iRacing | New Update Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A new update for iRacing is here - bringing about yet more changes and improvements as the simulation continues to develop at a rapid pace in recent months.

Created as more of a hotfix style patch than full build release, the latest improvements from the developers behind the wildly popular iRacing platform comes fresh on the back of the recent large Season 2 build, and is the fifth hotfix release for the title during this round of the season.

Key improvements and changes from the latest release include yet further enhancements to the new AI functionality within the simulation, various audio improvements and a number of miscellaneous changes to some of the online specific gameplay features that form the backbone of the title.

You can check out the season 2, patch 5 detailed notes below:

AI
  • Many improvements have been made to the AI Racing Seasons page!
    – – You can now search, filter, and Star AI Seasons.
    – – You may now use a grid or table view for your AI Seasons.
    – – Additional information has been added to each AI Season displayed in your grid or table view including: number of drivers, Skill Spread, and number of events.
  • The AI Season information modal window has been redesigned with an improved structure.
    – – Events in the AI Season schedule are more compact, and are easily expandable to view details about the event.
    – – The AI Roster in use by the AI Season is fully displayed, and each AI Driver includes a dropdown arrow to view their Driver Attributes.
  • The overall user experience and flow for creating and editing AI Seasons and AI Single Races has been improved.
    – – The Race Sessions step has been made more compact.
    – – The Event Settings step has been updated.
    – – Some additional clarification has been added to both Relative Skill and Skill Spread, and how these values influence your event.
  • The AI Rosters pages have been improved!
    – – Interface performance speed has been increased.
    – – The Skill Spread of an AI Roster is now displayed.
    – – Some additional clarification has been added to both Relative Skill and Skill Spread, and how these values influence your event.
User-Created Sessions

– Fixed an issue when editing a User-Created Session where the Session could become invalid due to a cache issue.

– Engine Power Adjustments are now available for use in User-Created Sessions!
– – This option is available on the Cars step, and it allows you to reduce the engine power of each participating vehicle by a small percentage.

Protests
  • The Protest modal window now dynamically validates as the form is being filled out.
  • For the Protest modal window, additional information has been added to the tooltip for the “Submit” button.
Simulation:

Trusted Spotters

• A new feature called Trusted Spotter has been added to iRacing!
    – – Trusted Spotter is available through both the iRacing BETA UI, and the iRacing Classic Membersite.
  • Trusted Spotter is an extension of the Friends feature.
    – – You may designate any Friend as a “Trusted Spotter”. This allows them to join you as a Spotter in any Session, including Hosted or League Sessions which have been flagged as restricted for viewing. Normal Spotter rules still apply. Trusted Spotters do not need a crew password, but if the Hosted Session has a password, the Trusted Spotter must use it.
    – – Remember, if you have the Spotting setting set to: “OFF”, no one will be able to join you as a Spotter.
  • For the iRacing BETA UI:
    – – To set a Friend as a Trusted Spotter, click to open the Friends List at the bottom right corner of the window. Then, click on the friend’s name to display a menu of options. Finally, click on the link to set Trusted Spotter.
    – – For joining a friend’s restricted Session as a Trusted Spotter, the Event they are in will be designated with a blue button and headset icon. Click on the Session to open it’s details window, and then click on your friend’s Spot button in the Entry List.
  • For the iRacing Classic Membersite:
    – – To set a Friend as a Trusted Spotter, navigate to the Account -> myRacers menu. There, mouse-over a friend’s helmet icon and click the link for “Set Trusted Spotter”.
    – – For joining a friend’s restricted Session as a Trusted Spotter, the iRacing Classic Membersite has no special designation and will display a normal Spotter icon in your Friends List, myRacer Online popup, or Spectator List.
Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny
  • A new system is now available to run during Qualifying Sessions to help prevent unrealistic preparation exploits. Generally speaking, the officials expect a driver to pull out under control, get up to speed relatively quickly, and complete their qualifying laps in a timely and controlled manner. In an Open Qualifying Session, some accommodations for slowing are made based on proximity to other racers.
  • The Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny system first applies a furled Black Flag as a warning to drivers who have not been compliant with the expectations. If the behavior continues, a Black Flag will be issued and the driver will be disqualified from the Qualifying Session.
    – – A furled Black Flag warning will be reset when leaving the car, resetting it to the pits, or completing the current lap. However, this does not clear the warning – a second violation will trigger a disqualification from the Qualifying Session.
  • There are several levels of strictness available for the Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny system. The more strictly the system is being administered, the less leeway is granted to the racers before warnings and penalties are issued.
    – – The levels of Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny available are: Off, Permissive, Lenient, Moderate, Strict, and Severe.
    – – The strictness level of Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny is customizable for User-Created Sessions from both the iRacing BETA UI and the Classic Membersite.
    – – For official sessions, this feature will initially only be applied to select high-level Series.
  • Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny is only available for use and is only applied for Qualifying sessions at asphalt tracks. There is no effect on tracks partially or completely composed of dirt racing surfaces.
  • Qualifying Conduct Scrutiny information for an event is visible in the Simulator in the Info tab under “RACE STATUS”. This also includes loaded Replays.
  • The admin command: “!clear #” may be used to remove a Qualification Conduct Scrutiny disqualification Black Flag.
Race Control
  • Two new Admin commands for controlling the timing of the start of a Race have been added: “!gridset N” and “!gridstart”
    – – Once a Race Session starts and the gridding countdown begins, a Race Admin can take control of the countdown by using the new command: “!gridset N”, to specify the number (N) of minutes they want the timer to count down from. This also disables the usual automatic shortening of the timer that happens as soon as everyone grids. Then, the Race Admin can either wait for that timer to count all the way down, or use the same command again to re-set the countdown timer, or they can directly trigger the beginning of the start of the light sequence or parade lap by using the new command: “!gridstart”, which immediately ends the gridding countdown.
  • The admin command: “!dq #” immediately disqualifies the entire team and nullifies the scoring for the entire event. This admin command cannot be undone or cleared by other admin commands.
Cautions Do Not Count (DNC Cautions)
  • Fixed an issue in how Races utilizing Cautions Do Not Count (DNC) deal with cars that have slipped down a lap during the formation of the Pace Field. This issue had left them at the front of the pacing field instead of at the back.
    – – In a normal race, NOT a DNC race, if someone who is stopped during Caution formation ends up being lapped by the pace car, but then gets going again up near the front of the field – they would just stay there, because they lost a lap to the field. However, this behavior is not right for DNC, since laps are not being counted during the caution, and now that person is placed in front of everyone and has an advantage as the restart comes around.
    – – This fix makes it so that, during a DNC race, if someone who’s stopped and losing positions down the pace field during caution formation (the time between when the caution is thrown and when the leader gets to the S/F line) they’ll slide no further than the back of the field: if they end up getting passed by the pace car, they don’t get slotted in front of everyone else, they will just get told to drop past everyone to the back of the field.
  • When DNC Cautions are enabled, and the race immediately goes back to Caution after having just gone Green, cars that are identified as having caused the Yellow are sent to the back of the field. Previously, the field would have been set up as if the race had not gone Green.
Pit Stops
  • For Indycar pit stops, fixed an issue where the car could become stuck in the pits if there was a fuel leak.
Audio
  • Sawtooth curb sounds have been improved.
  • Tire scrub sounds have been rebalanced for the following vehicles:
    – – ARCA Menards Chevrolet Impala
    – – Dallara DW12
    – – NASCAR Cup Series Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
    – – NASCAR Cup Series Ford Mustang
    – – NASCAR Cup Series Toyota Camry
    – – NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro
    – – NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang
    – – NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Supra
    – – Supercars Ford Mustang GT
    – – Supercars Holden ZB Commodore
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Cup Chevrolet Impala COT – 2009
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Cup Chevrolet SS – 2013
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Cup Ford Fusion – 2016
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala – 2012
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro – 2014
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang – 2016
    – – [Legacy] NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Camry – 2015
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Ford Falcon – 2009
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Ford FG Falcon – 2014
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Holden VF Commodore – 2014
  • Transmission whine at low RPMs has been improved for the following cars:
    – – Supercars Ford Mustang GT
    – – Supercars Holden ZB Commodore
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Ford Falcon – 2009
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Ford FG Falcon – 2014
    – – [Legacy] V8 Supercar Holden VF Commodore – 2014
Telemetry
  • New live telemetry values have been added for displaying the previous and best laps for each car. These values are as follows: CarIdxLastLapTime, CarIdxBestLapTime, and CarIdxBestLapNum.
  • Fixed an issue where several telemetry values were not updating correctly when spectating a live event and watching from the head of the tape. These values include: CarIdxPosition, CarIdxClassPosition, and CarIdxF2Time.
Cars:

Audi R8 LMS

• Fuel consumption rate has been reduced slightly.
BMW Z4 GT3
Dallara DW12
  • The likelihood of hyperextending front and rear wheels has been reduced.
Dallara IR18
  • The likelihood of hyperextending front and rear wheels has been reduced.
Ferrari 488 GT3
Ford GT – 2017
  • -ngine sounds for in-car cameras have been improved with more bass and less residual frequencies.
Ford GT GT3
Lucas Oil Off Road Pro Trucks
  • (ALL) – Durability of the engine area has been increased, particularly for surviving hard jump landings.
McLaren MP4-12C GT3
Mercedes-AMG GT3
Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR
  • Engine sounds for in-car cameras have been improved with more bass and less residual frequencies.
Ruf RT 12R Track
Super Late Model
  • Drafting model has been updated.
  • Engine cooling has been updated.
Supercars Ford Mustang GT
  • Maximum cold tire pressures have been increased to 50 psi.
  • Superspeedway drop gear ratio has been made slightly taller to give more margin when running in a draft.
Supercars Holden ZB Commodore
  • Maximum cold tire pressures have been increased to 50 psi.
  • Superspeedway drop gear ratio has been made slightly taller to give more margin when running in a draft.
Tracks:

Knoxville Raceway
  • Fixed a visual issue where using a very low starting track usage value would make the track surface appear worn-in.
Lernerville Speedway
  • Additional checkpoints have been added to prevent a course-cut through the in-field.
Richmond Raceway
  • A handful of advertisements have been updated.
Talladega Superspeedway
  • Additional safety foam barriers have been added.
  • Some advertisements have been updated.
Twin Ring Motegi
  • Additional checkpoints have been added to enforce the pit exit merge procedure.

iRacing is an PC exclusive racing simulation, predominantly for online gameplay.

Check the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment for hints, tips and tricks from our community to help you get the most from this simulation.

iRacing patch 2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed it today, but I don't understand it yet. I signed for a Mazda race during practice, as soon as practice finished I got a screen with a 15.00 minutes countdown. I was expecting qualify then, but nothing happened. Can someone help? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Signed it today, but I don't understand it yet. I signed for a Mazda race during practice, as soon as practice finished I got a screen with a 15.00 minutes countdown. I was expecting qualify then, but nothing happened. Can someone help? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
When practice ends, you have to press escape and go to the garage and then press the race tab at the top right. From there it will re load the track and take you to the qualify and race session.

The AI racing even at this early stage is very good.I have played other sims racing with AI and you occasionally have a very realistic race with the right car,right track and settings.However it is to often spoiled by a poor race when AI are way to fast,to slow or stack up behind a slow car.
The AI racing in Iracing is very consistant from track to track & the settings are so good that the more you tailor them to your liking the better the experience becomes.You can also for example change the speed or aggressiveness of individual drivers during a championship.
Only negatives I had over a multiclass 13 race championship is occasionally the Porsche GT3 Cup car would tuck in behind an MX5 on a straight when lapping,the AI are slow on standing starts(rolling starts are better) & there is the odd slow corner for AI at some tracks.

When practice ends, you have to press escape and go to the garage and then press the race tab at the top right. From there it will re load the track and take you to the qualify and race session.

Thanks for your help, but it does not work for me. When I go to garage, there's no race tab to press. Just a setup page, that in this case nothing to change as it's fixed. I have a green button saying Passed an other saying Done, but does nothing I guess.

• Deleted member 205301

Thanks for your help, but it does not work for me. When I go to garage, there's no race tab to press. Just a setup page, that in this case nothing to change as it's fixed. I have a green button saying Passed an other saying Done, but does nothing I guess.

...Simple : you were not on a race server, you were on a practice one ;)
so you had NOT registerd to a race, you just joined a practice server...
there are 3 sorts of servers : race, practice, and time trial ... you can only register for a race 20 min before it start, the lign with the time (GMT) become red when you are abble to register...
@++

Attachments

• ir.jpg
    ir.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 261

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 288 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years