iRacing | Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The good folks of iRacing have revealed the first video footage of the upcoming Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR - set to arrive next month in the simulation.

The new car is set to arrive in the March build of iRacing, and will join the multi-class IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge for 2020 Season 2, as well as competing in its own support series alongside the Porsche Esports Supercup throughout the 2020 season. In addition to its regular series, you’ll have a chance to race the Cayman in the IMSA 90 Minutes of Sebring special event on March 15.

You can check out the new video trailer below:

Original Source: iRacing YouTube

iRacing is a PC exclusive racing simulation.

For questions or comments about the sim, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread today.

iRacing Porsche 718 1.jpg
iRacing Porsche 718 2.jpg
iRacing Porsche 718 3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, hope this gets an AI release as well. Car looks great and I like the GT4's. Should be fun. I would really love to get AI implemented for all cars and tracks though. Would be great to race some of the stuff I bought that never gets used in a series or in a series that doesn't have participation.

Would be great to race some of the stuff I bought that never gets used in a series or in a series that doesn't have participation.
that
If iRacing has a “multiclass” IMSA official series, how come it only offers two GT3 cars (porsche and audi)?
I guess because of the limited number of different cars on one server? I think it's six or seven atm. Don't know about their IMSA grid, though, haven't played the series for a while. I understood the GT4 would run with the Audi TCR, just the two. Bit confused now.

Its nice iRacing is adding a new class of car, but I think this will be the nail in the coffin of the TCR car. I've rarely gotten TCR races to go official lately. Now most will pick the GT4 I think. The TCR car is in need of a number of tweaks though, so its hard to blame anyone. Lets just hope this Porsche doesn't bring an NTMv7 tire debacle with it.

that
I guess because of the limited number of different cars on one server? I think it's six or seven atm. Don't know about their IMSA grid, though, haven't played the series for a while. I understood the GT4 would run with the Audi TCR, just the two. Bit confused now.
The GT4 car will be added to the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge series. It is an IMSA series, but not the same as the series with DP, GTE and GT3. It will be multiclass GT4 and TCR .

Yeah @j_troc_71 I am hoping it will boost the TCR involvement in the series with the GT4. I have only been able to race in one official TCR race. I do enjoy TCR cars and they make for close racing, but they get a lot of hate.

• Deleted member 205301

Don't know what to (really) expect, i'm a big GT4'fan (as i said in many posts), but i'm afraid majority of people won't use this one for the good reasons...
If they try the cayman only for the "hype aspect", they certainly will be disapointed.... Got a little think for those running (and liking) the TCR, as GOV47 upper in this thread, they'll live a difficult season : "hey guys ! don't let down ! We'll have a nice serie in 2020s3"
...i'm hoping they will release the audi and mercedes later (the bmw m4 will join soon), wich are the most used IRL GT4 cars...but before, the class need to meet (and find) its public (and i'll probably be, I like slow racing^^)
@++
PS : BTW, it'll be difficult to compare with the AC version, cause it's not the same model, here is the 718 cs MR (the last one), in AC it's the "clubsport older'version" (changed in 2019) ..don't know wich is on R3E...
AND : very nice video IMO, certainly one of their best, particularly like the music, but this vid is really great, grats guys !

Last edited by a moderator:
Its nice iRacing is adding a new class of car, but I think this will be the nail in the coffin of the TCR car. I've rarely gotten TCR races to go official lately. Now most will pick the GT4 I think. The TCR car is in need of a number of tweaks though, so its hard to blame anyone. Lets just hope this Porsche doesn't bring an NTMv7 tire debacle with it.

100% agree with you. That TCR is my biggest regret purchase of the year. Terribly boring to drive.

I think the GT4 will get more people interested and we'll see a drop off in mazda cup because this is also RWD and has a bit more power. Maybe it draws people over from Porsche Cup too. Hard to say.

• Deleted member 205301

love the gt4's but i wish iracing would update their gt3 cars
you're right ...but I guess GT3'fans will prefears using ACC, that's probably what iracing'stuff are thinking, and could explain why they don't update (or add) any GT3....(just gussing, I don't know)
@++

That’s great. But I don’t get it. If iRacing has a “multiclass” IMSA official series, how come it only offers two GT3 cars (porsche and audi)?
justified question.
IMSA in iracing has 3 classes similar to the real life IMSA series (tho a little outdated in iRacing), DP, GTE (GTLM), GT3 (GTD).
Like another here said, iracing is currently limited to 7 different model type of cars per track. what causes the limit, i do not know but it is there. 1 DP, all 4 GTEs and that only leaves space for 2 GT3s.
they obviously had to include all GTEs because GTEs, despite their popularity, dont have a GTE only series (unless you count the BMW fixed one), so IMSA is basically the GTEs primary series while GT3s do have their own series, which is obviously the VRS series which does not only have a 40 minute sprint series but also a 3 hour endurance one.
the limit will be extended to 8 in the near future. iRacing does have a new 4 race series in plan which consists of 4 12h races that include 4 entire classes. GTE, GT3, GT4, TCR.
expect to see the GT3, GT4, TCR combination more often in the future, VLN, 24h nordschleife, 12h Bathurst. once these 3 classes are established, the porsche cup is probably kicked out of any official endurance events. in the 12h bathurst event, only 3 of the 22 splits had porsche cup cars. gt4 and tcr are obviously on the rise in the real life as well, so there comes that trend from.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 97 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.6%