iRacing November Development Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Update.jpg

In the build up to next weeks 2017 Season 1 release build, iRacing President Tony Gardner has revealed some further details on the progress of dirt racing for the online only simulation alongside several small development updates.

In the first real confirmation that dirt oval racing is indeed just around the corner, Gardner goes on to state that although next weeks build is too soon to receive the update, dirt is expected to be released before March 2017. This is excellent news for those fans who have been eagerly anticipating the new content since its reveal back on April Fools Day, and no doubt the new form of racing for the sim will entice many new customers to iRacing once it is released.

You can read the full statement from Tony Gardner below:

"Good afternoon,

We are excited about the build next week! You will see multiple enhancements and improvements to the simulation and overall service. Right now the plan is to do the usual quarterly software update on December 6th at about 8:00 AM EST.

However I wanted to discuss just a few things that are NOT going to be in build next week and provide a brief update. You will see soon enough what will be in the build next week!

Dirt:

As you probably are aware we are very excited about “dirt” and have heard the same from so many of you. Major pieces of it have been finished for months. There are so many details, facets and challenges to this new form of racing for us graphically and physically. We had many new development challenges to tackle and many new and unique features to develop. I think you will be very impressed with all the work and detail put into this when you get a chance to see it and drive it. However, a few smaller things are still lingering and we want to nail this down to our satisfaction. The small things can make a big difference. We would not expect to release it by year end either with the year winding down and holidays etc. The good news is we feel we are close and are still optimistic to release before the March build. We would do a “mid-season” release if the feature/Dirt was ready. As far as content we have Eldora, Williams Grove and a dirt version of USA Speedway about done and more tracks in the works already. We have 305, 358 and 410 versions of a Dirt Super Late Model. We have a wingless dirt 410 sprint car. We have a winged Sprint Car including 305, 360 and 410 versions. We are putting the cars through our CFD “wind tunnel” to get better aero data, especially for the Winged Sprint car. We also will have dirt versions of our NASCAR truck and a dirt version of the legends car out of the gate. Much more coming and already in the works including global rally cross. Thanks for your patience. It is heart-breaking not to release some of it for year-end with all the work we have put in and being so close but it is the right thing to do.

Time-Attack:

This new hot-lapping competition/feature we think is going to be a great fun and will be something that almost everyone from rookies/time constrained people to veteran sim-racers will really enjoy. We are also close on this new feature and also would release at a point in time, not necessarily needing to wait until a season end build. We will be doing a video about it soon to give you a better idea of it.

Other:

We are also still working on many other things discussed previously like the new damage model, new in-sim UI, web interface, improved and new sounds including working on utilizing XAudio 2, animation and graphics, new forums, physics, incredible content and working on many other things not yet discussed!

Happy Holidays!"
The 2017 Season 1 build is due to be released this Tuesday 6th December.
RaceDepartment has its very own iRacing sub forum where you can discuss the simulation and share setups for each of the cars in game with your fellow community members. Head over to the iRacing sub forum and join in the discussion today!

Do you like the sound of Gardner's update post? Looking forward to dirt? What content would you like to see added in the near future? Let us know in the comments section below!

Photo Credit @James Nance

Last edited:
When will I be able to at least make use of the $70 worth of content I bought just to try it out months ago?
If I had known, I wouldn't have bought into iracing and would rather be spending that cash on AMS right now.

sounds exciting and i hope it deleivers.... too bad they cheaped out on there black friday sale and only offered 25% as i was ready to renew had it been there usual 50% off.....and they raised they yearly subscription from $99 to $110 which is $144 cdn a yr not including any content i might need.
An expensive game just keeps getting more pricey, kinda depresses me when i think of the hundreds of $$$$ ive spent on content that i cant use unless i keep forking out more coin :(

Looks like iRacing is moving forward with great features for the future...'Time Attack'...this sounds interesting as does 'working on incredible content and many other things not yet discussed'...
I am in for the long haul as I have just re-subbed for another year and having spent approx $1500 on content since being a member from 2010 I am essentially locked in so I am looking forward to new and exciting things to come from iRacing....however in the mean time I prefer Automobilista as a total Sim experience as it suits my busy lifestyle ( this is my own preference )

Cheers James, I'll update the OP shortly. Used Google for the image and it linked back to the main RaceTube page. After some searching for the actual picture my soul started to hurt, so I copped out and went for the easy option :D

Cheers again mate, nice shot btw!
Haha, I saw this article pop up on facebook feed, and I was like why is my picture there? Glad you like it, charging Empty Box behind me.

I really liked iracing and strangely its where i started PC Sim Racing. But as already said I just cannot justify the price when AMS is as good as it is and I find rFactor 2 really enjoyable as I can feel what the car is doing.

Everytime I go back to iRacing now, it just feels dead and lifeless, ffb and the feel of the cars. I don't want to race just for the competitive factor but on the flip side I want to test myself against the best. Hopefully with Dirt they have some new info they can use on the road side as well

I was happy with the pricing before and was also waiting for Black Friday deals for the annual 50%. Shame it never happened, will just have to wait until I 'accidentally' click Buy Now on a 1 year renewal :)

Hehe, renewed till Summer 2018 when it was half price last June, price increase does worry me though. What are they doing with all that cash :confused:

I really liked iracing and strangely its where i started PC Sim Racing. But as already said I just cannot justify the price when AMS is as good as it is and I find rFactor 2 really enjoyable as I can feel what the car is doing.

Everytime I go back to iRacing now, it just feels dead and lifeless, ffb and the feel of the cars. I don't want to race just for the competitive factor but on the flip side I want to test myself against the best. Hopefully with Dirt they have some new info they can use on the road side as well

I was happy with the pricing before and was also waiting for Black Friday deals for the annual 50%. Shame it never happened, will just have to wait until I 'accidentally' click Buy Now on a 1 year renewal :)
I was too actually, that's what I did 1 year ago. Sadly my membership has expired. Once I fix my pc, ill be back eventually.

Hehe, renewed till Summer 2018 when it was half price last June, price increase does worry me though. What are they doing with all that cash :confused:
I know they said they've had to spend around a million on network protection, i.e. DDos attacks. Then with the addition of the Ferrari license and who knows what else. To add to that, they expanded with staff and studio/headquarters, its bound to go up.

Iracing do not can anymore justified price list hallucinating in view of the competition of higher quality even if multi- is best or not..., I stop later 3ans of subscription, now AMS,RF2 or Assetto is better not competitive but better feeling!

currently deploying the latest patch at the end of week 13 / beginning of the new season, and you gotta love the changelog:
"Homestead Miami Speedway The pace car driver has attended mandatory training, and should be proficient at parking the pace car at the correct location at this track." and
"Richmond International Raceway The pace car driver has logged hours of practice time, and should now avoid barrels when entering pit lane and be able to park the pace car at the correct location at this track." :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%