iRacing Time of Day Progression and Tsukuba Preview Videos

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
New iRacing preview videos showcase Tsukuba and dynamic clouds and day/night transitions.

iRacing will be getting quite a bit of new content in the upcoming December 4th build release, with the simulation having already confirmed the Dallara Formula Three and Formula Renault 3.5 cars will be added, alongside the Charlotte Roval circuit. In recent days the US based team have also confirmed the addition of the Japanese Tsukuba Circuit, another well regarded and quite technical race track that will be familiar to sim racers from games such as Gran Turismo. The preview video for the track can be seen below:

With the release of the new build coming this December 4th, iRacing have also confirmed the long awaited dynamic sky and night/day transition feature is set to be added in a much requested and rather exciting first pass at the new feature.

Adding dynamic skies that change with elapsed time, the new feature will finally allow players the opportunity to race under different lighting conditions in a dynamic way, rather than the current preset day or night conditions.

iRacing Dynamic Time of Day 2.jpg

According to iRacing, the suns motion in the sky will be realistic to the time, date and location of the race event - with circuit temperatures set to match the weather conditions and impact the on track racing. All sounds very impressive doesn't it? Well with just a couple of days until release, we'll soon be able to find out all about it ourselves!​

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

iRacing Dynamic Time of Day.jpg

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

they've done this for 10 years now and show no sign of weakness. where are their competitors from ten years ago? none of them is still around in their original form if i am not mistaken. seems like their model is working, others not as well.
let's not forget the sim-racing market is a niche within a niche, not much money to be made there. the first project cars sold more than a million in a year, iRacing has about 70,000 active users a year if i am not mistaken, figure where the money goes.

the other simulations released 10-15 years ago are simply no longer there, because at the launch of iracing to have the "real" sim racing, there was not much choice (games "old as gp3" , lfs that had just been launched or choose iracing a lil later) ... the simracing was a niche game (I remember 15 years ago on lfs, the public was very small because it was very rare to meet people with a steering wheel and a cockpit) whereas now, as many people who love simracing have invested in equipment, the "realistic" racing game is no longer really a "niche" game
I think (and this remains my opinion) that iracing lock itself in a niche game with this subscription system.
I assure you that during my period iracing (2009-2015), I could bring a lot of players (friends, acquaintances, family) on iracing but that I announced the method with subscription it was a "no" immediately.
just look on youtube, steam, here, and everywhere we talk about iracing, the negative argument that comes up every time and in very large numbers: very good game, but a pity it is necessary to s' Subscribe
I'm sure that with another non-subscription method, the base would grow from 60,000-70,000 to maybe 150,000-200,000 people and there would be many people in all categories. because I do not know if it changed but when I stopped in May 2015, the servers of the popular classes was populated but to find people in lotus for example it was not the same thing.
I know that the big fan of iracing remains pretty closed on the choice of subscription and it's really a shame because you do not realize that you lock yourself in a niche game that, with a good economic model will become "THE cars reference simulation"
for the moment indeed, their model allows them to live from their production but brakes enormously the potential development of this app
I strongly respect your opinion but how can you defend for example the fact that a player like me, who has invested 500-600 for 5 years for a simple video game can not enjoy its content without spending money again? ?? it's downright crazy, 500-600 euros in the video game is a very big sum ... we will get out the argument that in real self sport would cost me more expensive but we are talking about a simple video game with its qualities and defaults.

in any case, thank you for this courteous answer and good day to you;)

ps: if you exist god, for Christmas I would like, the base of AMS + DX 11 + iracing online system and all in ONE game, for me it would be perfection: D

Last edited:
invested 500-600 for 5 years for a simple video game can not enjoy its content without spending money again?
If you think iRacing is an investment... then what do you want for return on investment? Has it kept you entertained, improved your sim/real driving skills, given you memorable moments on track, or friendships outside the sim?

If you haven't seen those returns, then yes, I agree that you should stop investing... but thank you for yours of contributions so new features like Time of Day could be developed!

Last edited:
Now if they add rain and the new tire model is not crap as current one I'm in even if I disagree with their pricing model. Hopefully it happens in 2019. If they could remove the 5 or 6 car limit would be great too.

There's a new tire model in the pipeline?

edit: Some googling uncovered a post in March detailing NTM V7. Do any of they cars have this yet?
the tldr version of the post is:
TLDR:

With V7 the variation in laptimes from cold to hot temperatures is much better, there is no longer a “Golden Out Lap” syndrome, and the grip loss with temperature and feel over the limit has been improved. Plus a whole lot of other good stuff!

I must say this has piqued my interest in IRacing again as I left a year because I just couldn't handle the transition from grip to ice that you got when you go over the limit.

Last edited:
If you think iRacing is an investment... then what do you want for return on investment? Has it kept you entertained, improved your sim/real driving skills, given you memorable moments on track, or friendships outside the sim?

If you haven't seen those returns, then yes, I agree that you should stop investing... but thank you for yours of contributions so new features like Time of Day could be developed!

there was a pleasant moment, I did the mx cup in 2015 when we could win a real internship with a race in laguuna seca and I ended up in very good position (20-25th out of 3000 if I remember well) it was nice even if the race itself is more to pay attention to others not to get into it braking rather than his own conduct, but in comparison with the investment, no I can not say that I still have so much pleasant memory (I'm also good with an ams which cost me barely 30 euros for 600 hours of play but it is not the question: D )
level friendship it's nice but very far from the friendliness of the public of an independent game as I have known modding for a transport fever for example (the developers thanking their community by redistributing money during a competition for modders, which at the same time brings me 350 euros: D)
I used the word "invest" but it comes from my bad English, I meant "spend 500-600" and it's not the fact of giving them for iracing that makes me very unhappy but the fact not to be able to enjoy it in the long term without having to reinvest in the game ... and this is the trap of monthlyization ...
I do not want to personally add a subscription for the video game in the long list of subscriptions that pace our lives, for me the video game is a product that is sold and that the buyer has after his purchase and not that we rent.
I was surprised 2 weeks ago by reinstalling LFS to see that 15 years later, many servers are still populated and quite a few players still enjoy the low cost of this game
after, each one his vision of the relation customer / salesman and each one his vision on the money but one thing is on and recognized in the economic world: the subscription on a product is never for the benefit of the customer.

thank you for your answer and have a good day;)

ps: glad to have helped for the cycle day night ... I admit to having lost hope to have it one day and I stopped giving after 7 years of development: D, at this rate there, I will have to re-register to allow you to have a changing and credible weather for 2025: P

There's a new tire model in the pipeline?

edit: Some googling uncovered a post in March detailing NTM V7. Do any of they cars have this yet?
the tldr version of the post is:

I must say this has piqued my interest in IRacing again as I left a year because I just couldn't handle the transition from grip to ice that you got when you go over the limit.

won't be out until at least march 2019

A question out of topic. What will happen if one day iRacing goes bankroute? Do we lose everything? ;)
Nice try. What happens if Digital Brothers go 'bankroute' as you call it? They're on their way for millions in losses over the last couple of years. If this happens, will Kunos finish the game? I only make the argument because you brought it up. Also, ever consider why Kunos chose the Unreal engine? Because it's free to use. Only after they turn a profit do they have to pay Unreal any money. Combine this with the EA release which basically allows Kunos to be paid while they develop the game. So, you know. Since you brought it up.

lol, weren't we supposed to discuss the clouds and the track?

anyway, every single iRacing thread ends up with someone blaming the subscription based system and i plead guilty to having contributed to yet another thread going off the rails.

back on topic: really looking forward to gt3s at this smallish tsukuba track, it is there on the schedule for the first week and since it is a free track everyone and their dog will be there. it was this prospect that actually made me renew my sub even though my irating has taken a dip these last two seasons i haven't experienced in six years.

I've noticed that when iRacing does something, they tend to do it completely the first time, albeit perhaps not perfectly.

That's one thing that's very admirable about iRacing. While others release beta versions of features and early access and develop it over time, iRacing doesn't seem to be afraid to take the time and only release something when it's relatively feature complete.

Good job, iRacing, the videos look beautiful.

Here's hoping my hardware can cope :)

Looking forward to all the upcoming features coming to the title!

I was going through all my racing sims and the cost I spent on them.

I was actually surprised and upset that I've spent more money on titles and dlc I rarely or don't play than I have in the 6yrs of being with iracing paying for subscripts & content.

Play what you enjoy!

yup in my first year of iracing it has been excellent.
great online racing, when you find a well participated race even better!
that really is the only thing that gets me is the mixed participation.
but it really is great stuff. Invest or spend what ever you want to say, if i spend 100 on Raceroom or 100 on iracing i just spent it.
iracing i need to spend again for the year, but that is paltry for such a good sim, and for the time i have i only use Asetto, Automobilista, Raceroom, Wreckfest and Iracing
and Iracing takes the majority of it all. like 90%

I've noticed that when iRacing does something, they tend to do it completely the first time, albeit perhaps not perfectly.

That's one thing that's very admirable about iRacing. While others release beta versions of features and early access and develop it over time, iRacing doesn't seem to be afraid to take the time and only release something when it's relatively feature complete.

Good job, iRacing, the videos look beautiful.

Here's hoping my hardware can cope :)
yeah, becasue they can sit on the money they are getting each month, whereas the other devs get money from the DLC/Expansion pack

Day/night transitions AND AI! They've almost caught up to GTR 2!!

Am I supposed to be excited for FR3.5? It's not anything novel, two other sims have it. And if they're going to pick a defunct series, why not something with hair, like 80's Transam and IMSA GTs?? Maybe a Ferrari 430 Scuderia GT racer is next? :rolleyes:

it was this prospect that actually made me renew my sub even though my irating has taken a dip these last two seasons i haven't experienced in six years.

Personally I think many people are not enjoying iRacing as much as they could because their fixation to iRating. I was one of them in beginning, but since I just stopped worrying about it, I found it more fun just hop into different series when I felt like it and after making sure I was ready to hop into race so that I would not compromise anybody elses race with being too slow with car or track. If I would be fixated to iRating, it would mean I would just chosen series and tracks I could really be competitive in and practice till my hands would bleed, that would not have been so much fun.

Of course maximizing irating IS the fun part to some people and let them do it the way they want, but some could be having more fun.

[disclaimer: I am just saying this as example, not claiming you would be too irating fixated as I do not know you]

lol, weren't we supposed to discuss the clouds and the track?
back on topic: really looking forward to gt3s at this smallish tsukuba track, it is there on the schedule for the first week and since it is a free track everyone and their dog will be there. .

Isnt t Tsukuba a bit small for GT3 cars? Used to love this track on Gran Turismo. Been trying the mod track on AC with the MX 5 .......its going to be a great track for overtaking.

To the iRacers out there: is there a plan to abandon the lack of collision in pits?
This really bothers me lol I think it's extremely idiotic for something that calls itself a sim, for sure would be a +1 point to get into that service if they made it like... real life.

To the iRacers out there: is there a plan to abandon the lack of collision in pits?
This really bothers me lol I think it's extremely idiotic for something that calls itself a sim, for sure would be a +1 point to get into that service if they made it like... real life.

quoted from iracing forums:
You can make contact with other cars in the pitlane. It's usually just the driving lanes, the pit stalls themselves you can ghost through other cars. If two cars in the pit boxes overlap and then both exit the pit boxes, they will remain overlapped and neither driver gets a contact incident.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%