iRacing | Season 4 Patch 4 Update Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing update day folks!

Yes, a new update is here, it's large but not 2 pages large, and it comes with plenty of goodies... read on to find out more.

iRACING UI:

Loading Screen

- Fixed a gap in the text spacing that appeared on the right side when loading into Test Drive.

Track Maps

- A new set of track maps have been added, including the following:

- - Centripetal Circuit

- - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

- - Myrtle Beach Speedway

- - New Hampshire Motor Speedway

- - New Jersey Motorsports Park

- - New Smyrna Speedway

- - North Wilkesboro Speedway

- - Road America

- - Sonoma Raceway

- - Suzuka International Racing Course

- - Tsukuba Circuit

SIMULATION:

AI Racing

- AI Racing is now available with the following additional vehicles:

- - NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro

- - NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang

- - NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Supra

- AI Racing is now available at Rockingham Speedway - Oval!

- AI Drivers have improved their brake bias settings for the VW Jetta TDI Cup.

Environmental Audio

- Small crowd cheers have been improved.

Audio

- XAudio2 support has been added for Low-Frequency Effects (LFE) engine sounds.

- - This enables engine sounds in TrueForce when using XAudio2.

Telemetry

- Fixed an issue that was causing some users to fail to enable telemetry.

- - This was being caused by limiting the frequency telemetry logging could be enabled and disabled. The cooldown limiter has been removed.

Replays

- Attempting to use the "+" character in the filename when saving a Replay to disk will now correctly provide an error.

CARS:

Audi R8 LMS

- 2020 Season GT3 Balance of Power Adjustment: Aerodynamic downforce has been reduced slightly.

Audi RS 3 LMS

- The rev limiter maximum RPM audio has been improved.

BMW M4 GT4

BMW M8 GTE

- 2020 Season GTE Balance of Power Adjustment: Aerodynamic downforce has been reduced slightly.

Dallara F3

- Fixed an issue with the missing rain switch toggle.

Dallara IR18

- Fixed an issue with the ambient occlusion for the cockpit model.

- The iRacing setup for [Legacy] Texas Motor Speedway - 2009 - Oval has been updated.

Ferrari 488 GT3

- Update the engine sound of the rev limiter range.

Ferrari 488 GTE

- 2020 Season GTE Balance of Power Adjustment: Aerodynamic downforce has been increased slightly.

Ford GTE

- 2020 Season GTE Balance of Power Adjustment: Aerodynamic downforce has been increased slightly.

Formula Renault 3.5

Indy Pro 2000 PM-18

Mercedes-AMG GT3

- Down-shift parameters have been adjusted to improve downshift quality and reduce tendency to lock rear wheels during down-shifts.

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Chevrolet Silverado

- Draft strength has been reduced slightly when running at non-Super Speedway tracks.

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Ford F150

- Draft strength has been reduced slightly when running at non-Super Speedway tracks.

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Toyota Tundra

Porsche 911 RSR

TRACKS:

Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans

- Pit alarm environmental sounds have been added.

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

- Gain-time checkpoints have been adjusted to prevent course cutting at the Bus Stop.

Homestead Miami Speedway

- (Oval & Indy Oval) - Chase camera sets have been updated.

Road America

- Fixed some bumps located on pit entry road.

iRacing is an online PC exclusive racing simulation, available now.

Got yourself some iRacing related questions? No worries! Head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get a question posted today!

iRacing Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Blows my mind why iRacing doesn't commit fully to AI cars and track racing for a one time or cheaper subscription model. It would increase the player base greatly. Again, this is just the stubbornness of iRacing shining through.

Kodak failed to adapt to the digital revolution and died shortly after. If you don't believe me, explain the countless "special offer" deals from them in my email recently. That early year sim racing spike has fizzled out.

Blows my mind why iRacing doesn't commit fully to AI cars and track racing for a one time or cheaper subscription model. It would increase the player base greatly. Again, this is just the stubbornness of iRacing shining through.

Kodak failed to adapt to the digital revolution and died shortly after. If you don't believe me, explain the countless "special offer" deals from them in my email recently. That early year sim racing spike has fizzled out.
You do realize that AI is very difficult to just work in right? They can't just wake up one day and have it. They have been working extensively on the model as a whole, plus the championship aspect of it. Not to mention, they weren't built on AI racing. Their priority first and foremost needs to be keeping old/newer players in, as opposed to broadening the scope of the sim as a whole. That's where the money is. Even if it's "fizzled out," their membership is still astronomically higher than it was beforehand (membership tripled if I'm not mistaken). Its not stubbornness, its balancing the old and new player base.

Maybe they will in the future when all content is added and finished, but kinda of pointless adding a AI subscription only for an unfinished product atm.

Having a different business model does not mean it is failing.
They always send special deal Email if you don’t extend your subscription, they did so years ago as well.

They continue to develop their product, like updating tracks, updating cars, updating the UI, adding AI - albeit gradually, updating damage, adding new cars, adding new tracks.

IMO the only part that is IMO reprehensible is that you own nothing.
Access to everything you license is limited to paying your subscription fee.
you can literally license all cars and tracks - quite a monetary value (I have all tracks) - and literally have nothing to show for it if you don’t pay your subscription.

That’s IMO a questionably business model, especially if you don’t allow for any kind of off line - single player use, like hot lapping etc - of said licensed content.

In short you own nothing, you license everything and that license depends on an active subscription.

The balance here is IMO difficult.
On the one hand there is this continuity of support and development, a clear dedication to provide an excellent multiplayer racing platform (including its far above average infrastructure), with items pricing not cheap, but also not ludicrously expensive - not out of the ordinary compared to other games, including other genres.

The subscription is not cheap, but it pays for a lot of the above infra and development, leaves the fact you own absolutely nothing you spend your money on. If you are dedicated to iRacing, the pricing is not a big deal.

iRacing strong points.
Good far above average infrastructure, populated servers, many classes, good tracks, good cars, above average VR experience, above average damage modeling, above average handling model above average FFB etc. The AI is pretty good.

It may not be the best with everything, but IMO it continues to be a very strong MP package - even for the money.

Last edited:
Maybe they will in the future when all content is added and finished, but kinda of pointless adding a AI subscription only for an unfinished product atm.

How do you finish and add all content to a product like iRacing?
By its very nature it is never finished.
Tracks change, tracks get added, cars change, cars get added.
Physics, handling, damage, ffb, netcode, AI, visuals all evolve as technology evolves.

Your subscription pays for the infrastructure and continued development.
Many people easily forget the infrastructure part of a multiplayer game of this kind.

Look at R3E. It is free to play, content is reasonably priced - bit cheaper than iRacing with regular sales and you “own“ what you buy (although it is an always online game, so what will happen if they ever decide to switch off the servers).

When R3E finished?

When is ACC finished, when Kunos release ACC2?

What about rFactor2?

etc.

Last edited:
How do you finish and add all content to a product like iRacing?
By its very nature it is never finished.
Tracks change, tracks get added, cars change, cars get added.
Physics, handling, damage, ffb, netcode, AI, visuals all evolve as technology evolves.

Your subscription pays for the infrastructure and continued development.
Many people easily forget the infrastructure part of a multiplayer game of this kind.

Look at R3E. It is free to play, content is reasonably priced - bit cheaper than iRacing with regular sales and you “own“ what you buy (although it is an always online game, so what will happen if they ever decide to switch off the servers).

When R3E finished?

When is ACC finished, when Kunos release ACC2?

What about rFactor2?

etc.
The point I was getting at and should have said more content...is there is currently less than 20% of the overall content available for ai racing.
New content can be added when released like every other title.

At the end of the day ai in iracing is an added benefit to your subscription.

Me personally, I am patiently awaiting dirt content ai to be released :)

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%