iRacing: New Damage Model Video (Preview)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have released a fresh video showing the current state of the work-in-progress damage model for the simulation.

Seemingly making great strides with the way the iRacing simulation represents damage when out on track, this latest preview video gives fans a very impressive demonstration of just how far things are progressing within the title - although we still don't yet know exactly when this new gameplay feature will be arriving to the popular racing simulation.

In the latest video, we once again see various cars in action out on the circuit, however be sure to check out a sneaky look at the yet to be released Audi TCR machine - a very welcome new piece of content set to arrive within the iRacing store in the reasonably near future...

Stay up to date with the latest news, check out the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

iRacing Damage Preview.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Based on what exactly? It has flaws like every tyre model but the driving feels realistic. I would only put ACC ahead of iRacing in terms of "tyre feel".
lul, check out this video
ACC itself has been criticized, I know many that say that AC is still better.
Most people also think rF2 is still king.

Add to that
  • For T7M, feedback from real Skip Barber driver was, that it is nowhere near realistic
  • F1 drivers have openly criticized how terrible the McLaren F1 car is
  • iRacing is also often referred to as "ice Racing"
  • I heard once (never seen myself) that there is more feedback to the issue on the official forum, though I also know that a lot of criticism has been censored by iRacing

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, the Skip Barber, funny enough, real life driver complained about it being totally different to real life.
At every new tire model update. they promised in the past how realistic the new tire model would be, it remained to this date the worst of all active simracing titles.

Interesting because I was just listening to a bunch of guys telling my how much fun Skip Barber was. They loved the track and how the car drove.

I have also enjoyed driving Dirt Rally 1 and now 2 and I know they are not realistic in some ways, but they are a lot of fun to drive and have enough sense of realism to them.

iRacing has the only realistic racing System when taken as a whole out there. Seriously what other competition is there for what they do? I know some people were hoping ACC might be competition to that, but based on what I've seen and my copy of ACC is collecting dust, iRacing has nothing to worry about any time in the near future.

• Deleted member 113561

Interesting because I was just listening to a bunch of guys telling my how much fun Skip Barber was. They loved the track and how the car drove.
Fun is great :) but doesn't mean realistic. It is supposed to be SIMulation after all, otherwise why not play Mario Kart or NFS?

League racing is the competition and I find it still far better, you actually can kick out all the idiots that ruin it, control your content, set your specifications and have your own calendar.
Especially for these big events I find iRacing terrible.

Yep I'll need to find room for Shift+R on my button box now, thanks iRacing.
Oh, for those that don't iRace that's to get a tow.

Yeah, I jumped in with both feet after minimal practice made it 20min into a 30min race spun off the track was towed to the pit and then got too eager to leave and was black flagged. I now know that they flash the maximum speed in the pit area on the screen and I need to take note of that. So I got DQ'd because I didn't realize what being black flagged meant. Up until that point I had only been bumped from behind at the beginning of the race. Of course "maybe" I could have checked the aid that limits your pit speed automatically... Oh well! It was a lot of fun and I learned a few things.

Looks very impressive, it makes me wonder if there is thought to potential driver injury in leagues. Perhaps a concussion puts you out for a race, or a broken arm you miss 6 weeks. Now you have real consequences.:cautious:

For other sims, I've suggested some equivalent of driver injury and limited cars per session. Somebody else mentioned component changes for endurance race pit stops.

There was a terrible turn based racing management game I used to play on the Amiga when I was a kid that had driver injury. I've also said, flight sims have had pilot termination in combat for as long as I can remember so why not this?

There's lots that could be done. Likelihood is another thing.

Last edited:
This damage model looks impressive...amazing job
The only thing I see is that taking in count the speed the cars seem to have in the video i think there should be more chassis deformation...maybe using finite elements you can achieve better deformation control. For the rest it looks awesome

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 202 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years