iRacing | Patch 2 Season 4 2020 Update Available

Nick Hill

Premium
Denver, USA
Think about this: I jumped in a race last night, 8:15p local time (Denver/US) on a Tuesday. IndyCar @ Texas (oval). A little over 100 people racing that car/combo at that time. Think about that, 100 people turned up to race IndyCars at Texas on a Tuesday evening. When you think of the numbers the other sims pull, it's almost unbelievable. And guess what? The racing was more than passable. A relatively large, closely spaced field (my split was 26 cars!) and no one was trying to wreck everyone. It's pricey and not perfect, but where else are you going to find that kind of experience on a "drop in" basis?

There are plenty of valid reasons why iRacing is not for everyone. If you don't like it, think it's a bad economic proposition, or what have you - by all means, save your money. But if you are staying away on the basis that it's some kind of criminal-level consumer scam, or you've been told and/or convinced yourself the "tire model" is irretrievably broken, or whatever...you're probably missing out on a really fun time.

As an aside, if any more than a few hundred people worldwide can even explain to you in any amount of detail/clarity what a "tire model" actually is, I would be absolutely shocked. Usually the words "tire model" are coming out of the mouth of someone who couldn't code a "hello world" app if you offered them $100. That doesn't mean you have to be a physics coder to critique a video game...heck no. If you think the feel of the tires sucks or is wrong or whatever, fire away! Just don't try sounding smart by dropping the "tire model" bomb within earshot of me because I'll have some follow up questions! :laugh:

Think about this: I jumped in a race last night, 8:15p local time (Denver/US) on a Tuesday. IndyCar @ Texas (oval). A little over 100 people racing that car/combo at that time. Think about that, 100 people turned up to race IndyCars at Texas on a Tuesday evening. When you think of the numbers the other sims pull, it's almost unbelievable. And guess what? The racing was more than passable. A relatively large, closely spaced field (my split was 26 cars!) and no one was trying to wreck everyone. It's pricey and not perfect, but where else are you going to find that kind of experience on a "drop in" basis?

There are plenty of valid reasons why iRacing is not for everyone. If you don't like it, think it's a bad economic proposition, or what have you - by all means, save your money. But if you are staying away on the basis that it's some kind of criminal-level consumer scam, or you've been told and/or convinced yourself the "tire model" is irretrievably broken, or whatever...you're probably missing out on a really fun time.

As an aside, if any more than a few hundred people worldwide can even explain to you in any amount of detail/clarity what a "tire model" actually is, I would be absolutely shocked. Usually the words "tire model" are coming out of the mouth of someone who couldn't code a "hello world" app if you offered them $100. That doesn't mean you have to be a physics coder to critique a video game...heck no. If you think the feel of the tires sucks or is wrong or whatever, fire away! Just don't try sounding smart by dropping the "tire model" bomb within earshot of me because I'll have some follow up questions! :laugh:
Great post, the F1 drivers are also always complaining about their tires. In many other real life classes it's a topic of debate. But it's the same shortcoming for everyone. So get over it and race those cars.

Last edited: