Iracing new membership up 50%

I came across this article, apparently since the start of the coronavirus shutdown iracings active user base has jumped from 110,000 to 160,000!

I gotta give credit to the iracing staff, they took a bad situation with the Corona virus, used there license partners to put things together in a short period of time and just killed it.

I believe there is 5 pro series currently using the service and streaming on national tv

The part that impresses me is that is 50,000 PC sim racers.
Hopefully that extra increase in cash flow will result in the hiring of more staff and faster development times.

Good times for iracers!

Last edited:
@Maaznz
Im not stretching anything here my good man.:rolleyes:
I think it was about 2 - maybe 3 years ago.
But this information doesnt matter anything for people who are sure they have the right oppinion.:whistling:
If I had said ½ years ago you would just have said: Ohh then you cannot say anything about how iRaicings TM feels.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: And if I had said 3 months ago you would just have said: Ohh then you cannot say anything about how iRaicings TM feels - because the car you have driven didnt have the latest TM update.
I have also tried to argument against a Jehovah's Witnesses and it was completely impossible to even imply that they could be wrong in their oppinions. Because they know the Truth:sneaky:

Or alternatively, for those old enough to remember, you could compare it to the VHS and Betamax video formats. VHS was definitely the worst of the two but because it had the most users and backing, it became the de facto standard.

Just in case you are not familiar with what actually happened in the market:
Betamax vs VHS

TL,DR: From the last paragraph of the article- "VHS won because "the whole product" did what people wanted at a price they were willing to pay. And when people use the VHS v Beta analogy, they are not indicating a market failure but their own ignorance."

iRacing is relatively successful because they are providing a package that's better than all the other options out there, for a price people are willing to pay. Added to that, people know that they are investing in a product that is continuously being improved upon, unlike other sims that get thrown to the wayside after 3-5 years of development.

I agree with one of your later comments that everyone should play whatever sim they enjoy, but why would anyone spend their precious time on forums dedicated to a product that they don't enjoy is beyond me.

Just in case you are not familiar with what actually happened in the market:
Betamax vs VHS

TL,DR: From the last paragraph of the article- "VHS won because "the whole product" did what people wanted at a price they were willing to pay. And when people use the VHS v Beta analogy, they are not indicating a market failure but their own ignorance."

Off topic but I can’t let this one slip through! Sadly, the article seems to be written by someone who never really used both systems - I did. The author even admitted that he’d only seen Betamax for comparison in a shop. The Betamax picture was noticeably better than VHS and generally had a lot less noise. Sound was also better with Betamax. VHS became dominant because it was cheaper to buy both the recorder and tapes, had much better marketing (particularly in the US) and JVC was happy to licence the technology to other manufacturers which Sony wasn’t until it was too late. The fact that Betamax was technically better was simply outweighed by the price and better availability of VHS. The other significant factor in favour of VHS was that you could record a whole movie on one tape which wasn’t possible with Betamax when it was first released. VHS wasn't better, it was just more popular. Short, but to the point: https://legacybox.com/blogs/analog/vhs-beat-betamax

Last edited:
Off topic but I can’t let this one slip through! Sadly, the article seems to be written by someone who never really used both systems - I did. The author even admitted that he’d only seen Betamax for comparison in a shop. The Betamax picture was noticeably better than VHS and generally had a lot less noise. Sound was also better with Betamax. VHS became dominant because it was cheaper to buy both the recorder and tapes, had much better marketing (particularly in the US) and JVC was happy to licence the technology to other manufacturers which Sony wasn’t until it was too late. The fact that Betamax was technically better was simply outweighed by the price and better availability of VHS. The other significant factor in favour of VHS was that you could record a whole movie on one tape which wasn’t possible with Betamax when it was first released. VHS wasn't better, it was just more popular. Short, but to the point: https://legacybox.com/blogs/analog/vhs-beat-betamax

(deleted text)
I could argue VHS was technically more superior as I could record two hours instead of one. Swings and roundabouts.

Getting back onto your original Betamax vs VHS analogy and sim racing; what is it exactly you wanted to convey?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing