iRacing to Add Barcelona Grand Prix Track in Future

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Barcelona Coming to iRacing.jpg

iRacing have been seen performing laser scan duties at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya recently - seemingly confirming another new track is on the way for the sim.

Although based in Bedford, MA and having a very strong focus on the North American racing scene, the iRacing online racing simulation also has a very fair offering of European car and circuit content for their members to enjoy, and according to a very recent tweet from the team, it looks like the Barcelona Grand Prix circuit is in the pipeline to join the sim sometime in the near future.

Set to host the traditional Formula One pre-season testing schedule from February 18th, and home to the Spanish Grand Prix for a number of years now, the Barcelona circuit is a more traditional European racing venue, tough on cars and very technical in places, it should make for a very nice inclusion in the simulation as and when it becomes available to purchase.

Now, before you get too excited I might have to dampen the enthusiasm somewhat - don't expect this track to be appearing in the iRacing store anytime soon - according to the Twitter post of earlier today, laserscanning of the Spanish venue is still taking place at the moment.. so plenty of time to go before a sale worthy version of the track can be recreated and made available within the sim.

With another Formula One grade venue set to be added, are you excited to see the addition of Barcelona, and what other tracks would you like to see coming to iRacing in future?

Viva Española!

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

• Deleted member 205301

That's a great news !
I know barcelona isn't very popular, but for me it's a "must have" (like Nurb GP).
Spanish community on iracing is really big (maybe too much would says some guys...), so it's "logical" to have a spanish track, much more than so many Japanesestracks (tsukuba is fun, but really not interesting).
As all the guys, I'm still waiting (and complaining) for an updated' Silverstone (thats just unbelievable), but it's not the time yet. Yet is time to thanks iracing to bring the barcelona track, I'm happy with that news.
@++
PS : on my "to wait list" there is still :
.1. a GT4 serie,
.2. an updated Silverstone,
.3. a "real" french track (cause Le mans is not a real-track, just used for the 24H and that's all )... give us Le castelet, or Magny-Cours, or (why not) the Le Mans Bughati, Nogaro could be great too...
.4. Please, finish Long Beach !!!!!!!!!!
@++

BUUUUUT, they better have the old configuration! Going from Turn 11 in a never-ending right hand sequence all the way to the start-finish straight is fantastic.
Circuit_de_Barcelona-Catalunya

Oh they'll have it alright-- imo iracing is nothing if not obnoxiously thorough when it comes to multiple layouts of circuits. I never would've imagined I'd get to run the Sports Car course at Vegas Motor Speedway in a race sim and had no idea Tsukuba had a "1000" layout at all.

The trick is finding/convincing a series' to run the layout you want...which shouldn't be an issue since the moto (classic) layout is very popular and who the hell likes that contrived n unnecessary final chicane anyway? I for one won't participate in any week that has it.

So are they actually ever going to bother making Mallory Park or did they just laser scan it for a jolly outing?

Mallory would be a useful track for Iracing.As well as the old & new layouts for road racing they could use the oval in the other direction.I was racing at a meeting in the 90s at Mallory when the Eurocars had 3 races on the same day.Great racing with Mike Jordan(BTCC) & hot rod legend Barry Lee.

I cannot say any of the Spanish tracks excite me.Most were built in the 1990s & are great for motorcycle racing but are a bit mediocre for cars.It will be popular with the numerous Spanish sim racers on Iracing.
What tracks would I like to see?The two tracks that are close to me produce some of the closest racing in the UK.Thruxton & Castle Combe.Neither appear very often in Sims(Thruxton TOCA3?).
Outside UK Istanbul Park would be popular,Adelaide,Melbourne or Pukekoke which produces some good racing.
Thruxton is in both RF2 and AC - also my local track, but rather boring.

Oh they'll have it alright-- imo iracing is nothing if not obnoxiously thorough when it comes to multiple layouts of circuits. I never would've imagined I'd get to run the Sports Car course at Vegas Motor Speedway in a race sim and had no idea Tsukuba had a "1000" layout at all.

The trick is finding/convincing a series' to run the layout you want...which shouldn't be an issue since the moto (classic) layout is very popular and who the hell likes that contrived n unnecessary final chicane anyway? I for one won't participate in any week that has it.
Wonder if they will have the RallyX layout, maybe some issues with it being in WRX but would be cool to see

That's a great news !
I know barcelona isn't very popular, but for me it's a "must have" (like Nurb GP).
Spanish community on iracing is really big (maybe too much would says some guys...), so it's "logical" to have a spanish track, much more than so many Japanesestracks (tsukuba is fun, but really not interesting).
As all the guys, I'm still waiting (and complaining) for an updated' Silverstone (thats just unbelievable), but it's not the time yet. Yet is time to thanks iracing to bring the barcelona track, I'm happy with that news.
@++
PS : on my "to wait list" there is still :
.1. a GT4 serie,
.2. an updated Silverstone,
.3. a "real" french track (cause Le mans is not a real-track, just used for the 24H and that's all )... give us Le castelet, or Magny-Cours, or (why not) the Le Mans Bughati, Nogaro could be great too...
.4. Please, finish Long Beach !!!!!!!!!!
@++

I agree Tsukuba is very weak and Barcelona should be much higher on the priority list.
Hard to believe no Algarve/Portimao! Wait, what? I know it's not a Spanish track but it's only a few miles and such a great track!

They most definitely need to add some French tracks, I would love to see Clermont (Charade), that's a fantastic place to race!:geek: I guess Tilke never went there. :D One of my top favorite tracks, maybe the best on Earth, but not sure if it's wide enough for multiplayer.

Jerez is also a track with good flow, I think.

For Japanese tracks, which are more than fairly covered by GT Sport (IMO) :poop:, Fuji would be great to have but I would put it below the French/Spanish/Portuguese tracks.

Oh, and please, enough with the :poop:ovals:poop:. :laugh:
Let's get more like Mid-Ohio, that track is great!:thumbsup:
There! Always end on a positive note! :ninja:

Reactions: F_B
  • Deleted member 205301

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back