iRacing to Add Barcelona Grand Prix Track in Future

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Barcelona Coming to iRacing.jpg

iRacing have been seen performing laser scan duties at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya recently - seemingly confirming another new track is on the way for the sim.

Although based in Bedford, MA and having a very strong focus on the North American racing scene, the iRacing online racing simulation also has a very fair offering of European car and circuit content for their members to enjoy, and according to a very recent tweet from the team, it looks like the Barcelona Grand Prix circuit is in the pipeline to join the sim sometime in the near future.

Set to host the traditional Formula One pre-season testing schedule from February 18th, and home to the Spanish Grand Prix for a number of years now, the Barcelona circuit is a more traditional European racing venue, tough on cars and very technical in places, it should make for a very nice inclusion in the simulation as and when it becomes available to purchase.

Now, before you get too excited I might have to dampen the enthusiasm somewhat - don't expect this track to be appearing in the iRacing store anytime soon - according to the Twitter post of earlier today, laserscanning of the Spanish venue is still taking place at the moment.. so plenty of time to go before a sale worthy version of the track can be recreated and made available within the sim.

With another Formula One grade venue set to be added, are you excited to see the addition of Barcelona, and what other tracks would you like to see coming to iRacing in future?

Viva Española!

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

For Japanese tracks, which are more than fairly covered by GT Sport (IMO)...

HA! GT Sport doesn't even cover Japan the way you'd think they should! Every Japanese circuit was on a previous GT and can easily be found in other sims. Still no Autopolis, Okayama, or even Motegi, but enough "Tokyo Expressway" to make Wangan Midnight blush!

I hate you Kaz.

I think I read a while back that they are working on new silverstone.
I really really hope that they will keep the possibility to use both their today SilverstoneGP AND their Silverstone Historic layout beside the new one.
Because these 2 layouts is only possible to find in iRacing.:whistling:
Hehe and personally I find the flow on specially the Historic version far far better than the awkward modern SilverstoneGP that is to find in as example Raceroom.
If you want to see 1 lap with with good old Lotus 79 on the classic historic Silverstone then check this:

• Deleted member 205301

I really really hope that they will keep the possibility to use both their today SilverstoneGP AND their Silverstone Historic layout beside the new one.

As usually, they'll keep the "old Silverstone" as a free track ;)
PS : this L79 video reminds me so much memories.... did 5 or 6 season on the CTC (classic team championship : Lotus 79 with classics teams liveries)
...But the post is about Barcelona^^ ...I have to notice that there is NO official anouncement, this news is not "official"...hope we won't be disapointed...
@++

...But the post is about Barcelona^^
Sorry my fault. Hehe I was caried a bit away when people began talking about a new Silverstone:sleep:
PS : this L79 video reminds me so much memories.... did 5 or 6 season on the CTC (classic team championship : Lotus 79 with classics teams liveries)
Same here. Those were the days.
Hehe eventhough the paintscemes should be from the historic times I was allowed to run a painting of the blue "Williams FW15C CVT Test Car" that is today resting somewhere in Holland on a Van Dorne Museum:O_o:

And 7.99 a month to rent, err whoot?
That will be 19 dollars and 99 cents, please... :roflmao:

Typical non iracer response only seeing the cost.

For the majority of iracers, new content with all the available racing credits iRacing gives out may cost less than a Starbucks coffee ;)

Laser scanned Barcelona GP $14.95
Apply my $10 credit I received for racing last season + my 20% off content discount = $3.95!

Subscription $110
Receive up to $45 in participation credits a yr + 30-50% off Black Friday deal = $10-30 a yr for a yearly subscription.
$30 / 12= $2.50 a month..... easily justified knowing I am getting the best multi player racing experience available, one of the most populated titles with hourly races and the private forms which keeps alot of the stupidity and spam out :)

Typical non iracer response only seeing the cost.

For the majority of iracers, new content with all the available racing credits iRacing gives out may cost less than a Starbucks coffee ;)

Laser scanned Barcelona GP $14.95
Apply my $10 credit I received for racing last season + my 20% off content discount = $3.95!

Subscription $110
Receive up to $45 in participation credits a yr + 30-50% off Black Friday deal = $10-30 a yr for a yearly subscription.
$30 / 12= $2.50 a month..... easily justified knowing I am getting the best multi player racing experience available, one of the most populated titles with hourly races and the private forms which keeps alot of the stupidity and spam out :)
Whilst not on bar with iRacing in terms of content choice, SRS for RRE and AC is a good FREE alternative

This kind of calculation is a good example of "a calculation where the end result is a foregone conclusion".
Normally its not considered the absolutely most reasonable way of proof.
Just saying:whistling:
it's not far off, though. the last year iRacing was still offering a "two years for one" Black Friday deal, I actually raced the whole next year for free - as calculated within their closed system, of course - because only one of the new items appealed to me and all my other "savings" over the year went into the basic subscription.
That said, the first two years you are liable to spend around 700 Euros a year to get you started, after year four it tends to even out at the amount mentioned above, 30 to 50 Euros a year, at least for me.

That said, the first two years you are liable to spend around 700 Euros a year to get you started, after year four it tends to even out at the amount mentioned above, 30 to 50 Euros a year, at least for me.
OK your description which include the the extra 700€ for the first 4 years and a higher anual subscription fee sounds more realistic.
I have to say that I aborted my 5+ years membership about 1 year ago and therefore know a few things about the cost.
Hehe I cant help laughing when I from time to time see a very low calculation of of the cost of iRacing - and then in another context does experience that the same person (often) use the slightly patronizing saying that "iRacing is not for everyone".:whistling::whistling:

didn't I say two years? :whistling::whistling::whistling:
Yeah rereading your post I suddenly see you say €700 a year the first 4 years.
Hehe you cannot say that Im twisting your words to my own advantage.;)
Because you can clearly see that I thought that you ment €700 in all for the first 4 years.
Beside the monthly subscription ofcourse.

If you literally mean you have spend €700 a year the first 4 years - then its way more than I did spend in total for my about 5½ years.
I mean €700 x 4 is a lot of money.:rolleyes:
I was mainly driving the Lotus 79 and the Nissan GTP but did never rent the complete track package for the 2 series of these cars.
I was always missing a few tracks.:x3:
Hehe that was also the reason it was a lot easier for me to completely abort iRacing - because I had not "invested" so much(as you).:thumbsup:

use the slightly patronizing saying that "iRacing is not for everyone".:whistling::whistling:

Patronizing :O_o:

It's a truthful fact!
Iracing isin't for everyone for many reasons.
Cost, currently mp only, no ai, missing features or content that other titles may have etc.

When a non iracer asks me about the game, I rarely give them my opinion and start by asking them what they are looking for out of the title.
If there needs don't really match up with iracing I suggest other titles that will

We all know it costs more, but many non iracers are not aware that the overall pricing can be reduced via subscription sales, credit sales and grouping content.
That's all I was trying to point out with my posts :)

I know guys who have bought every piece of content in the first yr spending thousands and I've also known guys that have been around for yrs using the base content and only buy a discounted subscription each yr.

How you calculate your cost in game will vary with every user.

My advice for fellow sim racers.....
Instead of complaining on forms about games you don't play, go enjoy the ones you do.
It's a very small niche market, no need to make it smaller ;)

Last edited:
to spell it out: about 700 euros year 1 and 2, considerably less year 3 and 4 nothing at all year 5 and about 30 to 50 euros each year following. i rented about 65% of content i'd say: each and every road track, every roval and many ovals, none dirt track other than the base content. many road cars, few oval cars, only the base dirt cars.

@Eckhart
Taken from your description of your rented content it looks like your strategy and disinterest is/was quite the same as me.
The difference is mainly that you have payed for a lot more extra tracks and (probably) extra cars than me.
To end this exchange of personal interests I can add that if iRacing was able to create a reasonable(IMO) tire model I would probably consider to revert to this virtual car hire service.:rolleyes:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 115 13.5%