid and am coming off the throttle now when shifting which seems to have improved my time.

I can help you tomorrow when i wake up ya like. It´s a bit late here but if nobody has helped you till i wake up i will try to study it as best i can.

I´m not as quick as Kevin but 0.2/0.3 of his best in that session after my first time with the mazda on that track is good enough for me :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back