iRacing | Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The good folks of iRacing have revealed the first video footage of the upcoming Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR - set to arrive next month in the simulation.

The new car is set to arrive in the March build of iRacing, and will join the multi-class IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge for 2020 Season 2, as well as competing in its own support series alongside the Porsche Esports Supercup throughout the 2020 season. In addition to its regular series, you’ll have a chance to race the Cayman in the IMSA 90 Minutes of Sebring special event on March 15.

You can check out the new video trailer below:

Original Source: iRacing YouTube

iRacing is a PC exclusive racing simulation.

For questions or comments about the sim, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread today.

iRacing Porsche 718 1.jpg
iRacing Porsche 718 2.jpg
iRacing Porsche 718 3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

. iRacing does have a new 4 race series in plan which consists of 4 12h races that include 4 entire classes. GTE, GT3, GT4, TCR.
Don't know where you get this info, but it's great to heard.... I though they had a licence for the 24H serie (like IRL), but that's not exactly what you're talking about...we'll see :)
talking about this 7 (or 8 in the future) car limit, we could imagine a great future for the IMSA Pilot Challenge (if the serie seduce a large number), with 4-5 GT4 and 2-3 TCR...I always though they will bring 4 GT4 and
2 TCR, for now only the half is on the table, they are probably waiting to see if it's a success or not before adding other cars....(or not^^)
@++

Don't know where you get this info, but it's great to heard.... I though they had a licence for the 24H serie (like IRL), but that's not exactly what you're talking about...we'll see :)
talking about this 7 (or 8 in the future) car limit, we could imagine a great future for the IMSA Pilot Challenge (if the serie seduce a large number), with 4-5 GT4 and 2-3 TCR...I always though they will bring 4 GT4 and
2 TCR, for now only the half is on the table, they are probably waiting to see if it's a success or not before adding other cars....(or not^^)
@++

They've already announced that they will eventually release the BMW GT4 car.

• Deleted member 205301

from iracing anouncement :
"- The following cars have been enabled for AI Races:
- - Audi RS 3 LMS
- - Dallara F3
- - Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR

- The following tracks have been enabled for AI Races:
- - Brands Hatch Circuit - Grand Prix
- - Daytona International Speedway - 2007 - Road Course
- - Daytona International Speedway - Road Course
- - Summit Point Raceway - Summit Point Raceway

- AI Drivers have received additional training at the following track configurations:
- - Daytona International Speedway - Oval
- - Nürburgring Grand-Prix-Strecke - Grand Prix
- - Sebring International Raceway - Club
- - Sebring International Raceway - International

- The following adjustments have been made to AI Drivers:
- - AI Drivers should now avoid using brakes on suitable ovals, relying instead on just lifting.
- - AI Drivers overall behavior at Superspeedways has been improved.
- - AI Drivers have improved their understeer driving.
- - AI Drivers have received additional training for exiting pit stalls.

- The following adjustments have been made to AI Vehicles:
- - Tire degradation algorithms have been optimized.
- - Wheel grip changes from tire curing have been reduced slightly.
- - The algorithm for brake heat calculations has been adjusted. "

....well, that's great news (off course there is many more in the today'update, I only focused on the AI section)
@++

• Deleted member 205301

Sorry if I've missed something somewhere, but do the AI cars have different physics to the player's car?
The question seems simple, but the answer is not...
An AI does NOT use a car'physic, that's not how it works (it should, and developpers try to be the closest to this, but you have to understand that if every AI car use 100% car'physic, your CPU won't suit, it's barely impossible)
So in many way, they work within the car'physic'limits, but they always have to "adjust" some values (i'm a bit ashamed, my english is not good enough to answer you with more precision) ...let's say, so, an AI use a "simpler version" of car'physics ;)
@++

No its not impossible with todays CPU´s.
As example the rF2 AI uses the slightly more simple physics from rF1.
And good ol NR2003 AIs did use the same physics as the player car - so you as example could force the AIs to use your normal setup.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: This story have been used by some game devs to hide the fact that their AI bots was anything else than able to drive "intelligent". :roflmao:

• Deleted member 205301

@BrunoB haha, yeah, you're right, that's a good excuse
I just wanted to say that AI is something "different", and use "simpler version" of physics (at this stage, and concerning simracing, I have absolutely no verified datas to compare, but we certainly could imagine that some titles AI are close to "player'physics", and some others are "far", but none is 100% the same)
@++

Yeah conserning ACC then I recall I have read that too.
And my guess is that one of the reasons iRacings AIs does behave somewhat believable is that they also use a physics either very close to the player car or as I suppose equal to it.

EDIT:
While my recall service is allready down the memory lane I suddenly remember that I used hours to create setups for the AI cars in the GTP mod for NR2003.:p
Because when you did know their preferences you could make them faster/more effective than when they just grabbed the default setup.
Hehe but one thing I can remember they didnt like was if you lowered the wing/spoiler to unrealistic low because then they began struggle to get the car round in the corners.
Just like the player car with too low wings.:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone figured out a baseline setup for the Porsche Cayman GT4 and wants to share it with us? :)
I used the advice on the forum post mentioned above and am now really happy. This is what I changed:
ABS up to 9-11. I can run 9 fine but 10 is a little too tricky for me
springrate rear 150
brake bias 49
rear toe 1.3
The biggest change is the ABS, it's almost turned off and that makes the car come alive.
I still need to remember to turn in earlier, otherwise one runs out of track at exit if you start getting back on throttle just before apex.
But it's huge fun to play the way I set it up now, a little more lively.
I will try setting bias to 50 or to 48 tomorrow, people online said this was the most crucial change for them.

Done a couple of AI races with three different cars on grid (911 cup, Cayman GT4 and Audi TCR) and now done my first online event with the Cayman: what a brilliant addition to the fold this car is, cashed in my participation credit from last season and it's worth every virtual dime. No matter what other guys say, for me, no other game tells me so well where exactly my four virtual wheels are at any given moment and what they are involved in. That plus the weight transfer make playing the virtual Cayman super fun, love it. Also, the AI is now top in iRacing, also tried it in my go-to series the Skip Barber car, and it makes for fun close racing with virtual opponents that feel eerily alive, feigning attacks and all, brilliant.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back