iRacing | Patch 2 Season 4 2020 Update Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing recently deployed a new build update to their simulation - plus some exciting news about Long Beach.

Seemingly another day, another new build for iRacing - and another long read for fans of update notes. Yes, it's 2020 Season 4 Patch 2 time once again - check out what's new below.

Update Notes:

Classic Membersite:

• The query for the last ten races on a user’s profile has been updated to pull aggregate Championship Points for Heat Races.
  • A direct link has been added to take a user between their My Cars and My Tracks pages.- The Help & Support button on the Membersite homepage now links to the Documents and Tools page.
    – – A variety of resources here are excellent self-help resources.
  • A large button has been added at the top of the Documents and Tools page that takes a user to the iRacing Support Homepage.
    – – Navigate here for even more self-help tools, FAQs, and to directly contact Customer Support.
Simulation:

Purchase Discount

• We have updated our method for calculating the application of the 20% Off – 40+ Pieces Club for our Members.
    – – As of last week, this discount is automatically applied to your Cart if your account owns 40 or more full price pieces of content. This includes cars and tracks that you may have purchased at full price, only to later have them become part of the iRacing default content.
Rendering
  • Fixed an issue with flickering particle effects, such as smoke and dirt, in car mirrors.
Visual Effects
  • Tire smoke has been updated.
  • Fixed an issue where dust puffs were spinning rapidly.
Cameras
  • For the Camera Tool, the camera select macro now switches to your own car using the command /-4/<enter> typed out on the number pad.
Replays
  • Fixed a crashing issue that could occur when moving the play-head around rapidly in the Replay.
Peripherals
  • Support for the Xbox One Elite controller series 2 in wireless mode has been added.
Cars:

Dallara IR18

• New iRacing Setups have been added for Phoenix Raceway.
Ford Fiesta RS WRC
  • Yokohama branding has been added to tire sidewalls.
McLaren MP4-30
  • iRacing Season setups have been updated.
  • Significantly increased wear rate for all tire compound types.
NASCAR Cup Series Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
NASCAR Cup Series Ford Mustang
NASCAR Cup Series Toyota Camry
Subaru WRX STI
Super Late Model
  • An updated tire archetype has been applied to this vehicle!
  • Vehicle physics have been updated.
USF 2000
  • Fixed an issue where customized wheel rim color was not displaying correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the rotor glow was not appearing correctly.
VW Beetle
Tracks:

Charlotte Motor Speedway

• The pit out light position has been adjusted.
Lånkebanen (Hell RX)
  • Norwegian PA announcements have been added to this track.
Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway
  • Fixed an issue where the front stretch of the pit wall would be invisible on Low Detail settings.
Nürburgring
  • Fixed an issue where some fans would be visible while the grandstand in which they were seated was invisible on some Detail settings.

In other news, iRacing have also confirmed they are currently working on developing the Longbeach location in the simulation, to bring the track into the title as a fully working and feature rich venue - rather than the current tech track status the track has been sitting at in recent years.

iRacing is available now, exclusively on PC.

iRacing fans, want to discuss the title, ask a question, find that perfect car setup? Head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment, start a thread and find the answers you need!

iRacing longbeach.jpg

Last edited:
I left iRacing because of the long going openvr (htc vive, index vs..) head tracking/world wobble peoblem couple of seasons ago. Can you guys tell it if it fixed by now? I want to come back but don`t want to waste money if it`s not fixed yet.

Last edited:
I left iRacing because of the long going openvr (htc vive, index vs..) head tracking/world wobble peoblem couple of seasons ago. Can you guys tell it if it fixed by now? I want to come back but don`t want to waste money if it`s not fixed yet.

I think iRacing has some of the best VR support out there.
I'm running a Valve Index, 2.0 base stations and iRacing works beautifully.

I'm also running with an NLRv3 seat mover. I've found the head tracking to be excellent.

I've even accidentally played with one of my two base stations turned off and was surprised when I noticed that later while I was turning everything off.

Last edited:

I'm also running with an NLRv3 seat mover. I've found the head tracking to be excellent.

I've even accidentally played with one of my two base stations turned off and was surprised when I noticed that later while I was turning everything off.

I didn`t know it would work without base stations.. Anyway, the problem I mentioned was exist for about a year, maybe more. There was a topic in iRacing VR forum titled "index owners, can you check it?" or something like that. I can`t get in forums since I didn`t renew my membership. It was one of the longest bug report page. More than 50 pages of reports there yet it was never fixed.

I had an Index. Problem was there and I couldn`t stand it. Later, I traded it with an Vive Pro because of oled screen yet problem was still there. It was obvious that it was an OpenVR problem. Since when are you using Index? Is it new? Maybe it was fixed before you started using it?

Last edited:
It still requires at least one base station. What I was saying was that I accidently left 1 of my 2 base stations off.

I've had my Index since August 2019 and I love it and it's hand controllers. I'm running an i9-9900K and 2080Ti. I find it very comfortable and I run 120 fps in iRacing and most other titles. ( not ACC ) The performance I get in Dirt Rally 2.0 is also very good now.

The drivers for the Index have improved over time resulting in smoother operation and faster frame rates. I also run NVidia's VRSS feature which is like a center favored AA/sharpening that works great.

I do keep the front panel off of my Index and have a small fan that keeps air flowing through the headset so I'm very comfortable, cool and fog free.
FullRig_5252.jpg

Last edited:
It still requires at least one base station. What I was saying was that I accidently left 1 of my 2 base stations off.

I've had my Index since August 2019 and I love it and it's hand controllers. I'm running an i9-9900K and 2080Ti. I find it very comfortable and I run 120 fps in iRacing and most other titles. ( not ACC ) The performance I get in Dirt Rally 2.0 is also very good now.

The drivers for the Index have improved over time resulting in smoother operation and faster frame rates. I also run NVidia's VRSS feature which is like a center favored AA/sharpening that works great.

I do keep the front panel off of my Index and have a small fan that keeps air flowing through the headset so I'm very comfortable, cool and fog free.
View attachment 410461

I have similar CPU and GPU (2080ti +220Core +1100Ram and i7 9700K@5.0 GHZ.). Guess you didn`t have the problem. It wasn`t about Index HDM by the way. Many Vive, Vive Pro and other OpenVR HMD users were effected. You are one of the lucky few mate :).

Nice rig by the way. I have Fanatec CSW 2.5 and V3 Pedals attached to playseat challenge :)). Not very rigid but this is the best I can in the small flat I have.

IMG_0146.jpg

I know a LOT of sim Racers running the Valve Index right now who love them and how they work.

I had NEVER heard of this issue you speak of and I know a bunch of guys who had Indexes from the very first pre-order round. I was in the 2nd.

The worst thing I heard of was EMI issues with SFX-100 systems that would grey out the screens until shielding was added and grounding to the frame. I've not had an issue with the NLRv3, but I do know a number of Index/SFX-100 users out there too. Some did have to work at sorting the EMI to get them to work well.

Last edited:

I can confirm that it is the only simulator plug and play in VR .. shame on the other simulators!

I can confirm that it is the only simulator plug and play in VR .. shame on the other simulators!

Don't know what you're talking about: AC, AMS2, RF2 and Raceroom work without any problems for me in VR. Only ACC is not good performancewise and also Raceroom sometimes can be a bit troublesome because of DX9. Yes, Iracing also works really good in VR but it's not better than the others.

It's quite obvious that you're the "funboy" in this conversation as I don't mind playing all the other sims. :D

I got all of them and play all and VR is not plug and play in any of the sims you mentioned.

if that is not the case for you , 2 are the things :

1 - your machine is an I9 with a RTX 2080ti or superior
2 - you are simply not telling the objective truth.

I got all of them and play all and VR is not plug and play in any of the sims you mentioned.

if that is not the case for you , 2 are the things :

1 - your machine is an I9 with a RTX 2080ti or superior
2 - you are simply not telling the objective truth.

Ok, I try to explain it to you:
I run a Ryzen 7 3700X with an 2080. Yes, it's a fast machine but not the best one available.
Before (until 2 month ago) I had an Ryzen 5 2600X with a 2080. This one ran AC, RF2, Automobilista 2 and Iracing just fine in VR. Only Raceroom wasn’t a decent experience (DX9). However, in my opinion all of these sims provide a plug'n play experience in VR, I don’t have to be a rocket scientist to launch them or set up thousand of parameters to run VR. Never had any difficulties with that tbh.

I think this thread is devolving.

iRacing does seem to do well in a few categories. Unlike Code Master games it does not appear to be single core limited. I don't see any cores above 60% in iRacing and it appears to use 4 cores. However by comparison in Dirt Rally 2 one core is nearly maxed out.

iRacing is not alone. Other sims also use more cores. I just used Dirt Rally 2.0 as an example.

iRacing supports VRSS if you have an RTX card, but that does require downloading a special tool to enable this feature and knowing what to do, so it is not OOB. This does a great job improving clarity and removing jaggies especially on the dash in VR. VRSS is a specific to VR feature of the RTX cards that add advanced AA an sharpening in the center of the viewing area.

Many sims do not support VRSS and that is basically happenstance dependent on the tools that they use to render in VR, and not because they did anything right or wrong.

iRacing does have a PILE of graphics settings like many other sims and most people will tweak them to get the best appearance while keeping a solid frame rate.

People like Barry at SRG use iRacing as their go to sim for testing because it supports every piece of hardware out there and works with minimal futzing.

There is a good reason for this. iRacing has an incremental upgrade path that spans many years vs. selling a new version every few years and abandoning the previous version. There are pros and cons to this, but it does mean they iRacing works with the largest array of hardware out there.

Last edited:
I think this thread is devolving.

An iRacing thread devolving?!? No way! :laugh:

Obviously other people have had different experiences, but I would rate iRacing's VR as best in class on the following basis:

- plug and play (for me, anyways)
- looks really good
- nicely optimized
- realistic mirror behavior

There are other sims that also do VR well, but I don't find any of them to be as good as iRacing.

As if it hasn't been said 10000000 times before...it is expensive, though. On the other hand, I do think the "you get what you pay for" adage often applies and many 1000's of people seem to agree with me. I did a virtual Petit LeMans 10 hr race over the weekend with a buddy. We were in a 43 car split, 31 total splits (and that was only Sat AM, they also had Fri PM splits).

This is in no way a knock against RD, this is my #1 favorite website and I don't go a day without checking in, but you can easily get a really faulty impression of iRacing if RD posters were your only source of info. RD staff does a great job of covering iRacing, but the resulting discussion threads tend heavily towards the negative side (as a general rule, I think PCars is the only series that elicits more negativity).

One thing I would urge noobies (or just anyone who has never tried iRacing) to keep in mind: the iRacing community is a relatively closed system. There are certainly iRacing members (like myself) who consider iRacing as one of several sims they play. However, in my experience, many members are through and through iRacers - i.e. they've got many hours in iRacing but might struggle to even name other sims, let alone give you objective pros/cons relative to iRacing. That's not because they think (insert your favorite sim here) sucks, but rather they've never seen need to leave the iRacing bubble. And remember iRacing has their own discussion forum that is relatively lively.

That's a long winded way of saying props to RD staff for doing a great job covering iRacing, but don't let the resulting discussion thread give you a faulty impression of the sim's relative merits.

This is in no way a knock against RD, this is my #1 favorite website and I don't go a day without checking in, but you can easily get a really faulty impression of iRacing if RD posters were your only source of info. RD staff does a great job of covering iRacing, but the resulting discussion threads tend heavily towards the negative side (as a general rule, I think PCars is the only series that elicits more negativity).

I'll go a step further and say that I find it absurd that RD doesn't even have a separate forum for iRacing when it's the most popular sim on the planet at the moment (i'm not counting forza or f1 as sims...sorry). Clearly there is some bias here for certain titles (can we get an GTR3 update again:rolleyes:), but over time I think folks will start to realize why iRacing has so many members paying a premium.

I'll go a step further and say that I find it absurd that RD doesn't even have a separate forum for iRacing when it's the most popular sim on the planet at the moment (i'm not counting forza or f1 as sims...sorry). Clearly there is some bias here for certain titles (can we get an GTR3 update again:rolleyes:), but over time I think folks will start to realize why iRacing has so many members paying a premium.
iRacing got it's own very good forum. Almost as valueable as the iService it self.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%