iRacing | NASCAR AI Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The next content batch to receive the AI treatment in iRacing has been released - NASCAR!

Ok, not all the tracks are currently capable of hosting races against the AI, for now only Talladega Super Speedway and Daytona International Speedway have been AI-enabled, but today marks an important milestone for the simulation as they bring computer controlled opponents to oval racing for the first time within the history of the sim.

Many oval racing fans have been left with something of a lack of quality single player experience for NASCAR or IndyCar style racing in recent years, so I can easily imagine this new AI-enabled content within iRacing to become very popular, very quickly once the studio manage to iron out the inevitable bugs from such a new piece of functionality.

As has been the case throughout the whole AI deployment, this new update is to been seen as something of a 'soft launch', with further enhancements and a wider roll out expected over the coming months.

Talladega and Daytona NASCAR joins the previous released Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, Skip Barber and Mazda MX5 Cup AI options on selected circuits within the simulation.

iRacing Update.jpg

Full update notes can be found below:

iRacing BETA Interface - (03.02.14-beta)

- The iRacing BETA Interface splash screen has been updated with a "Reconnect" button when iRacing is unable to connect to servers. The splash screen will also now automatically advance to the iRacing BETA Interface once maintenance is complete if a user has arrived at it during maintenance.

- The default Restart type for AI Races has been changed to Double File Back.
- - Please note, if you select to create a Single AI Race using your Last Settings, the previous default Restart type was Double File Inside.

AI Races
- Asphalt Oval AI Races are now available!

- New challengers approach! The following cars have been enabled for AI Races:
- - NASCAR Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
- - NASCAR Cup Ford Mustang
- - NASCAR Cup Toyota Camry

- The following track configurations have been enabled for AI races:
- - Daytona International Speedway - Oval
- - Okayama International Circuit - Full Course
- - Sebring International Raceway - International
- - Talladega Superspeedway

- AI Driver behavior for a variety of activities has been upgraded, including:
- - Throttle and brake application
- - Pace lap driving and spacing
- - Low speed driving
- - Deceleration actions
- - Drafting tactics
- - Two-wide racing
- - Learning individual track corners
- - Racing in traffic
- - Opponent car location prediction
- - Caution flag flying
- - Passing while pitting

- Fixed a variety of issues with AI Driver behavior, including:
- - AI Drivers could repeatedly miss their pit stall and then panic, behaving erratically.
- - AI Drivers could rear-end other vehicles when the Caution flag was thrown.
- - AI Drivers could sometimes needlessly wait behind other vehicles when preparing to enter the pits.

- Fixed an issue during post-race where the AI Race Session could crash if an AI Driver missed it's pit stall.

Cautions
- A new caution mode has been added: Full-Course Cautions where Caution Laps Do Not Count as Race Laps (DNC Cautions).
- - This caution mode is modeled after short-track oval racing, where laps under caution are not counted, though it is not intended to exactly mirror any particular series' set of rules.
- - DNC Cautions functions as follows:
- - - At the instant the caution flag is flown, the field ordering is determined (there is no racing back to the line). One goal is to roll-back scoring to the prior completed lap, thus undoing any passing that might have occurred during the lap that brings out the caution. This is accomplished as follows:
- - - - The lead contender on track and all cars on track behind them to the S/F line are reordered as to their most recent lap crossing. Laps are no longer scored for this set of cars until the green flag following the caution period.
- - - - The cars on track behind the S/F line backwards to the lead contender on track are reordered as to their most recent lap crossing, and placed behind the other group. These cars will have their next lap crossing under caution scored, thus preventing them from going a lap-down. A disabled car that does not make it back to the line will not be awarded this lap. These laps will be scored so as to preserve how they are sorted into the pace field. Subsequent laps for these cars while under caution are not scored.
- - - - Any cars not on track when the caution flies will be placed at the back of the field when they exit the pits, and will not have any laps scored during the caution period.
- - - If the selected restart setting (single file, double file, etc.) indicates that lapped cars are to go to the back of the field for the restart, and lapped cars will not get a wave-around to un-lap themselves as the caution is ending, then lapped cars will be placed into the initial pace order behind cars that are on the lead lap. Since laps under caution are not being scored, these cars will be directed to fall-back behind the lead lap cars, as opposed to passing the pace car to catch up to the end of the field. When nearing the end of the caution period, lapped cars that have become co-mingled with lead lap cars due to pitting will again be directed to fall-back and let the lead lap cars by.
- - With this new caution mode enabled, fuel is NOT consumed during these potential extra laps.

- For creating a Hosted Session via the iRacing BETA Interface, the DNC Cautions option may be found at the bottom of the "Track Options" step.
- - The option, "Automatic Full Course Yellows" must first be enabled in order to enable DNC Cautions.
- - - This Race Option has also been added to Heat Racing configurations for any Heat Races in the race weekend.

- For creating a Hosted Session via the Classic Membersite, the old caution selection dropdown has been replaced with two new checkboxes for Automatic Full-Course Cautions, and for enabling Lucky Dog rule.
- - The new setting to enabled DNC Cautions may be found in the CAUTIONS section.
- - The setting to restart single file when one caution is followed immediately by another caution is in the RESTARTS section.

- The chat message identifying which type of restart a Caution is to use has been updated.

Rendering
- Fixed an issue where the environment map was applied to materials rendered inside cockpit mirrors in an incorrect color space, which resulted in sky reflections rendering much too bright in mirrors and an extreme bloom effect on mirrors.

- Fixed an issue where the sky could be rendered in an incorrect color space.

Visual Effects
- Fixed an issue where solar flares were sometimes missing or the wrong color.

Weather
- Wind calculations have been updated to prevent relatively predictable cycles and patterns that could sometimes occur.

- The prevailing winds direction computations have been updated.
- - This fixes an issue when using "Generate Weather" where the average wind direction may have been incorrect at some tracks.

Clubs
- The Club Japan logo has been updated.

CARS:
Audi RS 3 LMS

- Transmission rev match and downshift blip parameters have been updated.

BMW M8 GTE
- Fixed an issue with the BMW logo on the wing.

NASCAR Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
- This car, formerly named "NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - 2018", has been renamed the "NASCAR Cup Chevrolet Camaro ZL1" due to real-world branding updates.
- - NASCAR branding on this vehicle has also been updated for the 2020 season.

- V7 tires have been adjusted to improve straight-line stability.

- Level-of-Detail (LODs) models have been adjusted to improve framerate performance at far distances.

- The season setup for Auto Club Speedway - Oval has been updated.

- The season setups for ISM Raceway (day and night) have been updated.

NASCAR Cup Ford Mustang
- This car, formerly named "NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Mustang", has been renamed the "NASCAR Cup Ford Mustang" due to real-world branding updates.
- NASCAR branding on this vehicle has also been updated for the 2020 season.

- Level-of-Detail (LODs) models have been adjusted to improve framerate performance at far distances.

NASCAR Cup Toyota Camry
- This car, formerly named "NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry", has been renamed the "NASCAR Cup Toyota Camry" due to real-world branding updates.
- - NASCAR branding on this vehicle has also been updated for the 2020 season.

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Chevrolet Silverado

NASCAR Gander Outdoors Toyota Tundra

NASCAR K&N Pro Chevrolet Impala

- The season setup for Atlanta Motor Speedway - Oval has been updated.

NASCAR Truck Series Chevrolet Silverado - 2013

NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro - 2019

- The season setups for Bristol Motor Speedway (day and night) have been updated.

NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang - 2019

- The season setups for Bristol Motor Speedway (day and night) have been updated.

NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Supra

Supercars Ford Mustang GT
- The low fuel warning now persists for 10 seconds before self-clearing.

Supercars Holden ZB Commodore
- The low fuel warning now persists for 10 seconds before self-clearing.

VW Jetta TDI Cup
- Transmission rev match and downshift blip parameters have been updated.

[Archive] NASCAR Cup Chevrolet SS

[Archive] NASCAR Cup Ford Fusion

[Archive] NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala - 2011

[Archive] NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet Impala COT - 2011

[Archive] NASCAR Xfinity Toyota Camry

[Archive] NASCAR Xfinity Chevrolet Camaro

[Archive] NASCAR Xfinity Ford Mustang

TRACKS:
Atlanta Motor Speedway

- Track surface parameters have been adjusted slightly for a more accurate racing experience.

Auto Club Speedway
- (Oval) - Camera set has been updated.

Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari
- Fixed an issue where pine trees could appear too shiny in some locations.

Bristol Motor Speedway
- Track surface parameters have been adjusted slightly for a more accurate racing experience.

Chicagoland Speedway

Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya
- (Historic) - A pair of course-cuts now trigger a 1x and gain-time penalty.

Daytona International Speedway - 2007
- NASCAR Cup branding has been added.

Daytona International Speedway
- NASCAR Cup branding has been added.

Mount Panorama Circuit
- Camera set has been updated.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway
- Animated flagman has been added to the three Road course configs.

Okayama International Circuit
- Fixed an issue where the trees could appear shiny without wind.

Phoenix International Raceway - 2008
- NASCAR Cup series ads have been updated.

Wild West Motorsports Park
- Fixed an issue with the generated cubemap at this track.

World Wide Technology Raceway
- This track, formerly named "Gateway Motorsports Park", has been renamed the "World Wide Technology Raceway" due to real-world branding updates

iRacing is available exclusively on PC.

Want to ask our community something about the sim? Start a thread on the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

Last edited:
On a side note.
As great as the AI are and only gonna improve with time....it kinda boggles my mind why anyone would even consider getting into iracing just for offline ai racing, soley due to the cost?
Hell, if ya got money to burn....go for it ..it's good!
Personally for the rest grab AMS or RF2 for $20 lol
Agree it would be costly to get into iRacing just for the AI....I personally got back into iRacing after a 2 year layoff just waiting for the implementation of AI,....although I have 40% of the content already so I am a captured audience with money invested :)...well worth it to me personally, especially the Oval introduction.

It is interesting how this is impacting iRacing users.

I have a friend who has been into iRacing for YEARS.... but he has primarily focused on Ovals.

He's been playing with the Porsche 911 GT3 against the AI and has started too drive road races for the first time in ages. He got a Class C license in Road racing that has been collecting dust.

So I think the AI will be useful as a gateway for iRacing users to branch out after getting comfortable with an area that is outside their normal area of racing.

So I think the AI will be useful as a gateway for iRacing users to branch out after getting comfortable with an area that is outside their normal area of racing.
Absolutely agree....really like the Oval racing, but it is very intimidating, so practicing with the AI will help get some confidence, ...hopefully, lol...plus having AI I can practice as much as I want without having to wait.

+ Car/wheel feedback - it's certainly much better than in 2012, the cars do feel connected to the track. However, I couldn't find a good balance. The FFB seems to need to be quite heavy to get any real sense of track feel and car weight (much heavier than a real MX5 Cup car), kerb feel is generally good if a bit aggressive as a result of having to run the wheel weight on the high side.

I agree, which is why I use irFFB, a mod to the default feedback in iRacing.

I prefer open-wheel cars but found the strong feedback (to simulate downforce) was too exaggerated with my Fanatec. With irFFB, I find the aero to influence the feedback less, and the communication of traction to be more clear. The members page is here.

Certainly worth a try if you don't like the feedback provided by default iRacing config.

Well...after about 200 laps of Talladega practicing with the AI, which are absolutely fantastic...I thought I would register for a real 'Human' race on Talladega and as luck would have it there was a race in 20 mins, so I registered.
Did the Practice, Qualify and everything seems just like racing in the AI function, hit Race and...Holy cow:confused::confused:...64 were registered on the Gird...ok,ok, don't panic my Qualifying was rubbish, will be placed at the back, but no...was placed 12 on the Grid...Holy shite :confused::roflmao:.
Race started in the familiar way just like in the AI function, feeling comfortable, 'Go Green' and we off and a group of approx 12 cars up front and I was at the back of that 12, not sure where all the other cars were, but stayed focused on 'Holding my Line':thumbsup::thumbsup:....then a wreck started up the front, not caused by me:mad:...I had not even done half a lap of Talladega, this was not like practicing with the AI...and got caught up with no where to go and was wrecked.
I said through my Mic, jokingly:laugh:....'Should have stayed with the AI'.... and a response came back with a slightly abusive nature...LOL:roflmao::roflmao:....although I can only assume the response was directed at me as I was the only one speaking.
After 2 years away from iRacing and only 're-subbing' because of the implementation of the AI, it's sad to see things are still the same when racing real Humans....:roflmao:lol

Practicing with the AI did give me the confidence to get into a real race with their Humans counterparts.

However, on another note, looking at all the 'Entries List' before the Race, I did notice my 'Ping' was 275 and all the others were around the 30 - 45 mark, and thought this could be a problem if I did get into a pack of cars, 3 wide with cars all around me....so in the future I am not to worried about racing real humans anyway as the AI Road and Oval racing function is absolutely awesome and I can get my 'Nascar Fix' easily doing it this way....with no Ping problems, No abuse and only myself to blame when there is a wreck.:)

Last edited:
When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life? And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. I’m I right?

When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life?
No...you need to have a subscription to be able to use the Track you have just purchased...and if your subscription runs out and you do not re-new that subscription you can not use that track because you can not log in until you re-new your sub....when you do re-new your subscription after a numbers of years away like I did, all the tracks and cars you have already purchased will be available to use again.
Hopefully that made sense...correct me if I am wrong.

And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. I’m I right?
You can use all the tracks you have purchased during your subscription time period....you can not use any track or car that you have not purchased during your subscription period.

• Deleted member 205301

@M D Gourley yeah, oval racing (in low splits) are more about avoiding wrecks than beeing fast or consistent... On higher splits it's different....
But your story is all about superspeedways, and that's why I usually don't do one, that's why I was a bit disapointed seeing AI'ovals starts with superspeedways..
@++

When you buy a track in iRacing you can use this track without a subscription for the rest of your life?
nope, end of subscription = end of use
And with a subscription you can use all the tracks in the game during the subscription for only the costs of the subscription. ...
nope, only the ones you paid for
plus: you never own them outright, you only rent a right to use them, a bit like a book in a library, so if iRacing goes bankrupt tomorrow, everything is gone for good.

@M D Gourley I enjoy the way you write about your experiences, you've made me want to give the NASCAR AI a go. It's got to be better than NASCAR Heat 4 game that I tried on a free play on Xbox, the framerate was awful.

Sadly the abusive comments are what I remember most from iRacing when incidents happen, especially with the oval racing. These days if I race with other humans it's with the few friends I know and trust to race door to door and behave themselves (and all in Europe because as you rightly say ping plays its part in issues). We still have the odd incident - it's racing - but the friendships are good enough that we can laugh it off. The arguments and tantrums I've seen, when there is literally nothing at all at stake, with human online racing would have any real-world track user ejected and banned from the circuit.

If you can find a good group of racers - the Automobilista regulars here on RD were very welcoming - it can be good fun. As soon as anyone starts taking things too seriously, in my opinion, it's time to run away! Good close racing with decent AI is more satisfying more of the time, let's hope the AI keeps getting better and better!

I enjoy the way you write about your experiences, you've made me want to give the NASCAR AI a go. It's got to be better than NASCAR Heat 4 game that I tried on a free play on Xbox, the framerate was awful.

Sadly the abusive comments are what I remember most from iRacing when incidents happen, especially with the oval racing. These days if I race with other humans it's with the few friends I know and trust to race door to door and behave themselves (and all in Europe because as you rightly say ping plays its part in issues). We still have the odd incident - it's racing - but the friendships are good enough that we can laugh it off. The arguments and tantrums I've seen, when there is literally nothing at all at stake, with human online racing would have any real-world track user ejected and banned from the circuit.

If you can find a good group of racers - the Automobilista regulars here on RD were very welcoming - it can be good fun. As soon as anyone starts taking things too seriously, in my opinion, it's time to run away! Good close racing with decent AI is more satisfying more of the time, let's hope the AI keeps getting better and better!
Thank you for the kind words....I had NASCAR Heat as well and while it provided me with my Nascar fix it is not as good as iRacings AI Oval....however, I am just a noob and do not know the finer strategies of Nascar Oval racing and having just read the iRacing forum about the Nascar AI, the more experienced racers added their input / suggestions to make it better.....but for me personally as the Nascar AI stands at the moment...AWESOME :thumbsup:
AMS2 is just around the corner....totally looking forward to that day :inlove:

Finally after 250 laps and approx 25 restarts I got a Podium finish...LOL :laugh::thumbsup:...not a win only 3rd, but I'll take that, Phew....Fantastic iRacing AI and an intense overall experience just to get there, but man o' man when you finally get there what a thrill :inlove:. (total noob here, easily excited :rolleyes: )
Listening to your 'Spotter' I found to be crucial....3 wide in the centre, Hold your line'...lol and although I mainly set 10 Lap races it was only till about the 7 lap I managed to work my way forward from last place by drafting other cars to the main leading pack and try to get through to the front.
A few screenshots of the race.
0 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM finish copy.jpg
3 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM copy.jpg

A nice sunny morning at Talladega :inlove:
1 iRACING TALLADEGA 3rd PODIUM copy.jpg

Finally after 250 laps and approx 25 restarts I got a Podium finish...LOL :laugh::thumbsup:...not a win only 3rd, but I'll take that, Phew....Fantastic iRacing AI and an intense overall experience just to get there, but man o' man when you finally get there what a thrill :inlove:. (total noob here, easily excited :rolleyes: )
Listening to your 'Spotter' I found to be crucial....3 wide in the centre, Hold your line'...lol and although I mainly set 10 Lap races it was only till about the 7 lap I managed to work my way forward from last place by drafting other cars to the main leading pack and try to get through to the front.
A few screenshots of the race.
View attachment 348368View attachment 348369

A nice sunny morning at Talladega :inlove:
View attachment 348370

Have you got the sweary spotter? That makes things a little fun too. Especially when it goes wrong.

just go to tradingpaints and download the full sets, there is a "how to" somewhere on the iRacing AI-forum. done it the week the Porsche came out and worked nicely. forgot how it works in the meantime, though, haven't touched the AI since that first week, sorry.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 418 39.8%