Iracing Noob

So I decided to take the plunge and try I racing for a month and see how I get on. Firstly, it works fine with my rift especially crashing and seeing the front tyres squashing up towards you is great. The driving itself, well I've been testing with the free content and I've got to say it's bloody hard! I'll give it a good go over the next month and see how it goes and as always, any hints tips always welcome cheers

I am an Asseto Corsa adddict, my first foray into sim racing was an Rf2 demo about 5 years ago and the physics made no sense to me and I nearly put my F430 budget wheel in a box dirt 3 was bollocks, the codemasters f1 game was also bollocks and I thought I had wasted £100 on a wheel and whatever the games cost on top of that. I then was persuaded to try AC in early access and it was like an epiphany, the first car I drove was a Lotus 49 and it was literally Christmas, beautiful, the physics makes sense, it felt like I was really driving it, so now as much as ever I am a massive AC fanboy. My question is are the Iracing physics as immersive as AC or are they as weird as the rf2 physics from 5 years ago that nearly put me off sim racing altogether?

I prefer the AC physics and feedback, but iracing is very good, give it a 3 month trial. The online matchmaking system is very very good and you'll more often than not find yourself up against like ability drivers. A couple of notes for success:

Practice a lot, and only race once or twice a week.

Or, get on the first race/'s of the week and clean up.

Keep an eye out for maniacs, they are everywhere!

I prefer the AC physics and feedback, but iracing is very good, give it a 3 month trial. The online matchmaking system is very very good and you'll more often than not find yourself up against like ability drivers. A couple of notes for success:

Practice a lot, and only race once or twice a week.

Or, get on the first race/'s of the week and clean up.

Keep an eye out for maniacs, they are everywhere!
Thanks mate, I may well do. Appreciate the feedback.

Working on getting my B licence at the moment so I can race Blancpain and IMSA and enter bigger races as part of a team. Rookie races can be a bit of a lottery, but they can also be really funny, as long as you approach with that in mind.

So, how did your revisiting of iracing go? Are you still playing the game? How is the rift working out for you after a month or more in the game?
:)

So I decided to take the plunge and try I racing for a month and see how I get on. Firstly, it works fine with my rift especially crashing and seeing the front tyres squashing up towards you is great. The driving itself, well I've been testing with the free content and I've got to say it's bloody hard! I'll give it a good go over the next month and see how it goes and as always, any hints tips always welcome cheers

I gave up with it, IRacing is not for me.
Ah, that is too bad.

iRacing spoiled me for racing against other people instead of AI. I find iRacing is perfect for my crazy busy life now that I have a booming career, a family, and other hobbies, . Racing online in a league is the best (imho) but with iRacing I can race against humans at the time of my choosing and no longer tied to the Draconian time settings of the league. Fortunately, I love the car and track offerings from iracing, too.

very well, see you in the other RD forums

After trying ac and iracing, iRacing just seems to slide and slip off the track too easily. In AC you can catch a lot more of the slides.

I have found this to be true in a few iracing cars. The vette and caddy come to mind - it feels like that old name iceRacing with these two cars. For all other cars the FFB is comparable between the two games.

I signed up for iRacing this past week with the 3 months for $5 deal. I finally got the time to do some racing in the MX5 this weekend. I have to say there are some rookies on the track that had no business racing, but for the most part the racing was excellent. I was spun in my first 2 races and ended with an incident average over 9. I did 2 more races and managed to qualify closer to the front and had 2 close incident free races coming in second in my final race. I was promoted to D class after 4 races and 2 time trials.

I started looking at the other series and was a bit disheartened to find that I would have to buy nearly every track to be able to race. I will continue to race in the MX5 series and try my hand at the ovals.

I love using the ispeed lap analyser. I was able to find 2 seconds of time by comparing my best lap to the fastest in the log. I still can't find the additional 2 seconds to get below 1:01 on Okayama Short. The best part of iracing I found was having the ability to know I could rate at the top of the hour at any time and find 50-100 people had registered. I would love to continue with Assetto Corsa, but the servers seem to only be populated during peak European times and that does not work for me being in North America.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the next road series I should try? I noticed that the upper series seem to be less populated and I would hate to buy content for a series that I can't find full races in.
If you enjoy the MX-5 (or would like to race the Solstice), the iRacing Production Car Challenge features dynamic weather and open setups, while running only on free tracks. Top split races (when they split) are usually pretty competitive when running the MX-5, but not quite as competitive as most top split MX-5 Cup races.

Although the SRF's TTO can take some getting used to, the community racing it is excellent, and I really enjoy driving, and racing the car. The schedule usually includes 4 free tracks.

The Skippy is probably the most popular non-GT3 car, with extremely competitive top splits, and very useful series resources, including multiple default weather hotlap replays and track tutorials each week, as well as fantastic, Skippy specific setup and driving guys.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated. Just regarding cost, how much have you spent on iracing say compared to other sims!
Couldn't say exactly how much I've spent as I tend to be a bit random when buying, but to work to a budget, the best way to do it is choose the series at your licence level you want to do, say for instance Skippys at D Class. Look at the series schedule and see how many tracks you need to buy to race the full series, say for instance it's 9 of the 12 tracks for the series. Now you can buy them all at once or, buy them in 3's, i.e the next three you need. You get discount on buying three or more tracks each time.

So, you've now got all the tracks to complete the series, at the end of the season you promoted to C Class, so now you could do Advanced Mazda Cup, FR2.0 or which ever series you choose, again look at the series schedule and see how many tracks you need. with the default content and the tracks you bought for the Skippy series the previous season, you may only need to buy three or four tracks, plus the car if you choose a series which isn't involving a default content cars, so maybe you now only need four or five pieces of content.

Do this for each licence level and by the time you get to A Class, Pro and maybe one day WC you'll have just about all the tracks you need for any series and may just have to buy one or two here and there. That's really the cheapest way to do it. As for subscription, try to take up the Black Friday offers and such when they come around.

Last edited:
black friday is a must :)
also some of the content can be used in two environments, i.e. rovals, tracks which have both an oval and a road layout (motegi, daytona, phoenix etc.), cars which can run on both road and oval (the dallara indy car), cars where you buy one and get different configurations (4 rufs for the price of one). all these are another way to save some money.
there is also a "buy six and save more than by buying 2x3" offer. by all means wait till the end of the season and check the schedule for the new season before buying anything at all.

I was contemplating making a return to iracing for the 10th time.....simply due to the amount of money ive invested in this title and it kinda works with my work schedule though theres not very many people racing in the series i enjoy late night on the west coast.
I was waiting for the black friday sale of 50% off too make my descision and the email arrived yesterday and to my surprise they have cheaped out and were only offering 25% off for a 1 yr or 2 yr subscription
1 yr $82.50 = $112 cdn
2 yr $ 149.25 = $202 cdn
No thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back